1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to reload Xtreme 200gr plated SWC for my R1 Enhanced. So far, they regularly jam on the feed ramp. I've tried various OAL's, from about 1.2 to 1.25. Does anyone have an OAL that works in their R1?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm trying to reload Xtreme 200gr plated SWC for my R1 Enhanced. So far, they regularly jam on the feed ramp. I've tried various OAL's, from about 1.2 to 1.25. Does anyone have an OAL that works in their R1?
For the R1 I can't say but I found that the Xtreme plated SWCs fail to feed in several guns that I own. I find that Cast lead has a different shape and feed much better.

For reliability I ditched the SWCs and switched to RNs

·
Registered
693 Posts
What is your crimp at? Try an OAL of 1.25 with a taper crimp of .470 and see what that does.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My crimp is .469, and I've tried 1.25, still not reliable for me. I've read about others that have had issues with plated SWC. May just have to throw in the towel on these. I'm shooting Xtreme 230gr RN now which are very reliable. May still play around with the SWC off an on, got plenty left :(.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The numbers all sound good. If you really want to shoot SWC, try lead. How is the feed ramp & port in the barrel?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Byrd - not sure what you mean by how is my feed ramp and port. They look OK to me. I like SWC's for the nice holes they make in paper, but not a big deal and I'm doing OK with RN for now. I'd rather avoid lead - I shoot a lot indoors, and too smokey plus I don't want to deal with leading issues.

bgw45 - I think I tried 1.25, but may try again at .470. I also tried Wilson Combat ETM's.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I was wondering if your feed ramp was polished and I used the wrong word. I should have asked how the throat of your barrel was, not the port, (sorry). Just thinking that the plating on the bullet is sticking on the feed ramp?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wondering if your feed ramp was polished and I used the wrong word. I should have asked how the throat of your barrel was, not the port, (sorry). Just thinking that the plating on the bullet is sticking on the feed ramp?
I don't think the ramp was polished when I got it. It was covered with the same coating as the rest of the chamber. It has worn off after cycling many rounds and now has a polished look to it. Is this normal? I was thinking I may send it back to Remington under their free Platinum Service offer to be checked out.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I've not heard of anyone's gun doing well with plated SWC's. If they feed, they are inaccurate, according to people who have used them.

I'd suggest either Bayou Bullet or SNS castings coated SWC. I've fired tens of thousands of them with little smoke, no mess and a cleaner gun.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I don't own a R1 but when I first tried 200 grn lead SWC in my Kimber I had to go 1.265" OAL. It simply didn't like the SWC any shorter than that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't own a R1 but when I first tried 200 grn lead SWC in my Kimber I had to go 1.265" OAL. It simply didn't like the SWC any shorter than that.
Thanks, I've tried several different OAL's, from very short to very long and haven't found a reliable one yet for my plated SWC. As mentioned, lead may be better and I may try a coated variety sometime.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts