1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My R1 Enhanced is fairly new to me and has performed well with one exception: I cannot disassemble the factory magazines for cleaning. I am probably approaching 800 rounds without ever cleaning the mags. My problem is that the follower will not release from the spring. I believe I follow the instructions correctly, i.e. I pin the compressed spring down and jiggle and tap the magazine but the follower does not come loose as it should.

Any suggestions short of buying aftermarket magazines and/or using a pry bar?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
My R1 Enhanced is fairly new to me and has performed well with one exception: I cannot disassemble the factory magazines for cleaning. I am probably approaching 800 rounds without ever cleaning the mags. My problem is that the follower will not release from the spring. I believe I follow the instructions correctly, i.e. I pin the compressed spring down and jiggle and tap the magazine but the follower does not come loose as it should.

Any suggestions short of buying aftermarket magazines and/or using a pry bar?
Some have little metal tabs on the bottom of the follower, that the spring rests in. You should be able to get it free of the spring without much trouble. Use something to compress the spring down as far as you can. Pin through the mag and spring, and fish down in there with something and pull the follower out.

Do not go prying on any part of the feed lips. I have a set of polymer dental style tools for just this thing.

If you don't want to go to that length to clean the mags. Just compress the spring and follower down, and blow it out with non chlorinated brake cleaner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts