1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once saw a video with a tip on how to rack the slide one handed, using the rear sights. I see many posts about the usage of different rear sights, but rarely does anyone mention if they work well racking the slide.
First of all if anyone attempts to try it out, make sure your firearm is unloaded!!!
Now, do you still recommend the sights you favor after attempting to rack the slide using the rear sights?

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts

Don't think it would work with this one. :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
At times there are two conflicting schools of thought on this.

The older traditional Trijicon night sights and other block styles make this relatively easy, but they also tend to snag on things and can rip up your hands.

Other sight profiles use contours and shapes to smooth out the sharp edges on the sight to avoid those issues but then make the one handed slide rack very difficult.

·
Registered
423 Posts
We train and teach to utilize the rear sight against the holster, boot and even sides of the pants. This works better with some rear sights than others (see 10-8 Performance rear 1911 sight). We also train/teach one handed manipulations (reloads, malfunction clearance, etc) using both primary and support hands. Better to know at least the basics before hand rather than try to learn them the moment they’re needed.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
In general Novak are one of the brands that is a no go. The angle on the sight does not give you enough surface to catch on a belt, shoe, table etc....

Heine Ledge, Trijicon, Harrison, Big Dog Customs, Warren, 10-8 etc... all work. Even if you have Novaks you can use the ejection port to rack the slide in a pinch against a hard surface. EDITED: To reload a pistol with one hand you can also kneel down put the gun between your knees reload and then rack the slide one handed on a hard surface. If it is a life or death situation one can also use the front sight against and hard surface. There are lots of ways to skin that cat.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Its something we teach if and only when you have one hand available and you need to rack the slide to reload etc. Its not something you do at every range session and put your sight under stress when not needed. But it is something to be familiar with!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Personally, I think it's silly to think in a life or death gun battle you'd be fending off an attacker with one arm while your gun is jammed and have the sense to rack your malfunctioned gun against a boot, belt or hard counter edge.

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
Once saw a video with a tip on how to rack the slide one handed, using the rear sights. I see many posts about the usage of different rear sights, but rarely does anyone mention if they work well racking the slide.
First of all if anyone attempts to try it out, make sure your firearm is unloaded!!!
Now, do you still recommend the sights you favor after attempting to rack the slide using the rear sights?
Here’s the story of making my rear-sight usable for operating the action:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
* IF * you believe that you may find yourself in a '..life and death..' situation--and you have difficulty racking the slide of your Hi Power--then all the training and practice in the world is most likely to let you down in such a crisis. * What you really need is a DIFFERENT personal defense weapon *, that will allow you to rack the slide....or perhaps a revolver.

Placing a loaded pistol between you knees or using the rear sights or any of the other methods described to arm the weapon is both STUPID and DANGEROUS. You're far more likely to shoot yourself or someone/something else than address a real or imagined 'life and death' threat.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
* IF you believe that you may find yourself in a '..life and death..' situation--and you have difficulty racking the slide of your Hi Power--then all the training and practice in the world is most likely to let you down in such a crisis. What you really need is a DIFFERENT personal defense weapon *, that will allow you to rack the slide....or perhaps a revolver.

Placing a loaded pistol between you knees or using the rear sights or any of the other methods described to arm the weapon is both STUPID and DANGEROUS. You're far more likely to shoot yourself or someone/something else than address a real or imagined 'life and death' threat.
This guy would disagree with you but then again what does he know.

We are not talking about not being able to rack a slide with 2 hands. Changing to a different pistol or to a revolver is not going to change the possiblity of having to manipulate a gun with only one hand. A weak hand can be occupied or injured in multiple ways. People often insure their off hand fending someone or something off.

Knowing how to do it with the gun you carry is another skill or tool in the tool box. It needs to be practiced in a safe manner so if you have to do it you can do it properly and without endangering yourself or others. Racking a slide off a stationary object, your boot, your belt, your holster, your pants pocket can all be done with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. IIRC Clint Smith always tells you to use a technique where the muzzle is always pointed at the target or the threat. He demonstrates that can be achieved by using your belt or holster.

PS Let me clarify. I misstyped about dropping to your knees. Dropping to your knees is used to reload a pistol with one hand. You place it slide down muzzle pointed away from you holding it between your legs. Strip the used mag if needed out of the gun place new mag into it and then rack it one handed on a hard surface. I am not advocating using your knees to rack the slide. I personally think using your holster for this is better if you are forced into this situation. I misstyped that and I 100% retract that statement but I believe the rest stands.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
>>...Changing to a different pistol or to a revolver is not going to change the possiblity of having to manipulate a gun with only one hand...<<<
No. It wouldn't BUT (and this is a very important 'but') nor would it require that the person to have to manipulate ANY controls other than trigger and perhaps a manual safety....ready for what might be the proverbial '..life and death..' situation.

If you're trying to affix something with a screw, the proper tool to use is a screwdriver...not a hammer. If you feel compelled to carry a firearm for personal protection...then it should be the proper firearm for you...ready to use as circumstances arise.

I can just hear the villain now:
"..I'm sorry to have awakened you, sir, when I broke into your home That was not my intention, I can assure you. I only broke a small window in a back door in the process of the break-in which must have disturbed your sleep. I was doing my best to be stealthy...but you know, these things happen. Please accept my apologies for the disturbance. I can see that you're having difficulty preparing your pistol. May I suggest that you use the edge of your nightstand to rack the slide, chamber a round and cock the hammer.. It's dark in here, sir.. Would you like me to turn on a light so that you can see better? We wouldn't want any untoward accident to happen during the commission of this crime. Dear me, no !! I can wait to continue the robbery until you're properly prepared...I'm in no hurry...Just let me know when you're ready, sir..".

It's odd that no one has suggested that under the condition described the simplest solution to the problem is that the person simply carry or keep their single action Hi Power in Condition 1--round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on....or Condition 2--round in the chamber, hammer down.

Employing outside devices or methods to make the firearm '..ready..' for use is at least silly....and potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
No. It wouldn't BUT (and this is a very important 'but') nor would it require that the person to have to manipulate ANY controls other than trigger and perhaps a manual safety....ready for what might be the proverbial '..life and death..' situation.

If you're trying to affix something with a screw, the proper tool to use is a screwdriver...not a hammer. If you feel compelled to carry a firearm for personal protection...then it should be the proper firearm for you...ready to use as circumstances arise.

I can just hear the villain now:
"..I'm sorry to have awakened you, sir, when I broke into your home That was not my intention, I can assure you. I only broke a small window in a back door in the process of the break-in which must have disturbed your sleep. I was doing my best to be stealthy...but you know, these things happen. Please accept my apologies for the disturbance. I can see that you're having difficulty preparing your pistol. May I suggest that you use the edge of your nightstand to rack the slide, chamber a round and cock the hammer.. It's dark in here, sir.. Would you like me to turn on a light so that you can see better? We wouldn't want any untoward accident to happen during the commission of this crime. Dear me, no !! I can wait to continue the robbery until you're properly prepared...I'm in no hurry...Just let me know when you're ready, sir..".

It's odd that no one has suggested that under the condition described the simplest solution to the problem is that the person simply carry or keep their single action Hi Power in Condition 1--round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on....or Condition 2--round in the chamber, hammer down.

Employing outside devices or methods to make the firearm '..ready..' for use is at least silly....and potentially dangerous.
People are not talking about carrying a gun, Israeli in condition 2, where is has to be racked in order to chamber a round to get into the fight. We are talking about the conditions under which you might have to rack a slide during a gun fight. I can think of 2 scenarios. First is needing to reload. The second is clearing a malfuction.

Bottom feeders like the BHP which have bullets supplied via a magazine are mechanical devises which are prone to malfunction. If you have never had a handgun you are shooting malfunction you are not shooting enough. Lets look at another video. Lets listen to Clint because I think he knows what he is talking about. In this video you will see a demonstration of 3 of the most common semiautomatic pistol malfunctions.

In order to clear all of these malfunctions you have to rack the slide. It is not about what condition you should carry or keep your gun it is about how to clear and malfunction with only hand in a gun fight. Now do you understand or are you just being deliberately obtuse? People are trying to discuss racking a slide with one hand during a gunfight because you had to clear a malfunction or have to reload a gun with only one hand. This is why I made the clarification earlier about reloading a pistol between ones knees.

I will agree 100% that if you carry a SAO gun like a 1911 or BHP you should carry it cocked and clocked in condition one. If it is a Glock carry it round in the chamber. The same is true for a traditional DA/SA gun like a Sig P226 but that is not what people are talking about.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have seen two very recent officer involved shooting body cam videos where officers have had jams they needed to clear. In addition, just a couple of days ago, a Texas officer was shot in the hand, engaged his targets, and had to reload. Knowing what to do when things don't work is part of making things work.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
This guy might also know something about it but then again maybe not.

Reactions: tgt_usa

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
In general Novak are one of the brands that is a no go. The angle on the sight does not give you enough surface to catch on a belt, shoe, table etc....

Heine Ledge, Trijicon, Harrison, Big Dog Customs, Warren, 10-8 etc... all work. Even if you have Novaks you can use the ejection port to rack the slide in a pinch against a hard surface. EDITED: To reload a pistol with one hand you can also kneel down put the gun between your knees reload and then rack the slide one handed on a hard surface. If it is a life or death situation one can also use the front sight against and hard surface. There are lots of ways to skin that cat.
^^^ this ^^^

Captain Obvious here, adding:

Practice - To expect one-hand, especially non-dominant hand, to work for you without practicing it is unrealistic. IIRC, I’ve attended and / or assistant-instructed two “wounded shooter” classes; another where it was a briefly addressed side-topic. The classes can look pretty scary: most students are entirely unpracticed; some are also pretty much monodextrous. But you also see some examples of people who’ve both previously learned and then practiced. As to not thinking to use the techniques: learning and practicing is how one has a chance to do anything useful other than use natural weapons (e.g. fists, teeth).

Practice conducted with the same safety protocols as other dry-fire practice.

Don’t think it’s worth your effort? Then don’t.

Equipment - Brought up in this thread and mentioned in mine linked above: to use for practice, the rear sight is going to suffer some stress. My recommendation is use a cleared non-carry gun / non-gun for skill-building and a cleared carry gun for testing. Be a crying’ shame to become so skilled that losing use of a hand barely slows you, then have the sight break off during a fire-fight while trying to re-charge the chamber.

Hmmm ... just now occurs to me that there may be a great equipment option I’ve not heard / seen bruited.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In the unit I was in many moons ago we practiced it everytime we went to the pistol range during float work ups
I will catch heat for this but in the modern world I don't chamber a round in Glock unless my antenna goes up situationally ,my life my choice. Last summer I took my 11 month old Yellow lab out about dusk to take a squirt get around the side of the house on the tree walk and here comes a vibrant individual with 2 Pits ,all dogs alert . I drew holding my pup racked on my belt and the person of diversity immediately crossed the street with his pits ,not going to have my boy used as bait
It is a usable skill set

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
In the unit I was in many moons ago we practiced it everytime we went to the pistol range during float work ups
It is a usable skill set
^^^ this ... ^^^

... Concur

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just don't see that being a practical worry in my realm of wonder. If one arm is hurt so bad that I can't use it, and my 13 or 15 or whatever-round sidearm is already empty...and I'm still trying to fight...I'm probably down to biting ankles until they finish me off haha.

I'd go with the sights that work best until the bullets run out :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts