1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding with guns in a backpack since I was about thirteen years old. Last time I had one fall out was when I was around fourteen when my Crosman 357 CO2 revolver took a tumble. That is, until yesterday morning.

Before I left the house I noticed that my backpack zippers were left on top instead of the side as I usually leave them. I thought little of it. While going over a highway bridge doing about 85mph I felt some drag on my backpack. I looked over my shoulder just in time to see a bag containing a couple holsters and my 1911 go flying out. I pulled over and stopped about 75 yards from where they dropped. The contents of said bag were neatly sitting in the center of the fast lane. I sprinted as fast as I could...just in time to watch a car swerve enough to put his tires on top of the case containing the 1911. It was quite a shock to see my most endeared firearm explode out of it's case and tumble across the concrete. I diverted traffic enough to jump in and retrieve it, my holsters, and the soft case it was in.

This is the result.

20131112_131131 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

20131112_131215 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

I've had the gun since I turned 21 fifteen years ago. All parts were fitted by the owner and the gun was a flawless in function and accurate. It has spent more time at my side than anything else I own.

The rear sight shattered, but the slide otherwise has minor cosmetic damage. The frame is obviously ruined. I may rebuild it on a Caspian SS receiver.

I've had to fight back tears a couple times today. :(

If I had just moved the zipper over it would have been fine. I only have myself to blame. I'm just glad nobody got hurt.

This was it before:

20130927_121942 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

20130927_121907 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

The right side looks fine, but the LaserGrip is ruined. It looks fine and still works but the button is torn, the windage screw is damaged, and the laser has an irregular shape and a weak output.

The wife was great about it. I feel terrible. She gave me the go ahead to replace it, but I don't know if I can.

·
Administrator
73,988 Posts
Ouch! You're actually the second person I've heard about losing a 1911 to road rash. The other guy was on a motorcycle as well when he lost his Springfield out of a cheap holster.

The important thing however is that only the gun got creamed and not you. There's been plenty of stories of people getting clobbered by inattentive drivers while stopped on the side of the road as well.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Least it wasn't you.
Now she has even more history.
The two of you will soon be able to share this event.
All is not lost. She will soon be by your side again,ready and willing to serve and protect.
Now get busy,and start planning what your first move will be to get her up and shooting again.
Keep us up to date. And post pic's.
Tuck her in,and get a good night sleep.
:)

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Please tell us the guy didn't intentionally swerve to hit the bag. Really sorry to see your loss. I wonder if there might be a way to press the frame back and then temper it? Might need some kind of custom die and a hydraulic press but I think there are metal workers out there who could do it. Our shop is mainly trailer hitches.

Dan Wessons shoot great, and might help ease your suffering. And considering Christmas is coming it might have been your gun saying it was time to let go. ;)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I don't think it looks that bad. I don't see how the frame is ruined unless I am missing something.

I'm sorry this happened to you but bad things do happen and eventually, everthing on the planet will be destroyed when the sun becomes a red giant and literally melts the planet in about 5 billion years.

Can you send it off to a shop to have those bad scratches/dents smoothed out? I think I'd replace the beavertail (is that what it's called?), the grips, and rear sight, get the bad smoothed up, maybe a reblue or other finish, and put it in my carry holster.

I am sorry this happened....I wish you happier days.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Man that really bites. It was a good looking pistol too. ;(

It's hard to tell from the pictures but you stated the frame was ruined.is it bent? Just wondering.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
first off, it was a piece of metal, not you.... so there's that.

Second, obviously that gun is ruined now and aside form that seeing it could bring up traumatic memories so I'll be willing to take it off your hands for you. Even pay shipping.

seriously though, and I'll admit I'm using my phone to look at this, I don't see anything that tells me the frame is ruined. I think I see a mild bend near the top of your MSH but I'm not 100% sure. The beauty of metal is if you can bend it one way, you can bend it back. You can probably salvage it. if not.... the above offer stands ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Inspect and if you can, keep the frame for a future .22 conversion.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I got hit by a drunk driver 3 years ago on my Harley. Destroyed my backpack and handgun. Luckily it was just a tattered Beretta 96FS I happened to be carrying that day. I have to say it took quite a beating, but she did not make it.

Sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Fatality??? If that 1911 had had legs it would probably have stood up and said "I was designed for far worse than that", dusted off it's jacket and thumbed a lift into town.

Keep calm and carry on.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
I was gonna say "Awesome! Battle scars! " but I'm truly heart broken for you. If at all possible replace with a new or used Colt and keep it as is for the moment. You can always repair it later. So sorry for your loss brother.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I'd contact Colt. If it can be salvaged, they'd be the ones to have do it.

Bob

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I can't imagine any driver intentionally trying to hit anything other than a moving snake. But no way to know, and i do hope your gun is soon back into whatever condition you want.

Just a thought, since i don't have a motorcycle. Do almost all Harley riders carry some sort of firearm? I would feel safer if so.

All the best....

·
Registered
736 Posts
I can't imagine any driver intentionally trying to hit anything other than a moving snake. But no way to know, and i do hope your gun is soon back into whatever condition you want.

Just a thought, since i don't have a motorcycle. Do almost all Harley riders carry some sort of firearm? I would feel safer if so.

All the best....
Yes we do!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Glad you are okay. Too bad about the pistol, but it's replaceable. Limbs are not.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know what the driver was thinking. It looks like the car was swerving to avoid it...though that was unnecessary. It may have been a case of target fixation. It's hard to believe the vehicle didn't get damaged. Nobody pulled over ahead of me so I can only assume they were ok.

The insurance only covers loss to permanent parts of the vehicle.

I will contact Colt. Hopefully they may have some sympathy for me. The shop tells me they are the worst to deal with for this type of thing. We'll see.

When I ride (not a H-D, Buell) I have a J-frame in the pocket and my primary goes in the bag. It's either the 1911 or on rare occasion my N frame Smith. They're both a little to big to fit under my leather jacket (it's a snug fitting sport type jacket).

Some additional pics:

20131113_020553_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

20131113_022938_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
All rounds except for the one chambered got crushed.

20131113_035921_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

20131113_084958_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

20131113_090211_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

20131113_090237_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
New grips installed to show the crooked grip frame.

20131113_020400_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

20131113_020655_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

20131113_020726_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

20131113_021552_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

While the slide can be polished up, the frame certainly won't "buff out." The entire grip frame and tang is buckled, twisted, crooked, and in a few places, cracked. Every pin except the slide stop was bent/broken and they all had to be pounded out.

I've considered a few courses of action.

#1 is to attempt fixing this. It will likely never be quite right, and I don't like all the cracks.It would surely cost a fortune to have someone attempt to straighten/repair the frame. While listed as #1 I consider this receiver a lost cause.

#2 is purchasing a used stainless XSE from the shop and doing a high polish blue finish to the old top end and combining them.

#3 is purchasing a new Caspian blemmed stainless receiver and rebuilding it on that.

#4 is abandoning this pistol, keeping the wreckage as a keepsake, selling the usable parts and purchasing a new Combat Elite XSE.

The slide still rides smoothly on the frame.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts