1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just started my 1911 experience about a year ago. I picked up a Springfield mil-spec and then sold it for a Kimber Grand Raptor II. I don't really enjoy the kimber and was looking into the MC operator. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what series the MC Operator is? Does it employ the swartz safety that the series II Kimbers use? I'm not a fan of it, and that is what I'm trying to avoid. Also, I hear alot of bad things about MIM parts. Not sure what they are, but does the springer use them? Lastly, for the guys that own the operator, what are you experiences...anything negative? I really love the look of the gun with the green and black, plus the 1913 rail. I think it'd be perfect....just looking for some input.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
If you do a search, you'l turn up a bunch of info on it. The MC Op uses the SA ILS system, which resides in the mainspring housing. Getting rid of it is as easy as swapping out mainspring housings. Personally, it doesn't bother me as I don't think the system will automatically lock it self "at the worst possible moment." In any case, there is some debate/personal preferences on the subject, but it is certainly less obtrusive than the S80 or the dreaded Swartz set up. MIM parts have never broken on me either but again, some folks are repulsed by MIM parts and replace them. My MC Op has ~4,500 rds thru it with nary an issue-ever. FWIW I had more issues with a Baer that had no MIM than my SAs...

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I've posted about mine several times. I know pistols can vary from one to the next, but my MC is as nicely fit and finished a 1911 as I've ever seen. Tight as a rock, but it runs as smooth as butter. Very accurate, and has fed anything I put in it thus far. I added a TRP magwell, some Wilson G10 grips, and a touch of grip tape on the front strap, and I have a real keeper here.

BTW, do seom "searching" around the various gunboards, and you'll find it very rare to find any negative posts on the MC Operators. As far as MIM goes, that's another whole debate. Opinions may vary, but mine is that anything CAN break, and you just have to fix it if it does. I have no plans to replace anything just because it's MIM unless it "goes south" on me. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
oes it employ the swartz safety that the series II Kimbers use?
It's purely a series 70 design except for the ILS system in the MSH which you can swap out.

I just finally got one after 2 years of drooling.

My observations:
1. Very good slide/frame fit--just as good as my S&W PC1911 & 945. Operates very smoothly.
2. Very good barrel/slide/bushing fit. Any tighter and it would be considered custom made.
3. Nice crown on barrel. Don't know if all the Loadeds have this, but I've seen this crowning on the MC's and TRP's.
4. Internals of the slide/frame are machined cleanly, unlike a couple of Loadeds and Milspecs that I've owned.
5. Creep in trigger sucks. I swapped out the MSH internals for a standard set-up, installed 19# mainspring, and adjusted the sear spring. Better pull now, but still has slight creep that I don't have on my Colt Commander.

I think the MC Operator is one of the best deals out there for it's fit and features. It has the same fit as the TRP's for around $350.00 less for online prices.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Kimber seemed to have more problems with MIM than all the other 1911 makers on the market based on my experience plus from reports on this forum and others. Springfield makes a great 1911 and while they have produced some pistols with problems there customer service has always been good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re

Well I only had a few days to play with mine before I had to come back to iraq..... But I can say that right out of the box i put 1000 rounds through it and not a single problem!!!!!!! im hooked!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My LW Operator is going in to EGW to be completely de-MIMd. Just feel like having a de-mim gun.

It will get a Wilson two-piece guide rod, Wilson MSH and a 10-8 rear sight as well.

My poor man's Wilson. For a lot less than a Wilson.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
1) Yes, the MC has MIM parts. De-MIM-ing the gun is cheap, and you could even have Springfield Armory Custom do it. MIM parts aren't the best, but they're not too bad, either. I give it a 99% chance you'll never have any problems with 'em.

2) Nope, no crappy Series II or Series 80 safeties like your Kimber had.

3) The ILS may never freeze up on you, but there are at least three documented cases where it has frozen on someone else. Get rid of it, not only will this make your gun more reliable but it will give you a significantly better trigger pull. Get NEW, non ILS mainspring housing internals, and you could either put them in the old MSH or get a brand new one and get rid of the ugly keyhole. Why not just have Springfield Custom do it while they have your guy anyway? Also, this is your chance to add a magwell, which helps with reloads and just fits in perfectly with the Operator's "combat gun" look. SA Custom will do this, too.

4) I've shot an MC of my friend's, and the fit and finish were great for a production gun. 100% reliable, for me at least. He said something about a problem with the full-length guide rod, but once he replaced it with a standard GI guide rod from Springfield's online store, the problems disappeared.

5) Also look into the TRP Operator. For a couple hundred more you could ditch those Pachmayr wrap-around grips and get 20 LPI checkering. This gun also comes with a magwell from the factory, but it doesn't matter if you're getting rid of the ILS anyway. Or, you could save money and, yes, you guessed it, have SA Custom checker the frontstrap of the MC-Op. for you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I Say Buy It!!!

I just bought one last week and picked it up on the 12th. I ran 250 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass through it and it ran FLAWLESSLY!

The only problem I had was that the left-side tritium insert fell out of my rear sight. I called SA and they will be fixing it. I Fedex'd the slide to them today and they will be repairing/replacing the sight and repairing the finish where the slide rubs on the frame/dust cover. They will also reimburse me for the overnight shipping as well. Kudos to SA for their response to my issue(s).

To me the sight issue and the finish issue get filed under "things happen"...I was more concerned with the operation of the pistol and I must say that it really is a tack hammer! My buddies and I were getting really consistent groups with it and were all really pleased with it.

As far as the MIM parts are concerned, I'm going to shoot it until something breaks then replace the MIM parts at that time.

I have one bud who is an H&K nut (like I was before discovering the 1911) and he even made a remark that he will be looking to purchase one pretty soon. I have a USP .45 V1 that I have had for about two years and loved very much. I bought a Champion G.I. in November '07 and haven't fired the H&K since!

I have another friend who is a S&W wheel gun buff and he even said that the trigger on the MC Operator, "wasn't bad"...which for him means that it is a really good gun!

All in all, for the price I am more than happy with my decision and I think you will be too should you decide to buy one.:rock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts