1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have ser. 70 Colt Commander in 9mm (ser. # 70BS11xx) that I want to restore. The gun is original (slide, frame, barrel, trigger, sights, etc.) except that an earlier owner decided to shake and bake it with some kind of coating. I intend to have the gun professionally reblued but since I've never seen an untouched 1911 Commander in 9mm, I have some questions as to how it might have looked like new:

1. The gun has wraparound rubber grips with a silver Colt logo. Are these likely the original grips or did Colt generally use wood grips with a Colt logo? A similar gun on GunsAmerica claims to be untouched and has checkered wooden grips with a Colt logo.

2. The hammer is black. Would the hammer have come from Colt in black or silver?

3. The barrel is also coated in black. Some Commanders seem to have a black coated barrel while in others it's sliver. Which, if any, would be the correct barrel color?

4. Would the barrel bushing be silver or black? Would it be a regular or collett bushing? The non-collett bushing on ther gun looks original, but I'm not sure.

5. The trigger is also coated black. I've seen some Colts with black triggers and others in silver. Again, which one would be correct for the model/period.

6. Would the correct maninspring housing be arched with serrations? The former owner stuck on a ms housing with a lanyard loop.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Let me see how much I can help.

1. They came with checkered walnut with gold medallions. They also came with smooth walnut grips with I think silver medallions. I don't know the time frame for the different grips.

2. The hammer would be blue steel with the sides polished.

3. Barrel will be blue steel with the hood polished.

4. Blue steel bushing. No collet bushings on commanders.

5. Not totally sure, but I believe triggers were silver in finish, short serrated.

6. You're right on the msh, arched w/serrations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts