1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an hour to kill earlier today and went by the local indoor range.

I've been away from pistol shooting for two years save a couple recent range sessions. Lots of bad habits in my shooting, but it's getting better.

I brought along a G19, G26, G43 and a Colt Defender.

First time shooting my G43 and Defender.

All targets were at 25 feet. First magazines with each were aimed at center mass. Last shots fired were head shots.

G19 was first up:

G26 next:

Then the G43:

Defender was last:

100% perfect feeding with each weapon.

Great handling and shootability with each.

The new G43 handled really well. I thought I"d vastly prefer the extended base magazine but they both felt great.

Amazingly well considering it's now my favorite pocket pistol. Best handling pocket handgun that I've ever shot !!!!!!!

The only things this gun needs is a Talon rubberized grip enhancement and a set of Trijicon HD sights.

The Colt really surprised me.

It felt great in hand....throughout the firing cycle. I generally can't stand fingergroove grips on 1911's but these felt much better than they looked. Still going to replace them, though. Recon is very acceptable with this little 7+1 45acp gun.

Here is the downside: The very first shot I fired with the Defender sent the brass dead center into the brim of my hat. Next shot launched the brass into my forehead. The next few shots were poorly placed due to a freaking flinch......not from recoil (that was a peach with 230gr factory loads) but from wondering if I'd get smacked in the face....and I did a few more times. Unnerving. Were I not wearing range glasses and a hat....

I'd read reports about folks having this occur but really didn't give it a whole lot of concern. I mean....brass that arcs off to the side and hits the sidewall of the range's lanes and bounces into you is nothing, right?

This stuff flipping back was not arcing harmlessly......it was on a high velocity flat trajectory into my skull . Crazy stuff. Not something I've had happen like this.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I got rid of my Defender because of the brass to the head. A self defense gun is useless if you need it and you forgot your safety glasses. I traded it for a Colt WC Commander and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
15,344 Posts
Good shooting, and all pistols are apparently properly targeted. I'd say give the Defender a few more sessions and a few clean/lubes before altering.

·
Banned
294 Posts
I had an hour to kill earlier today and went by the local indoor range.

I've been away from pistol shooting for two years save a couple recent range sessions. Lots of bad habits in my shooting, but it's getting better.

I brought along a G19, G26, G43 and a Colt Defender.

First time shooting my G43 and Defender.

All targets were at 25 feet. First magazines with each were aimed at center mass. Last shots fired were head shots.

G19 was first up:

G26 next:

Then the G43:

Defender was last:

100% perfect feeding with each weapon.

Great handling and shootability with each.

The new G43 handled really well. I thought I"d vastly prefer the extended base magazine but they both felt great.

Amazingly well considering it's now my favorite pocket pistol. Best handling pocket handgun that I've ever shot !!!!!!!

The only things this gun needs is a Talon rubberized grip enhancement and a set of Trijicon HD sights.

The Colt really surprised me.

It felt great in hand....throughout the firing cycle. I generally can't stand fingergroove grips on 1911's but these felt much better than they looked. Still going to replace them, though. Recon is very acceptable with this little 7+1 45acp gun.

Here is the downside: The very first shot I fired with the Defender sent the brass dead center into the brim of my hat. Next shot launched the brass into my forehead. The next few shots were poorly placed due to a freaking flinch......not from recoil (that was a peach with 230gr factory loads) but from wondering if I'd get smacked in the face....and I did a few more times. Unnerving. Were I not wearing range glasses and a hat....

I'd read reports about folks having this occur but really didn't give it a whole lot of concern. I mean....brass that arcs off to the side and hits the sidewall of the range's lanes and bounces into you is nothing, right?

This stuff flipping back was not arcing harmlessly......it was on a high velocity flat trajectory into my skull . Crazy stuff. Not something I've had happen like this.
I LOVE the Colt Defender! Ever since I first handled it and shot it I have carried that little "ba****d" almost religiously! The gun is LIGHT....feels great in the hand, and for me, so far, has NEVER...not ONCE, not EVER, failed to chamber, fire, and eject! I carry it loaded with CD's amazing 80 grain "Defender" ammo that I personally chronographed from my Colt Defender at over 1,900 fps...from a 3" barrel!
I usually carry it in a hand-made, thin-leather "pancake" rig on my belt under a loose-fitting shirt and due to the gun's slim profile and light weight I can - and have, carried all day without discomfort! ENJOY your Defender 'cause their ain't nothing else like it!

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I LOVE the Colt Defender! Ever since I first handled it and shot it I have carried that little "ba****d" almost religiously! The gun is LIGHT....feels great in the hand, and for me, so far, has NEVER...not ONCE, not EVER, failed to chamber, fire, and eject! I carry it loaded with CD's amazing 80 grain "Defender" ammo that I personally chronographed from my Colt Defender at over 1,900 fps...from a 3" barrel!
I usually carry it in a hand-made, thin-leather "pancake" rig on my belt under a loose-fitting shirt and due to the gun's slim profile and light weight I can - and have, carried all day without discomfort! ENJOY your Defender 'cause their ain't nothing else like it!

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

I got rid of my Defender because of the brass to the head. A self defense gun is useless if you need it and you forgot your safety glasses. I traded it for a Colt WC Commander and never looked back.

Wow. Did you ever try to adjust or replace the extractor before you gave up on the pistol ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have two Defenders and neither one slings brass to my face (one 9 and one 45). Both are accurate and fun to shoot. Assuming you cleaned it before this first range session and didn't see anything odd when you cleaned it again after shooting it, I would send it back to Colt. Colt CS doesn't hide behind the "shoot 500 rounds before you complain" crap. Brass to the face is no fun! :bawling:

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have two Defenders and neither one slings brass to my face (one 9 and one 45). Both are accurate and fun to shoot. Assuming you cleaned it before this first range session and didn't see anything odd when you cleaned it again after shooting it, I would send it back to Colt. Colt CS doesn't hide behind the "shoot 500 rounds before you complain" crap. Brass to the face is no fun! :bawling:

My Defender is still in the hands of the guy who is Cerakoting it for me.

I'll get it back in a week or two and get some more range time with it. I'll tune the extractor or replace it with an aftermarket version......and tune that one.

Honestly, I should have a spare on hand anyway.

I'm really looking forward to this Defender. I've got some new grips and leather waiting for it....as well as some Wilson 47OX magazines and plenty of range ammo to enjoy.

It's going to be a great gun for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts