1911Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
ol1911
013 is cclemen’s last three, that was directed at him sorry for not being clear on that. Was your TRP Operator NIB? Was any thing changed like the recoil spring? The main reasons barrel links break are:
1. To short of a link causing the barrel lug not to contact the frame meaning the link absorbs all or most of the rearward unlocking force. The short link also reduces the amount of lock up between the upper locking lugs and the slide meaning a quicker unlock and more force transferred to the pistol instead of absorbed in the locked up phase of the firing cycle.
2. To much slop between the link hole and the slide stop shaft so that when the gun cycles force is transferred to the link and it brakes. Slide stop pins should be .198 ( what most manufactures use) to .200 ( best found in the Wilson bullet proof and the SVI cal spefic) to avoid this.
3. Over cut bottom barrel lug so that it dose not contact the slide stop pin when locked up meaning the link is taking all of the force required to lock the barrel to the slide causing the link to fail.
4. Some combination of or all of 1-3.
When you have things like this happening the cycle timing of the pistol is all wrong and can lead to other parts failing. Evan in a simi custom pistol such as the TRP Operator you may receive that matting of a combination of parts that all or most of them lie at the extreme end of the acceptable tolerance. Feels good to the assembler, looks good to the QA and passes the test firing. The problems only start after it is shot in and the extreme
tolerances start to beat on each other causing tolerances to become worse and breakage occurs. This is the price
paid to have a gun that will function “ out of the box” you will hit that bad combo of parts sooner or later.
When I do any work to a pistol that is eather a full custom build or a full custom conversion all of the areas I mentioned will be hard fit by hand or checked for tolerance and overszed parts fitted ware needed. Most of the time I have to fire 500 rounds jist to have the slide close 80% of the time without a bump to the rear of it. At that point I have the owner finish the break in with 500 more rounds then it comes back for a full tear down and is reassembled checking for abnormal wear and excessive tolerances.
I am sure SA will find and correct any problems with your TRP Operator.
Out,
2011BLDR

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
2011BLDR:
I'm interested in shooting IPSC and USPSA with the OP. Of course I want it light and fast. Any tuning suggestions?

·
Registered
110 Posts
MBLASTER
What bullet weight do you think you want to use? I run a 185GR Montana Gold JHP at 1000 FPS , more speed than needed for USPSA. I recommend a 15, 16.5, 17.5 or 18.5 LB Wolf Variable power recoil spring depending on your load and grip strength. Order one of each and test fire till you have the right one to match your load and grip. One of the great advantages of a high end 1911 is its ability to be fine tuned to the shooter and the load. This allows the shooter to progress & keep adjusting the pistol to that progress keeping both in balance. For those willing to put the extra effort in to a 1911 it will reward you by allowing you to reach speed and accuracy levels previously unattainable. Do you have a smith you have worked with in the past? Or do you do your own tuning? Are you gowing to shoot at Norco?
Out
2011BLDR

·
Registered
171 Posts
you can avoid using a paper clip or the takedown pin for disassembly by doing the following.
1) cock the hammer
2). engage the ILS lock.

This will retain the mainspring and mainspring cap when you 3).take the mainspring housing out of the frame and
4). toss it in the garbage
and finally....
5) replace it with a Smith and Alexander Mainspring housing with magwell....

If your gun has Armorycoat...you might skip
items 4 and 5.

·
Registered
225 Posts
:biglaugh:
45 thud - your right. You would still need a paper clip for the flgr through. Even though you can take the slide off wtihout capturing the spring It's virtually impossible to remove the reverse plug and recoil spring without capturing it. It's a simple solution - just keep a paper clip in your wallet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I knew a paperclip would come in handy for something. Now how about all those sticky notes all over the office? Maybe a new form of cleaning wad? lol:rolleyes:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.