1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i need your help. i just now got the chance to take my new ems out to the range and i need some help. i was able to put a 300 rounds through it and i must say she sure is nice with that bull barell. but here is the problem some times she would not go into batery, the slide would not close all the way. the cartrage would actually be in the barell, looks like it fed fine but the slide would not close. also it ould take 2 or 3 strikes to fire some of the ammo, the ammo i was using was s&b, winchester white box, pmc, and some goverment surplus and hydra shocks. it would happen on all ammo. so any ideas on stuff to check i was wondering if the recoil spring wasnt strong enough? as for the mutliple strikes on the primers im at a loss. could this be me causing it to happen.i tried 4 differnt types of mgs. the factory,gi,chip mcmormick shooting stars, and one of my buddys wilson. any ideas thanks. Ronald

·
Registered
143 Posts
The failure to go into full battery is common in new 1911's and may well correct itself with further shooting. I do recommend getting good mags like Wilson or Metalform. Decent mags can make a big difference with feeding problems.

As for the firing problem, did you give the gun a good cleaning and lube job before shooting it? Did you remove the firing pin, spring, extractor and clean out the whole area? If so, did you make sure to put the spring on the firing pin correctly...it makes a difference.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

------------------
Steve333

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can think of 2 possible things for the firing pin problem.

1) The S&B ammo has a red sealer over the primer, if some of this got in the FP hole...

2)The FP is supposed to stick out the back .050" (50 thousandths), If its sticking out too far or not enough you'll get lite strikes. I don't know the amount of acceptable varience from .050" but its not extermely critical (like .001"), probably around .010" +/-. If its off, check in the gunsmithing forum.

mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts