1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been wondering what the significance of the Rampant Colt symbol, and a call the Colt's archive department yielded the answer...

The Colt is on the Colt family crest, and the story is as follows...

A Knight was unhorsed and his mount realized this and went back to protect his rider as he was about to be run through with a spear.

The horse caught the spear between his front legs and broke it in half, The broken part of the spear is pictured in the horses mouth....

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
An old legend. Bucephalus, Alexander's horse, is said to have saved his life in this way. The story may be older than that. It was resurrected by a Colt ad man in the 1880s or so.

tipoc

·
Banned
758 Posts
Is it true the old horse had a weiner, but someone objected to it and it was removed? :biglaugh:

I heard this somewhere, don't remember why.

I'm more interested in why that weird middle eastern/russian style blue dome was constructed on the old factory.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I wonder if the symbolism here is that Colt firearms are like the horse protecting its owner - during any difficulties?
Well yes, obviously. 100 years ago any school kid (if you got to go to school) knew the name of Alexander's horse and the legend of it defending it's master. So the Colt was always ready to come to the masters defense.

In Douglas Sheldon's book on the .38 Super this story is told on the opening pages.

tipoc

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm more interested in why that weird middle eastern/russian style blue dome was constructed on the old factory.
Apparently, Sam Colt had a fascination with Byzantine architecture and used the iconic symbol to attract attention to his factory. His home, Armsmear, also incorporated a dome (from Colt's website):

1 - 7 of 7 Posts