1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased the pistol new and out of the box it started having jams. Some double feeds with the spent cartridge on top of the next unfired round, some stovepipes, some failure to load the next round from the magazine, etc. When I would remove the mag both would fall free out of the bottom of the grip. When I brought it home I noticed that the ejector was loose to the point of falling out (with the pin still in the pistol). The pin was too short. I called Remington Customer Service and they sent a new ejector and pin. I installed them and went back to the range. It helped but I was still having numerous jams. I estimate about 20-25%. I tried Wilson and Remington mags, no difference. I also tried different weight (115, 124 and 147gr) and brands of ammo, no hollow points, all ball ammo. The pistol had about 600 rounds through it and is not the least bit enjoyable. I haven’t had a new pistol perform so poorly, ever!

I noticed that the pistol came with a flat wire recoil spring. I tried a normal spring but no difference. I reinstalled the flat wire recoil spring. I thought that the 9mm 1911s didn’t come with a flat wire spring?

After another range visit and cleaning I checked the extractor tension using an empty 9mm case. The extractor doesn’t even try to grip the case. Something major is wrong with this pistol. I asked for Customer Service to return the pistol and to please fix it and return it fully 100% functional. They said they had mixed up the 9mm and 45 acp extractors and that was probably the issue. They said that they would send me another extractor. I took out the old extractor and compared it to the new one, they looked and measured the same but I installed it. No difference still jamming. They sent me another with the same result.

After the last round of jams and failure to extract, eject, fire, etc., I called Remington Customer Service but instead they sent a new extractor for me to install and test. The new extractor hook looks different (deeper) but the length looks shorter. The new extractor was installed and it still would not pass the extractor test either. There should be zero space between the back of a case held by the extractor and the face of the J-cut. The new extractor still has at least 60 thousands of an inch space between the back of the case and the face of the j-cut on the slide. I went to the range again and experienced an average of two or three failures per magazine. I fired 250 rounds of 115g 9mm and experience at least 60 failures to cycle properly. Failure types were all different kinds.

I have spent my time and money on four range visits and 1,000 rounds of ammo. This equates to an additional $350 dollars of added costs for a pistol that consistently malfunctions because of the issues at the Remington plant plant. If any competent gunsmith looked at the extractor and ejector they should have seen these things. Also they obviously never did an extractor test which takes all of 30 seconds or they would have seen these issues.

I finally saw on this forum that others with the 9mm were having the same issues. They recommended the Wilson Combat extractor which I ordered and installed (another $35.00). The gun ran pretty good and I shot 120 rounds without issue. On round 121 the gun would not go into battery. It was about 1/8" from going in. The hammer was back, I gave the back of the slide a slight tap and the gun fired. The barrel was down range and no one was injured but it sat me back and rattled me a bit! My finger was outside the trigger guard and not touching the trigger in any way. This was my first unintentional negligent discharge I have ever had and I'm 61 years old and have been shooting since I was eight.

You may ask why didn't I send it back. The return policy at Remington is they will only pick up and return to my home and they expect me to take a day off from work so the shipper can pick up my pistol and then take another day off to sign for it when I get it returned. Also CS informed me that Remington can't repair their 1911s at their plant or facilities, they wanted me to ship it to an independent third part gunsmith. Seems unreasonable.

I'm at a loss. At this point I don't want to trade it and have someone else get a dangerous gun. I've spent way more than the gun is worth and I'm not taking two days off from work to satisfy Remington Customer Service. Could be a parts gun? Bummer!

Now for those of you that think I'm just a Remington basher, I was a real Remington fan and have had may Remingtons over the years, I still have some of their shotguns. I was looking forward to getting another but after the recent issues with Marlin, the R51, Para and now this I can't say that I'll ever be a Remington fan again.

PS - I originally wanted the pistol as a competition gun but since I couldn't get it cycle I bought a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. The gun ran at the first match straight from the box and ran flawlessly! and its accurate as can be. I'm very happy with the Range Officer.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Without actually seeing the gun. I would have guessed the first issue was extractor related.

On the second issue. This gun being of the series 80 style, the trigger would have to be pulled to release the firing pin safety. Since you did not pull the trigger, and your finger was outside the gun. I would guess that the firing pin was stuck in the forward position.

I would disassemble the slide and look over the plunger very carefully for any peening. I would also clean the firing pin channel out real good and make sure there is nothing in the channel that would inhibit the firing pin's travel. Inspect the firing pin for damage, specifically looking for burrs. Check the breach face for damage, specifically burrs. Make sure the firing pin can exit smoothly through the firing pin hole. Install an extra power firing pin spring, and if everything checks out. I would reassemble and test fire.

I would designate it a range toy only and be very careful with it until I could trust it.

In the future. I would stay the hell away from Remington products. They will never be what the were as long as Freedom group owns them. I've been lucky with my two R1's, and the 870P I bought. I don't think I would press my luck again.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Jason, your input is right on and my thoughts exactly. When I returned home I did disassemble the slide and inspect it. There was no evidence of peening or damage to the firing pin but the Series 80 plunger would stick in the up position allowing the firing pin to move forward. The plunger can cock in the hole tight enough to wedge it. The spring seems strong enough to work but must not be strong enough to return the plunger every time. Even if I do make such repairs as you recommend I don't think I will ever trust this pistol again on the range or not, I certainly wouldn't trust my life to it as an EDC or trust others lives to it by taking it to the range again. As far as I'm concerned its dead weight, dangerous and useless.

You are also right about ever buying anything made by Remington again, including ammo. I must admit that I had my doubts about buying the R1 based on other issues already mentioned like the R51 fiasco, the 700 trigger issues, the Para take over and now this. The main reason I did buy it was good reviews in magazines and on the internet. That is the main reason I had for starting this thread , to get the issues on the table before others waste their money.

The clincher for me was when Remington told me that they can't repair their 1911s in house and that if they have problems they use a third party to repair their 1911s. Say what!

Thanks for your input it is most welcome.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Seems to be issues with the 9mm guns and extractors , but my 45acp R1 Carry Commander runs flawlessly .
Best damn gun I own besides my Colt Govt Enhanced model .

·
Registered
167 Posts
Their customer service sucks it seems.

That additional money could have been used toward a higher brand.

It seems just because everyone can make a 1911 not everyone should

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
636 Posts
Most of the manufacturers seem to have issues and Ruger and Springfield are no better, it's how they handle those issues is where it counts. My new Ruger 1911 Commander 9mm with the aluminum frame was spitting out shards of aluminum around the grip safety. I sent them pictures and they said "it's a production gun what do you want" since sold all my Rugers. My Springfield stainless 1911 Range Officer 9mm would lock the slide in battery and you could not unlock it with out "palming" the front hard. My local gunsmith took care of it with a file on the barrel feet, said too tight on the slide stop pin. It's sad but you just have to roll with it and have some ability to diagnose and fix some issues yourself or your at the mercy of the manufacturer/smith.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought I would post an update, only good thing I can say is that Remington CS is consistent. As per above, I have a R1 Enhanced that has been nothing but trouble. Failure to cycle rate is about 20-30%. Tried several magazine, ammo and weight types. It is back to Remington or I should say to a third party contracted gunsmith. I was told that Remington can't repair their 1911s in house so instead of going back to the factory they contract warranty repair work out to third parties. Mine is a 9mm, the original issue was the ejector fell out on the first range visit. The retaining pin was too short. They sent me a new one and I installed it. It didn't help so I performed a case retention check on the extractor. There was over 60 thousands of an inch clearance between the case and the breech face when there should be none or at least tight enough to hold the case. It seems that they had put a 45 acp extractor in my 9mm. They sent me another extractor and no change so I tried a Wilson Combat 9mm extractor, it helped but I still had 5-10% failure to cycle. I also had an unintentional discharge when the firing pin block jammed the firing pin in a forward position so when the slide went forward the gun fired without the trigger being pulled. I removed the WC extractor and installed the one Remington sent and shipped the original back as instructed. I called Remington CS and they told me their third party gunsmith had polished the chamber and removed the replacement extractor and re-installed the original extractor. The gun was being shipped back to the Remington factory for test firing. It seems the third party gunsmith didn't test fire the gun before or after his work. He also must not know the difference in 45 and 9mm extractors or how to perform an extractor test. At one time I was an avid Remington fan but no more. This is the company that ruined the Marlin lever guns, messed up the R51 and finally admitted a issue with the triggers on the 700 series rifles after years of saying nothing was wrong and they were safe, not so. I ended up buying A Springfield Armory Range Officer and it has run lawlessly for 2000 rounds so far. The SA Range Officer is the pistol the R1 should have been but was not. I would not go with any Remington product, I would buy another Springfield though, it's a great shooting pistol and very accurate.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Here is my opinion. I would never even consider buying a 9 MM 1911 unless it was a Colt. I just think that the other manufacturers except the premium ones such as Dan Wesson, Wilson, etc. just don't know what they are doing. And, I am not even sure about Dan Wesson. I'll let the Dan Wesson folks speak for themselves.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 45ACP R1 Enhanced had similar problems. It went to the 3'd party shop twice, then back to Ilion for repair. When it still was doing the same thing I called again and they sent a new one. The replacement has been great, it is my most accurate Pistol. My sense is that Remington is kind of like Taurus, it can go great, or be a mess, and CS can be an adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 45ACP R1 Enhanced had similar problems. It went to the 3'd party shop twice, then back to Ilion for repair. When it still was doing the same thing I called again and they sent a new one. The replacement has been great, it is my most accurate Pistol. My sense is that Remington is kind of like Taurus, it can go great, or be a mess, and CS can be an adventure.

Glad your case finally worked out. Mine is back for the third time. I tell them what is wrong (the extractor is a 45 not 9mm) and they refuse to even replace it. They returned it last time and said that they test figured it and it cycled fine. I got it back and out of 100 rounds it failed to cycle 24 rounds for a failure rate of 24% which is what it was when I sent in the first time. When asked how many rounds they fired I was told 3-5 rounds. They didn't even know what I was talking about when I recommended that they run an "extractor tension test" or measure back of case to breech face space. Glad you are happy with your new pistol and wish you many happy trips to the range with it. But as far as I'm concerned the Remington folks don't have the knowledge or ethics To be in the business of making weapons people may put their life on the line with. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sorry for this, no arguments at all, but be persistent and you can get them to do the right thing.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks MI CZ, but I have no confidence they can fix it or they even have a desire to. It's been over six months and you only know part of the story. I was shocked when I was told that they knew they had mixed up the 45 and 9mm extractors but kept selling guns they knew may have the wrong extractor. OK they know they have been told and they still won't do a simple repair to solve the problem. Thanks for the encouragement though I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have an R1 and an R1 Commander. They've both been excellent. Stories like this, and my bad experience with CS trying to get the shorter front site for my 5", made the decision that I will never buy anything Remington again.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have an R1 and an R1 Commander. They've both been excellent. Stories like this, and my bad experience with CS trying to get the shorter front site for my 5", made the decision that I will never buy anything Remington again.
Just buy an after market front site and install it , problem solved and it's not very expensive .
If you think Remington is bad , deal with Colt.
They will berate you , talk to you like your a dumb ass , then maybe you can get the gun fixed properly and back in about 3-6 months .
But that would'nt stop me from buying a nice Colt 1911 when I come across one , same with Remington or any other production gun .
If you want perfection and the best CS now days you better just skip most production guns and go to custom builders that use all tool steel parts and precision fit everything from start to finish .

·
Registered
751 Posts
Just buy an after market front site and install it , problem solved and it's not very expensive .
If you think Remington is bad , deal with Colt.
They will berate you , talk to you like your a dumb ass , then maybe you can get the gun fixed properly and back in about 3-6 months .
That was exactly the experience I had with Remington. After explaining my other 1911s shot to POA, it was shooting low from a rest, and everyone else who shot it, some more skilled than me, shot low with it, he still insisted I didn't know what I was doing and there was nothing wrong with the pistol. I informed him this was a known issue on gun forums, and Remington wouldn't have the shorter front sight if they didn't acknowledge there was an issue. He finally grudgingly gave me the part number so I could order one (pistol was a few months out of warranty). I ordered one, installed it, and Bob's yer uncle, it shoots to POA. I understand where you're coming from, but for me, if CS talks to me like I'm an idiot, they've lost a customer. There are too many other fish in the ocean to patronize a company who treats me that way. When I had an issue with my CZ1911A1, CZ was courteous, prompt, and kept me informed every step of the way during the process.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jeff, you're right. Why should the customer pay for a product that doesn't work, with a warranty they won't honor, etc., etc.? again I used to be a Remington fan and loyal customer. I grew up shooting their shotguns, etc. I still have some from 50 years ago and they are still used. But I will never buy Remington again. I refuse to pay them to lie to me and cheat me again.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I must be lucky or something , I've had the opposite results so far with Remington.
The few times I have called them lately about adjusting or replacing my extractor they were real nice and friendly to talk to and get answers , they even offered to repair my R1 Carry Commander on their dime if I had any issues I could'nt fix myself .
I guess it depends on who you get on the other end of the line and what mood there in .

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JB, they seem nice and probably are , just not competent. They are happy to send you parts so you can fix their mistakes. Its cheaper to do that than send it to their third party contractoin gunsmiths. Once you get to the part where you are tired of having a pistol you paid good money for and it still doesn't work your patience and perspective may change. I have had no real use from the pistol I paid for for over eight months. I have friends that have had the same issue with Remington lever guns, other models of pistols etc. Also, they recommended I break in their 1911 with 200-300 rounds. Well that was another $150 I threw away on this piece of junk. Plus I have never had to break in any well made pistol from other manufacturers.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I had a problem with a gun I bought back 8 years ago or so. I was so buggy, and with so many short cuts taken in it's build. I was getting to the point of chopping it in half.

The builder was High Standard, it is was supposed to be a match grade hardball gun. It wasn't an import, but one made in TX. It's failure rate was impressive. HS didn't give a crap about my issues. They already had my money, and treated me like a turd when I asked them to fix it.

It had a clocking extractor, broken ejector, clipped mainspring that lead to hammer follow, and a coil spring that was clipped off God only knows how long a spring. It was more than 20 pounds. Not to mention an impressive inertial feeding problem.

I got the brush off from them, and took it to Springfield Armory to do the work that I couldn't at the time. They installed a new ejector, firing pin retainer, and extractor. Though they did not tune it.

It worked better, but still was unreliable. So I was made to buy books and tools, and looked to fixing it myself. One of the gun's biggest problems that no one caught, was a pad under the extractor claw that was proud of the claw. In most cases it would have been machined away in most other guns. In this one though, the idiots at HS moto cut a slot in it for the case rim to travel though.

The rim was never getting through the slot, so the slide was slamming home with the round forward of the extractor claw. I filed that to just under the claw, and tuned the extractor. The gun was seen by HS, Springfield, and I spent 2K rounds to get this gun reliable. Not to mention buying all sorts of magazines and tools. It is reliable now, but no thanks to High Standard.

I type this all out because I fear you may be in the same boat. It's time to stop dicking with Remington, and do the work yourself. Just be sure to pass on your experience to others in the future. I try to warn people away from HS every time I see them mentioned.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.