1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a shop that gives every Colt a ramp-job prior to putting in the counter for sale. Is this really necessary? Do the Colts (specifically the Commanders) need ramp polishing? I was under the impression that the new dimpled ramps were performing just fine without tuning.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh he was very honest about it.

The commander he was showing me was about to be stripped to the frame, action smoothed, ramp job and new trigger.

Actually, I was pretty impressed with the work. He really smooths it out. He gave me a before and after example. The new aluminum trigger was very crisp in comparison to the stock trigger.

It seems like a lot of people go through with said modifications after they purchase their 1911s. So I am wondering if this is just an added bonus to get a cleaned up piece from day one or if I am better off just getting the gun as Colt intended and hoping for the best out of the box.

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
He sounds like a very well-meaning dealer, but I'd be concerned about voiding the warranty with that work.

·
Administrator
72,486 Posts
Does he jack up the price afterwards as well?

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
This seems bizarre to me. Most gunsmiths charge between $100.-200. or more for the type of work you are talking about. Polishing the ramp, installing a new trigger, smooting the action, all of which involve cleaning and lubing the piece...Does he radius the throat also? All before the gun goes out for sale? Does this happen to any other guns?

Something isn't right with the picture.

tipoc

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Dittos...

...on what the other folks here said about this practice being bizarre. Have never heard of a store doing something like this. Does he take out Series 80 parts from guns, or add Series 80 parts to the S70 guns, too? How about putting FLGRs in all the guns that don't have 'em, and take 'em out of the guns that DO? :rolleyes: Any other voodoo-ish gun"smithing" services offered there? Maybe install SFS parts in all the Hi-Powers, or add a thumb safety to the Glocks or something? Truly weird....

·
Administrator
13,261 Posts
I think AZ brought up the most valid point . The dealer appears to have voided the warranty .

I'm sure he is charging for this work . Sounds like a marketing ploy to add profit into a low profit item . ex : We will pre-mount a scope on a 10/22 or Marlin 60 before putting out for sale . More profit and the customer gets a nice package .

·
Banned
4,135 Posts
It sure does seem odd that he will do this. He must certainly be raising the price as well. Generally, though, new Colts don't NEED any of this. They almost always run flawlessly just as the factory made them. Doesn't mean that a few mods aren't nice... like a smoother trigger. Feeding reliability on Colts is as good or better than any other brands... owing, in part, to the groove Colt cuts into the bottom of the barrel throat and the guns not being made too tight.

Interestingly, some dealers of other products do mods and upgrades to brand new products before putting them on the sales floor... one of the motorcycle shops I frequent routinely puts on a set of aftermarket pipes or saddlebags on a new bike (and, of course, jacks up the price). Personally, I'd prefer to buy a gun or bike box stock and do (or have done) any mods myself!

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
What business-person would want to accept the additional accountability? It just doesn't seem right. We build custom ARs, bolt rifles, and the like. That is one thing--custom products, sold as such. I would never customize, or gunsmith a stock production item and sell it as such. If the trigger is bad, send it back. Sell it at cost. Take care of the return. Something other than wrenching on it yourself has got to be a better idea.

Just my very humble opinion.

Damian

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
It may be that the original poster misinterpreted what the dealer said. The dealer may offer these adjustments as an option on new pieces and recommend that they be done at the time of purchase. He may have done some on new guns and set them in the display case. So long as the customer understands what has been done and the implications (adds to the price, warrenty, etc.) no harm is done. This would make sense.
tipoc

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. The dealer DOES ad some cost onto the gun. That's to be expected, but it's a very reasonable amount considering the work he does to it. I suspect that despite his recommendations, I would not be forced to accept any work that I did not want done. Still, I was very pleased with what I saw so I would absolutely consider buying from him. However, I am not sure I would accept the ramp-job. A new trigger would be on the menu for a new commander - no matter what. If it's included at the time of original purchase -- all the better.

What confuses me is everybody's concern over voiding the warranty since it appears that a goodly portion of those here trade out parts, get action work done, and do some type of work on their 1911's to "improve" the firearm either aesthetically or functionally. Voiding the warranty is a valid concern. I just have not heard anyone make mention of it until now. What gives?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ramp job was the actual point of my original post. I just wanted to know if that's a necessary piece of work considering the new dimpled ramp. Thus the title -- rampjob schmapjob.

If it's not needed, then I will tell the dealer to refrain from polishing the ramp.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If he is simply polishing the ramp and nothing more, I don't see a problem with it. But if he's reshaping things... I'd be suspicious. The best bet to see a stock gun next to one he's touched and decide whether what he's doing makes sense or not.

·
Banned
4,135 Posts
I second Hansgraf... polishing is fine, reshaping is not. Enjoy your Colts! :cool:

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
The only time I've heard of such practice is when the dealer involved was also a certified "warranty repair station" for the mfg. in question. I'd suggest strongly that you check this out before a buying a weapon from this dealer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Beware!! I purchased a series 70 with a "ramp polishing". It would only fire 2-3 rounds before a functioning failure. It is now having steel welded in place. I have fired several Colts without modification. I do recomend a Teddy Jacobson ignition system. Beware!

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
I'm curious, what his markup for the work?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts