1911Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
The author of the original post stated "(If you look closely, the trooper carrying the AK does have a 1911 on his hip"

Well I must be going blind, since I can not see anything that shows the soldier has a 1911....anywhere on his body...... Maybe the photo was cropped or am I just going blind....?

For those US soldiers that had tours of duty in Vietnam and Thailand during the "Vietnam conflict" (they never actually called it a war) I thank you for your service. My father was an E-9 in the USAF and stationed at Ubon, Thailand. He was the NCOIC for field maintenance of an F-4 Phantom squadron..... He spent over a year in Thailand, and I was happy to see him when he finally came home.......

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The author of the original post stated "(If you look closely, the trooper carrying the AK does have a 1911 on his hip"

Well I must be going blind, since I can not see anything that shows the soldier has a 1911....anywhere on his body...... Maybe the photo was cropped or am I just going blind....?

For those US soldiers that had tours of duty in Vietnam and Thailand during the "Vietnam conflict" (they never actually called it a war) I thank you for your service. My father was an E-9 in the USAF and stationed at Ubon, Thailand. He was the NCOIC for field maintenance of an F-4 Phantom squadron..... He spent over a year in Thailand, and I was happy to see him when he finally came home.......
My apology, Rwehavinfunyet, I should have stated, "may have a 1911 on his hip." To may aging eyes, it looks like the top of a holster with the grip of the 1911 protruding:
Helmet Military camouflage Military person Military uniform Soldier

Here's a Vietnam era holster with a M1911a1 in the approximate position from what I believe I'm seeing:
Brown Handgun holster Glove Wood Helmet

I could be wrong, though. My wife points that out occasionally.

Mike

·
Premium Member
16,292 Posts
Definitely the same guys - the Cong and the soldier with the M16. The other guy with the AK is not observing proper safety by going around with that blaster most likely loaded and with the safety off and in the 'full rock' position. I'll be willing to concede that it was a combat zone and there could very well be reason to have it ready to go - but he still needs to straighten out that trigger finger. I guess one or both pictures would fall into the 'staged' category but you can't blame the troops for that - somebody told them to do it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Definitely the same guys - the Cong and the soldier with the M16. The other guy with the AK is not observing proper safety by going around with that blaster most likely loaded and with the safety off and in the 'full rock' position. I'll be willing to concede that it was a combat zone and there could very well be reason to have it ready to go - but he still needs to straighten out that trigger finger. I guess one or both pictures would fall into the 'staged' category but you can't blame the troops for that - somebody told them to do it.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I didn't see the actual capture but tensions were high as we'd discovered a huge tunnel complex. When I saw the prisoner, I raised my camera. I can assure you the photos were not staged. They were taken as events unfolded.

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
A few years back, I was carousing the internet and came across this picture:
Organism Font Military person Art Military uniform

It looked vaguely familiar. I suddenly realized it was me. The caption is incorrect. I was not a Sky Soldier (173rd). I was with the 538th.
You made me look twice. I was with the 538th Battalion and in charge of earth moving equipment in Thailand in 1969 and 1970. We were building Camp Samae San near the SAC Airforce base at Utapao down south of Bangkok on the Cambodian side.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You made me look twice. I was with the 538th Battalion and in charge of earth moving equipment in Thailand in 1969 and 1970. We were building Camp Samae San near the SAC Airforce base at Utapao down south of Bangkok on the Cambodian side.
We were a Company size unit with 30 D-7s with a combination of Rome Plows and bull blades. Our unit worked the II Corps sector of Vietnam. Attached is a video of us supporting the 173rd as mentioned above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We were a Company size unit with 30 D-7s with a combination of Rome Plows and bull blades. Our unit worked the II Corps sector of Vietnam. Attached is a video of us supporting the 173rd as mentioned above.

We were considered a "mini-Division" with three construction companies and a headquarters company. On the earth moving side we had 21 D7E dozers, 26 290M scrapers, 21 Cat 12 and Huber-Warco graders and all the stuff to support them building roads and hardstands. Headquarters company had cranes, rock crushers, paving equipment, and technical support with surveyors, compaction testers, etc. We were strictly a construction battalion in this role. There is lengthy and boring Army information movie out there somewhere about this, but I can no longer find the link. I got there just after the battalion finished a road from Korat, Thailand to Camp Vyama near Sattahip port. I had noticed mention of the 538th in Vietnam in other sources, but you finally explained exactly what it was.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wonder if the AK in the soldiers hands was the prisoners weapon. Get your finger off the trigger! lol
Great story. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I wonder if the AK in the soldiers hands was the prisoners weapon. Get your finger off the trigger! lol
Great story. Thanks.
Yes, sir, it was the prisoner's weapon. I didn't see him him surrender it but, if memory serves, he was the only enemy we saw that day. I can tell you tension was running pretty high as trails were everywhere. Somewhere, I have a photo of the what was believed to be the main tunnel entrance.

Mike

41 - 50 of 50 Posts