1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
What??!! You mean they look that way before they blow up? LMAO. I like my guns like my women....beautiful....

[This message has been edited by ZekeLuvs1911 (edited 10-22-2001).]

·
Registered
963 Posts
Does that mean Glock fans like "blow-up" plastic women?

------------------
A man with a watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches isn't so sure

·
Registered
322 Posts
That is a great quote. But I won't say anymore cause the g-crowd is gonna see this thread any second now...

·
Administrator
72,119 Posts
More than once I've been advised by folks whose opinions I trust to avoid the .40 caliber Glocks. They seem to be just fine when shooting factory ammo, but the minute you put in a reloaded round with thin case walls you are at severe risk for a blowup. Not that this is any secret- Glock warns heavily against using reloads in their guns, and not just out of the usual product liability.

I do shoot reloads out of my 9mm G19 however. From what I know they aren't as prone to spontaneous disassembly.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
690 Posts
I thought long and hard about buying a Glock. I love the way they feel and shoot, but the research kept saying they have problems in larger calibers. One friend said I'd rather be in front of one than behind it, now own's one for the Glock shoots, of course it's in 9mm.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by dsk:
More than once I've been advised by folks whose opinions I trust to avoid the .40 caliber Glocks. They seem to be just fine when shooting factory ammo, but the minute you put in a reloaded round with thin case walls you are at severe risk for a blowup. Not that this is any secret- Glock warns heavily against using reloads in their guns, and not just out of the usual product liability.
To be fair though, every manufacturer warns against using reloads. Also, many people shoot reloads in Glock 40s without problems. I've shot 10k reloads out of a G24 without problems. You just have to be more diligent about inspecting brass, etc due to the lack of support in the factory barrel. I've also read that certain combinations of powder and heavy bullets are a BAD thing.

Phil

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't want to start the Glock vs Others thread, but what is blowing up. I work for a fairly large department and carry the Glock 21/30 .45 guns.Glocks are also used in more departments around the country than any other. I have never experienced nor have heard of anyone having these problems. Ugly yes,problems NO. If they were that bad, they wouldn't be one of the most carried guns around. They do recommed factory ammunition but their real warning is against lead bullets, not necessarly reloads. The 1911 is still my favorite but come on.

·
Administrator
72,119 Posts
The large-caliber Glocks (particularly the .40's) have chambers which don't support the case heads too well. A lot of brass is left exposed just above the feed ramp. When shooting reloads with thin or weakened cases there is a chance that the case will rupture and blow up the gun. The polymer frame doesn't hold back the pressure very well. In addition, the steel slide and barrel are very hard, and thus more likely to split and release pressure than merely bend.

Again, if you use quality NEW ammunition you won't have this problem. But using cheap or reloaded ammo is asking for trouble. Police departments generally don't have to worry of course, as what cop in his right mind would carry reloads on patrol? Practice ammo is rarely ever reloaded either.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
828 Posts
Ahuumm... another KB thread. Everything DSK says is correct, but if you are careful with your reloads there's nothing to worry about.
FWIW, I have many friends shooting IPSC all over south america with glocks, probably hundreds of thousands of reloaded rounds a year in every caliber, sometimes lead, and the first time I heard of KB's was by internet (all of them in USA), no one I know has ever witnessed one around here. Maybe we are just lucky or careful reloaders?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Got a Glock 23 and 27, have shot thousands thru each over the period of about 5 years they are UGLY but they shoot shoot and shoot. I had a minor problem with the 23 a couple of years ago at aGlock Shoot, went to the armorer, he complety disassembled the pistol replaced several parts, oil and lubed the gun gave me some pointers as to make sure you completely dry all parts of the gun when you wash it with warm soapy water and sent me back to the range, haven't missed a lick since. As to the warm soapy water, i was trying something a noted columnist wrote in a handgun magazine, it does work as long as you completey dry the gun.

·
Administrator
72,119 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts