1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Kimber put a ramped barrel on their aluminum guns?
From the posts I'm gathering that they don't.
I've seen SA's, and they do.
Isn't this pretty important on an alminum frame?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
No ramped barrels in the Kimber.

But if you want a steel feedramp installed, the Kimber people will direct you to Evolution Gunworks. Takes a couple of weeks and costs a bunch. I'd recommend wearing the factory ramp out first.

Callahan

·
Registered
163 Posts
I *think* that the .40S&W Kimber has a ramped barrel, but I could be wrong as I am only repeating what I have been told.

As far as ramps on pistols. . . some folks like 'em some folks hate 'em.

Not being a 'smith, I can't say which type is easier to work on, just that a majority of pistols are now sporting ramped barrels. Is this out of ease of manufacture or because ramped barrels or more reliable? I can't say.

I will say that if they (ramped barrels) were less reliable I don't believe that Sig or Glock would be sporting them.

It could just be a 1911 thing.

Derek

·
Registered
71 Posts
The new 38 super Stainless Gold Match SE II has a ramped barrel according to the Kimber web-site.

------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep
voting on the dinner menu. Liberty is a
well-armed sheep.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I don't want to set off a forest fire here, but what the hell??? Why *wouldn't* you want a ramped system?

Now, if you plan on doing custom loads for a pistol, then I could see some value there. But, if you're using calibers along the spec, like 98% of us are, then I don't get it....?

So, if there are any 'smiths out there - please explain this...

-Nick

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Originally posted by Inspector Harry Callahan:
No ramped barrels in the Kimber.

But if you want a steel feedramp installed, the Kimber people will direct you to Evolution Gunworks. Takes a couple of weeks
I wish
usually longer than a couple weeks.
But you can get a slot and shoot up until then.
Also the custom shop uses ramped barrels regularly.

and costs a bunch.

Well it is not a quick easy job. I looked in the dictionary and it said a bunch is 125.00
it is less than that

I'd recommend wearing the factory ramp out first.

Me too.

Callahan
Ok here is the rub.
45 with ramp barrels are a not the easiest thing in the world to get to feed. by the time they do feed the support the ramp gave you is mostly gone. they work for para but para's mag delivers the round higher than most other guns.

the next problem is the std 45 ramp needs to be about .400 deep from the rail down to feed agressive hollow points well. A Ramp barrel is cut into the frame around .310 deep.
the bullets still hit below the ramp.
so on an alum. frame it is not a cure in 45.

there was a post on another forum that stated that guns with ramp barrels do not feed.
when questioned no one answered.
I would argue and I suspect others would also. in 38 9x23 and 40 they work just fine.

geo ><> 10,000 race guns can't all be wrong.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've owned a couple a shorty(3.5" barrel) S&W .45's (one aluminum frame) and they both possesed ramped barrels.They fed everything just fine.Before I found this forum I thought all auto's were set up this way and found the 1911 system sorta strange.Using a frame mounted ramp out of aluminum doesn't seem to be the smartest choice,but I guess if designed right could provide long service.Like I said,these guns functioned with anything.Both were highly polished from the factory and VERY steep so (as Mr.Smith said)I don't belive they provided much support for the case if any at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts