1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would like to know more about n frame model 57. its a 41 mag smith and wesson. definately works great but finish is a bit beat up with a little pitting. It has a 4 inch barrel. just curious if it would loose any value to hard chrome it, or should i just have it refinished in something else? i dont plan on shooting it that much since it is a 41 mag. haha couldnt afford to!

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
if it was me, I would refinish if it looked that bad, or just leave as is if it has a decent "experienced" look. most of the value is as a shooter anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Refinishing it will probably leave it near the same value or a little bit more. Unless you get it professionally re-done by someone like Fords or that caliber that can possibly remove the pitting and return it to factory (sometimes possible, sometimes not).

Your refinishing options would likely run from $100 from someone local doing a Gun-Kote or similar spray or a quick blue dunk, up to $300 for a very high end job with some repair work thrown in performed by someone national-class. S&W themselves also does refinishing and I have some seen some pretty amazing restoration and finishes come from them (last person I know had it done was actually on a 57 like yours and it was $230 all done with shipping/etc.).

Since it's a 57, I might be tempted to go the S&W or Fords/etc. route as people will pay for that gun in top condition, even refinished if it's done by the factory or a top-notch refinisher. If you can post some pics it will help determine what is possible with it.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
It's a S&W, have S&W refinish it for you. That way it will retain as much value as possible. Is it the pinned barrel recessed chamber version?
They have the best actions and triggers. The 41 magnum is the best kept secret in ballistics IMHO. It will do everything a 44 mag will, but with a little less felt recoil, and with more penetration, less cross sectional density. The 41 magnum is very easy to reload, which cuts way down on the cost of shooting it. You can reload to maximum velocity or you can down load it to 41 Long velocity for plinking. I have found that 1.0 to 1.5 grains below maximum velocity is the most accurate, and is not hard on the gun at all. I have a 657 Classic Hunter and reload my ammo on a Lee hand press, I was suprised at how easy and accurate you can build ammo with that little press. I do recommend a pair of smooth grips, as the factory grips have checkering that will be abrasive to your hand if you shoot it a lot. I tried rubber, Hogue, Pachmeyers, but prefer the smooth wood grips. Rest assured you have a few good shooter to enjoy for years to come.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts