1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have other things that you need to spend money on right now, here is a cheap way to "stipple" your frame.

Go to a building supply, like Home Depot, and look for non-skid exterior stair tread. It comes in several colors and grades of roughness. Measure the distance from grip to grip, around the front strap, and then cut a piece of this width. Test fit it and trim to suit. Now wash the front strap with alcohol or some other cleaner that leaves no residue. Peel off the backer, and carefully apply the tape. I have been using this on my Stainless 1911 for about a year now (the same piece), and so far it appears to be just as firmly attached as the day that I installed it. I bought a milder grade at the same time, but found that the more aggressive grade worked just fine, although my fingers sometimes get a little tender if I do a lot of shooting. One of these days when I run out of other toys to buy, I'll get the front strap checkered or stippled. For now, I'm still busy trying to find the "right" holster.

·
Registered
233 Posts
ranger you forgot to mention to take off your gripps", and let the tape over lape and than, put your gripps back on
it's alot better that away. i did that for awhile, and liked it. but stippled my froint and back of my 1911 myself, and it turn out great. didnt need too, but i wanted a tougher finish than bluing, so i used the bake on, from brownell's, O.D.GREEN,talk about a sharp looking 1911, it's a beaut
i'll have pictures posted soon. i have a picture posted, in the daly's forum, check it out, you'll like it.and it was free

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by james beam:
ranger you forgot to mention to take off your gripps", and let the tape over lape and than, put your gripps back on
it's alot better that away....
Actually, taking off the grips isn't necessary, although it might be nice. The tape holds very nicely without the grip to cover it. I didn't take mine off because they are Crimson Trace laser grips, and I didn't want to have to resight them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts