1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seeing that I get a crazy amount of .40 for free and that I love shooting a 1911 vs the issued Glock, I figured it was time. I have a SACS build and a Baer in 45acp that I use for USPSA. Time spent reloading vs doing stuff I need to do justified the cost. I contacted Derek back at the beginning of Sept and inquired if Alex was willing to build one in .40. Derek had to ask the boss. I think telling him that I will only be shooting factory Federal American Eagle 180g and not reloading helped. Not sure it helped any telling him it will likely see around 1000 rounds a week helped much.

Shooting 45 in comp, .40 and 9mm for work always threw me off so I plan on this being my primary competition and work trainer.

11 weeks after the build sheet was agree to, I got it. Could not shoot it the day I picked it up, 11/25 but shot 150 rounds of AE 180g and 50 rounds of HST 180g on 11/26. Banged out another 750 rounds of AE and 50 rounds of HST today for a clean 1000 rounds.

There was not a single issue. NO problems feeding or ejecting.

Slide to frame fit is better than my LBCC. Super precise with absolutely zero play even when out of battery. Barrel fit is insane. Very smooth to cycle and the thick bushing is almost tight enough for a bushing wrench but I can just manage to turn it by hand. Leaves some impressions for a few minutes in my finger after turning it though. The thumb safety is super crisp and my thumb is hurting on the top from activating it. I do wish it wasn't so tight pushing it up but deactivating it is super nice. As others have stated before, there are no machining marks inside or out. The attention to detail is incredible.

Ill keep this updated as I get large round counts done.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Seeing that I get a crazy amount of .40 for free and that I love shooting a 1911 vs the issued Glock, I figured it was time. I have a SACS build and a Baer in 45acp that I use for USPSA. Time spent reloading vs doing stuff I need to do justified the cost. I contacted Derek back at the beginning of Sept and inquired if Alex was willing to build one in .40. Derek had to ask the boss. I think telling him that I will only be shooting factory Federal American Eagle 180g and not reloading helped. Not sure it helped any telling him it will likely see around 1000 rounds a week helped much.

Shooting 45 in comp, .40 and 9mm for work always threw me off so I plan on this being my primary competition and work trainer.

11 weeks after the build sheet was agree to, I got it. Could not shoot it the day I picked it up, 11/25 but shot 150 rounds of AE 180g and 50 rounds of HST 180g on 11/26. Banged out another 750 rounds of AE and 50 rounds of HST today for a clean 1000 rounds.

There was not a single issue. NO problems feeding or ejecting.

Slide to frame fit is better than my LBCC. Super precise with absolutely zero play even when out of battery. Barrel fit is insane. Very smooth to cycle and the thick bushing is almost tight enough for a bushing wrench but I can just manage to turn it by hand. Leaves some impressions for a few minutes in my finger after turning it though. The thumb safety is super crisp and my thumb is hurting on the top from activating it. I do wish it wasn't so tight pushing it up but deactivating it is super nice. As others have stated before, there are no machining marks inside or out. The attention to detail is incredible.

Ill keep this updated as I get large round counts done.

Awesome! Congrats. I’m in for the updates and more pics once you get some rounds down range. Looks like a really great gun and I, for one, like the front cocking serrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,331 Posts
Ask, and yee shall receive...;). Very nice and congrats.
I just got my 4th GI last month. They’re phenomenal pistols.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ask, and yee shall receive...;). Very nice and congrats.
I just got my 4th GI last month. They’re phenomenal pistols.
HAHA, this one has me debating on selling the others to fund another in 9 or 45.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
What's the mag capacity for .40?

What's the checkering LPI front & Back? How's it feel? Is it rough like a cheese grater?

How do you manage to get free 40?

Beautiful gun.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the mag capacity for .40?

What's the checkering LPI front & Back? How's it feel? Is it rough like a cheese grater?

How do you manage to get free 40?

Beautiful gun.
15LPI front and back. I have a Springfield custom build that has 20LPI that hurts after 500-600. Took a while to get used to. The 15LPI is not so sharp but feels grippy. I enjoy the 15LPI better so far. It is totally different than the 30LPI on my Baer. The Baer is super comfortable but the 15LPI lets you know you have a solid grip.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got over 3,000 rounds down range. Did the first complete tear down and cleaning. Gun ran great. Had one issue around 2,000 rounds where it had hammer follow. Only happened once and I am not totally sure it was not me doing something funky with the trigger when it happened. But it did not happen again. Really impressed with the gun.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had 3 weeks of no shooting around Christmas but been running it hard. Hit 7200 rounds thru it today. Had a feeding issue with a Tripp Cory mag but only use that during dryfiring now. Tripp 40 mags have been flawless and have 11 of them now.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Current set up, techwell, Jem Guns Alum MSH at 15LPI, and a Brazo front sight. Weight is 41.6oz with a mag.

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just hit 9,000 rounds thru her. I must say, I have had more issues with my Gen5 Glock 17 that with this gun. It just runs and I keep her dirty. Really enjoying it.

The barrel hood lugs have some funky wear that I have never seen on my SACS or Baer. I contacted GI with photos who said it is due to the Melonite and not to worry. I will keep an eye on her and likely send it in for a check up after Western States Single Stack Classic.

·
Registered
524 Posts
This is a sharp gun.....I had thought about having SACS do a full build like this in .40 cal since I also have a abundance of dept. 40 ammo....unfortunately SACS stopped doing full specd guns. Now I run my warren tactical 9MM like a scalded dog since our duty guns are now 9MM also.

Keep us posted and would love to see some details pics of the insides.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice, I always liked the Warren Guns.

·
Premium Member
7,331 Posts
Thanks for updates and pics. Not surprised the gun has been running well with your round counts, but good nonetheless that you verified it. Get a light yet?
Keep them coming!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I swap my duty light (streamlight HL) from the Glock to this when I use my work belt but typically run the competition holster. I will grab a Surefire down the road. I really like the muzzle lift reduction but the focus is running this gun in competition. I am barely under weight limit.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well after 7,000 rounds I noticed odd wear in the hood lugs. At 12,000 it was bad and had some slide stop wear from the feet. Gun went back and they are replacing the entire top end. Hope to have an update soon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you happen to have pics of the wear on the lugs? Were the wear points on the barrel itself or inside the slide?
Also, can you shoot standard length .40cal in this gun?
Thanks!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It shot factory ammo, standard lenght like
A Champ. Not a single failure in 12,000 rounds that wasn’t a magazine issue (1 specific mag of the 12 I have) or an out of spec round. Spoke with Alex this week and he assured me, it will be made right or rebuilt until right. Also said he has never seen an issue like this in all the guns he built.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow, all three lugs on both the barrel and slide have been worn down?? In all my browsing of this website's gunsmithing knowledge base, I've never seen anything like that. What could cause this? Improper steel hardness? That's just bizarre.
Glad to hear they're taking care of you though.

·
Premium Member
7,331 Posts
Those marks are pretty funky looking.

Not surprised at all that GI is replacing whatever is needed.

Thank for the follow up and pics.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts