1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was think of getting another SA loaded for my collection. It would be used primarally at the range. I know the trophy match and the 5" loaded target have a match grade barrel according to SA web site. Are these the same barrel? And does the 5" loaded black/stainless taget have the barrel SA web site just says it has a stainless barrel? I love the trophy match but thats a lot of cash I can pick up a stainless target for $300 less. Is there a big difference between the loaded target and a loaded standard other than the checkered backstrap and adjustable sites?

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
the Trophy Match gets a little more attention to it's fitting

if you are going to add a magwell and front strap checkering, the Trophy Match is a good buy.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
tmbedocs,

I posted a similar question to yours not too long ago, and several members like G Freeman and Old lefty have lots of info.

From their infos I gleaned the ff: The Target Loaded w/ adjustable sight and available in stainless is made on an " NM " series frame just like the trophy match and consequently, we can expect that it is better fitted & therefore more accurate than the regular loadeds which are finished in Brazil. The serrations on the Target Loadeds are also finer.

The Target Loadeds are almost the same as the Trophy Match except that the TM has : wider spaced serrations, magwell, the top of the slide is flattened, and has checkerings. In other words, more features.

If you want more features, get the Trophy Match. If you want to save a little bit but want the fitting level of the TM albeit then the Target Loaded is the one to get.

Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The black stainless models are assembled in Brazil, and from my understanding do not have that one-piece stainless barrel. Although the few that I have handled have exhibited a very good barrel fit.

But having owned and handled several SA pistols, I just wouldn't waste my time anymore on a non NM framed Springfield. The difference is so big that they don't even seem like they came from the same manufacturer.

I used to own a Loaded Stainless (fixed sights) that had that one-piece barrel and it was fitted so well and shot very accurately. I have truly regretted selling that one because SA rarely makes that model using their NM frames.

Just received my brand-new loaded target a couple of days ago, and yes again, it came with an NM frame and the barrel fit is outstanding (just like my MC operator), and the slide/frame fit was like from a custom shop. It came with stainless beavertail (not HC), and the MSH was nicely checkered. The fit and attention to detail was as good as any TM, TRP, etc. that I have held.

Now a month ago I bought a loaded in 9mm (N serial#), and man that had so many cosmetic, fit, machining issues. It went back to Springfield and got a new slide and barrel. But the machining of the frame plus other cosmetics will never equal my NM springers.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
My LW Operator has a Match grade bbl. PX9116LP I love this tool. Night sights, CT-401s and a TLR-1. It's the nicest 1911 I've owned to date and I've had a few.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
FYI "Match grade" is very much a buzz-word that is only loosely defined at best. It means very different things between manufs

The trophy match is worth the extra price.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
FYI "Match grade" is very much a buzz-word that is only loosely defined at best. It means very different things between manufs

The trophy match is worth the extra price.

Agree 100%. "Match Grade" is marketing buzz mumble that is meaningless unless its associated with a known manufacturer of premium barrels and the pistol is "guaranteed" by the manufacturer to shoot a defined group size, at a given distance and is delivered with targets proving their claims. A pistol selling for less than $1K is probably not gonna have a "match or competition" grade that in itself would sell for in exces of $200.

Springfield is very vague on accuracy claims for its products. Somewhere in the forum archives are e-mails from the Springfield shop stating that the G.I./Mil-Spec should shoot 25 yd groups LESS THAN 5". Loadeds LESS THAN 4", TRPs/TMs LESS than 3" and Custom Shop guns LESS THAN 2" (or in the case of the Pro, less than 1 1/2"). Owners report that these claims are generally accurate and on the conservative side--i.e. the pistols do much better than these numbers. Springfield sent me a target for my Mil-Spec which should a 1.4" group. You wont find those claims in SA's printed advertising. Other manufacturers of mid-level production pistols say even less about the accuracy of their products. My quoted numbers may be off by a half inch or so on the accuracy SA claims, but the genereral trend is correct.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Personally I am very impressed with the loaded(target) that I recently bought. It will keep them in the x ring @50 feet, benched. I couldnt find any where on the box where it actually says target, but its tight and it shoots amazingly well. Maybe there is something to the whole NMvsN, thing. the N's just didnt seem as tight. Course Iv only handled a half dozen or so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really appreciate all the info from you guys. I am not not new to handguns just 1911's. Shoot my first one three months ago and I'm hooked. Allredy have three SA loaded's and I am just getting started. This is the best forum by far to get questions answered. I think I am leaning toward the target loaded but I got my eye on a used TRP stainless on Gunbroker. If I can pick it up for $900 I think its a better deal than a new target for $670.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Really appreciate all the info from you guys. I am not not new to handguns just 1911's. Shoot my first one three months ago and I'm hooked. Allredy have three SA loaded's and I am just getting started. This is the best forum by far to get questions answered. I think I am leaning toward the target loaded but I got my eye on a used TRP stainless on Gunbroker. If I can pick it up for $900 I think its a better deal than a new target for $670.
Yep that's a no brainer if you can afford the green. FYI I seem to recall reading somewhere that Springfields "Match" bbls are of Kart lineage. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SA Loaded Parkerized
SA Loaded Lwt.Bitone
SA Loaded Champion

1 - 13 of 13 Posts