1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to get the slide release lever past the slide release plunger? The plunger spring is so stiff on my new mil-spec that I have to put the lever against the frame and rotate it upwards to get it past the plunger. This is leaving a small arced scratch. Probably a rookie mistake and I hope I got the part names right. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I CAREFULLY insert the tip of a small flathead screwdriver against the plunger, between the slide release and the slide, from the top. Never slipped and scratched anything yet, maybe just lucky. This allows inserting the part straight in rather than by rotating in the arc that's scratching your frame. I'd recommend some kinda very hard plastic tool instead of the metal screwdriver.

·
Registered
29 Posts
From day 1 always have put a piece of masking tape under the slide stop pin when reassembling. When it's done pull the tape loose and you're good to go. No "idiot mark" yet even though the plunger on my gun is a tad tight too.

Dog

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
ChristopherA said:
Is there an easy way to get the slide release lever past the slide release plunger? The plunger spring is so stiff on my new mil-spec that I have to put the lever against the frame and rotate it upwards to get it past the plunger. This is leaving a small arced scratch. Probably a rookie mistake and I hope I got the part names right. Thanks for any help.
The rear side of the slide stop should have an angle cut which allows you to lay the slide stop against the ball of the detent (just a hair below centered on) and then apply pressure straight in and it should force the ball over and snap in. It's possible you need to smooth the back side in that area so it will deflect the ball more easily. Most new guns are tight, but I never had to force one up from below just to get it in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'm thinking bountyhunter has got my problem nailed but will try the other two suggestions and see if they work well for me. I never thought my first 1911 would get 'character' this early.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts