1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 CQB. I'd like to put an aftermarket rail on to mount a light. Any suggestions as to which is best? I think it would need to be a bolt on. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't drill into the frame of a CQB. I'd just go the route of the Surefire MR07.

http://www.surefire.com/mr07-mounting-rail.html
That's an interesting product but it requires replacing your slide stop which is a very critical part in a 1911 and normally requires fitting for best results.

jack852,

If I were in your position I would contact Wilson and see if it's possible for them to add a rail your gun. If it’s not or you simply don't want to go that route then I would invest in a quality hand held flashlight and use the two hand technique. You might also see if you can trade your CQB for a railed CQB of a similar vintage. I’ve seen them for sale on gunbroker from time to time.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Concur with .45_ACP, above.

You can approach this as a training issue, and just work with a separate hand light, or you can go in active pursuit of a properly-railed pistol for a dedicated hard-mount, but I don't believe that an interim or rigged solution would offer much long-term satisfaction when we are talking about guns built at this level.

Having taken both approaches myself in the past, and having a pistol in each configuration sitting within arm's reach of me right now, I'm still not sure that I have a strong preference, even if I have an admitted soft-spot for the railed gun.

AC

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Concur with .45_ACP, above.

You can approach this as a training issue, and just work with a separate hand light, or you can go in active pursuit of a properly-railed pistol for a dedicated hard-mount, but I don't believe that an interim or rigged solution would offer much long-term satisfaction when we are talking about guns built at this level.

Having taken both approaches myself in the past, and having a pistol in each configuration sitting within arm's reach of me right now, I'm still not sure that I have a strong preference, even if I have an admitted soft-spot for the railed gun.

AC
Thanks to all who replied!

·
Registered
181 Posts
MARS Armament or Novak rail would be your best bet (both require drilling).

I tried a Surefire MR07 on both my Baer and Brown and the replacement slide stop seemed to just barely engage the notch on an empty magazine. Nice idea in theory.

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
You can probably get your hands on a discontinued Dawson and have it welded on

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Not to flog the expired equine, but I would not compromise any Wilson gun with any third-party add-on rail, no matter what the method of attachment, manufacturer or perceived benefit. Invest in a quality hand light, do a little training with it and put the matter to rest until such time as you might otherwise see fit to acquire a purpose-built rail gun.

If you think about it, you actually have a more open palette of options with your CQB just the way that it is right now. No holster limitations. No decisions to make about taking the light on or off. No having a pistol tied-up for any particular role. Granted, I could offer a quick counterpoint for each of these arguments without a lot of effort, but unless you just happen to have several CBQs sitting around without any real purpose, there is little reason to start make changes to the one you've already got.

AC

·
Banned
817 Posts
AC is right, I wouldn't alter a Wilson for an "add on" or "third party" piece of equipment. That's just my opinion and it's your Wilson. Good luck with deciding.
Bill

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I've had a 1911 with an add on rail. While shooting it stripped the holes (dust cover is very thin). The light and rail hit the deck. Definately not the way to go!

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
PM the WilsonCombtRep and see if they would take your CQB back in trade for a new railed CQB. :D

Just curious, what part of NC?

·
Registered
962 Posts
As others have stated, not try to aftermarket a rail system for your CQB. Invest in a Surefire L4 or other handheld light and train, train train with it. You need a quality handheld light for target identification. Don't use the weapon light to identify a friendly or intruder. There are some great options out there for different techniques with handheld lights. But remember 1 is none and 2 is one. So whatever light you decide on, buy a second one. I buy the same so the ergonomics are always the same and I don't have to think in the heat of the moment.

The other option you have is buy a railed CQB :) and tell your spousal unit that I said it was ok for reasons stated above.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts