1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Caspian single stack raceready receiver??

does it take regular grips, MSH or are they special fit??

how does one checker the frontstrap with the magwell in place??

do mags need to be modified to fit??

anyone got photos of the magwell area??

overall impression???

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check out the Gun Digest Book of the 1911 book by Patrick Sweeney. He has a review of a Caspian built on a race ready frame. I don't remember the details but it may answer those questions.

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
I can bring mine to the range Sunday if you like.

I built had John build it up for the Single Stack Classic. Its in 40.

Andy pointed up the factory checkering.

Gary might remember it as the "pigboy" frame.

It uses standard everything 'cept for the mainspring housing. I bet you could get away with a standard if you had to. Wouldnt look right, but it could be done in a pinch.

I will try to remember to take some pics tonight and post them here.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Hoser..thanks

are you going going to be at both matches??not sure which one I'll make it too..

appreciate the photos...that will help...

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,065 Posts
I've been using a race ready framed gun for most of the Summer/Fall, and like it a lot. It's my first gun with a magwell funnel, so I don't have anything to compare it to, except the bevelled-frame guns that I'm used to. A couple of 8-round mags that I've tried in it will over-insert if I slam them home smartly; on the other hand, the older McCormick "tactical tens" require that the plastic collar be trimmed somewhat to allow complete insertion; no such problem with 10-round Power Mags. Mine has the factory checkering on it (isn't that standard?), so I can't comment on problems associated with checkering. The checkering doesn't get very close to either the funnel or the trigger guard, so perhaps the checkering stops where it would be too much trouble to checker further?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Tom Freeman said:
I can bring mine to the range Sunday if you like.

I built had John build it up for the Single Stack Classic. Its in 40.

Andy pointed up the factory checkering.

Gary might remember it as the "pigboy" frame.

It uses standard everything 'cept for the mainspring housing. I bet you could get away with a standard if you had to. Wouldnt look right, but it could be done in a pinch.

I will try to remember to take some pics tonight and post them here.
Tom, how hard was it to tune the single stack .40 mags to feed reliably in your gun????

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
bulm5 said:
Tom, how hard was it to tune the single stack .40 mags to feed reliably in your gun????
Not hard at all. All ammo lengths, 1.130-1.170 feed fine with untuned CMC 10mm mags.

I really need to call Virgil and get some 40 cal 10 round mags. I hear they are great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts