1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i purchased my first handgun (SA 1911 loaded) but have a quick question.

why when the slide is locked back is releasing the lock and letting it snap back a bad thing i dont do it just because of seeing others never do it. i asked a few people why and they say its just they way they where taught.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Releasing the slide without having a round strip from the magazine is bad bacause the Banging of the slide as it closes can cause the sear/hammer fit to get damaged. That's pretty much it..

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Looks like you are getting your answer and yes it is kind of rough on the gun if the weapon is empty. As stated it is OK if you are actually chambering a round

Also, WELCOME to the forum and enjoy that SA Loaded. I ran with an SA Loaded 9mm 1911 for a long time and used it in a number of SD/HD classes taken to date. She was a real nice handling and nasty accurate gun in hand. I would expect the same out of the SA Loaded .45.

Be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Yes they are correct if you have a finely tuned trigger but it's not as damaging on a factory setup that's up in the 5lb+ range as you have much more spring pressure holding the sear in place.I haven't been around the last few years worth of production pieces but it sounds like they are setting up triggers better than they used to,I remember a gritty 6+lb trigger being common.Still not good to do though.A worse problem is the battering the barrel and slidestop take when it slams into lockup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts