1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm not sure this belongs here so I'll offer my apology to the moderators and beg forgiveness.

Yesterday, I was on a motorcycle forum and it offers a thread where one may post any photo. One fellow posted the following photo:
Military camouflage Helmet Military uniform Military person Marines

(If you look closely, the trooper carrying the AK does have a 1911 on his hip. Most RTOs were similarly armed.)

Well, I had one of those Yogi Berra moments, you know, "Deja vu all over again." I found an old box of photos I took when serving with the First Infantry Division as a combat photographer. It didn't take too long to find the photo I was after and it didn't take too much studying to confirm my suspicion that I had observed this scene back in late '69 or early '70.
Plant Helmet Gesture Military person Military camouflage

Yes, I'm that old! After thinking about these long-ago photos, I simply cannot recall if the color photo was taken by another combat photographer but I don't think so. Our photo lab in Lai Khe didn't have the chemicals to produce color prints. Therefore, I believe it must have been take by a soldier with an Instamatic or a similar camera. Anyway, I was rather amazed by the coincidence.

Mike

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
it didn't take too much studying to confirm my suspicion that I had observed this scene back in late '69 or early '70.
Great memory- I would think a rather calm scene wouldn't have been something to remember that long ago in the context of what was going on around you at the time.

Did you message the other poster to see if you knew them?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great memory- I would think a rather calm scene wouldn't have been something to remember that long ago in the context of what was going on around you at the time.

Did you message the other poster to see if you knew them?
Yes, sir, I did and it came from Pintrest. I hunted around a bit but gleaned no information about who took it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
First of all, I'm not sure this belongs here so I'll offer my apology to the moderators and beg forgiveness.

Yesterday, I was on a motorcycle forum and it offers a thread where one may post any photo. One fellow posted the following photo:

(If you look closely, the trooper carrying the AK does have a 1911 on his hip. Most RTOs were similarly armed.)

Well, I had one of those Yogi Berra moments, you know, "Deja vu all over again." I found an old box of photos I took when serving with the First Infantry Division as a combat photographer. It didn't take too long to find the photo I was after and it didn't take too much studying to confirm my suspicion that I had observed this scene back in late '69 or early '70.

Yes, I'm that old! After thinking about these long-ago photos, I simply cannot recall if the color photo was taken by another combat photographer but I don't think so. Our photo lab in Lai Khe didn't have the chemicals to produce color prints. Therefore, I believe it must have been take by a soldier with an Instamatic or a similar camera. Anyway, I was rather amazed by the coincidence.

Mike
Wow ... that is something.

Reactions: GWarden and mikegc

·
Premium Member
5,579 Posts
mikegc,

My photographs serve to help "refresh" my aging memories. Have you ever thought, as you documented the history being written around you, that while as a photographer you capture memories, we were never shown in them? I worked 32 1/2 years on the Fire Department and then 12 more years as a fire investigator. I'll show my photos to my granddaughters and they always ask, "Where are you?"

Grumpy

·
Registered
152 Posts
My coincidence story, not gun related. In the 90s I was flying all over the world working on high tech metrology equipment. To pass the time in airports I played a memory game and studied peoples faces, it’s surprising how many times you can cross paths with the same people. I knew a girl I grew up with was a flight attendant for US Air, so whenever I was flying them I’d be on the lookout. While waiting for flight at Charlotte I remembered her and wondered where she was and how she was doing. Then she walked by. Not sure if my mind was playing tricks on me I followed after her. Once I was sure I called out her name, it had been almost 20 years since we had last seen each other. We’ve been able to stay in touch ever since.

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
My coincidence story, not gun related. In the 90s I was flying all over the world working on high tech metrology equipment. To pass the time in airports I played a memory game and studied peoples faces, it’s surprising how many times you can cross paths with the same people. I knew a girl I grew up with was a flight attendant for US Air, so whenever I was flying them I’d be on the lookout. While waiting for flight at Charlotte I remembered her and wondered where she was and how she was doing. Then she walked by. Not sure if my mind was playing tricks on me I followed after her. Once I was sure I called out her name, it had been almost 20 years since we had last seen each other. We’ve been able to stay in touch ever since.
Check out this similar story posted here ... hard to believe it's almost 6yrs ago ... I'd've guessed 3 - 4:

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
1996, adopting a daughter out of Kansas Foster Care.
The Foster Parents and I got to talking.
Foster Dad was a Crewman at Clark AFB for the B-58 Hustler, processing film.
His CO was the Dad of two of my Boy Scout Buddies while my Dad was stationed there.
We'd been out to see what was going on at the Flightline while he was one of the young airmen getting the work done as we milled around.
We'd been there at the same time, and knew the same people, and ran into each other over 20 years later by us adopting the girl they'd been fostering.
We still keep in touch.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Cool coincidence on the pics. But what the story behind the pics? Who was the guy?

Reactions: mikegc

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool coincidence on the pics. But what the story behind the pics? Who was the guy?
As I recall, we discovered a large tunnel system and this VC soldier was a guard. I wasn't close to where he was captured but there was no gunfire. I suspect the soldier surrendered. There was a program going on at the time called "Chou Hoi," encouraging the enemy to surrender and there were air-dropped leaflets dropped all over the place. If a VC presented a leaflet or called out, "Chou hoi," they were supposed to be give a pass. The hope was his comrades would see he was being treated well and also surrender. I suspect that may have been the case but don't know for sure. Tunnel rats were sent into the complex but didn't stay long as it was a big, multi-level system. The engineers came in and blew it.

Mike

·
Registered
13,879 Posts
My wife, toddler daughter, & I were at the top of the Space Needle in Seattle. A man saw our daughter then quickly looked at us. He said to my wife "Are you a ****" ?? (my wife's last name)

Caught by surprise, my wife said "yes I am!"

He said " yes, I thought I recognized my friend's face in your daughter" Shockingly, the guy had been a friend of my wife's father back in Laos in the late 1960's / early 1970's !!

We got Dad on the phone & they had a audio reunion right then & there. And they have visited each other ever since. Amazing.

·
Registered
25,618 Posts
Does it look like this?
View attachment 619164

Mike
Yes that is definitely it. I can tell by all of the scuffing from use on the stacked leather handle. And the USN on the scabbard, amazing that you found it. My initials should be on the blade if they have not rubbed off.
Amazing that you found it! I think that I lost it when we were heloing out from Kung Pao to Chow Mein. We took some heavy AA fire and the Huey was bouncing around pretty good.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts