1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Springfield loaded model in 9mm and have had a long series of problems with it feeding. I have tried all different kinds of ammo and both of Springfields two different style 9mm magazines. It seems that Springfield makes this gun sometimes with a ramped barrel and sometimes with a non-ramped barrel. Mine is the non-ramped. Many shooters I know say getting the ramped barrel installed will solve my problems. I do know of one individual that had this done and swears it did solve his feeding problems. Just want to know what others think about this?

·
Registered
140 Posts
you might want to ask springfield about that. rather than spending $200+ for a new barrel you might get springfield to look at it. if you're the original owner they should fix this under warranty.

another possible cheaper alernative(if they don't fix it under warranty) is to check with them if getting a reliablity job done(throating the barrel and polishing the feed ramp) will fix the problem...my guess is that if they do fix it under warranty a reliablity job is what they'll do.

i'm no expert, but i always thought any 1911 chambered in something other than .45 usually came with a ramped barrel because of feeding issues.

and someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think you can just drop in a ramped barrel in a frame that takes a standard non-ramped barrel...i think there is milling involved to make the ramped barrel work.

-kotonk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine has the ramped barrel and I've experience no feed problems of any sort with any ammunition. I have to agree with kotonk about getting Springfield to handle it. I bet they'll make it right.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
A ramp is a ramp is a ramp..the round should be able to feed whether it is a ramped barrel or not..

having a ramped barrel is not the way to fix a feeding problem..a ramped barrel is to provide case support to weak cartridges when loading to max pressures..

have springfield or a gunsmith you trust check the angle of the ramp and the throating of the barrel..there is probably an issue there..

also you did not specify what type of feed problems you are having..that coud help us diagnose the problem..one type of bullet or shape....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the non-ramped barrel. My pistol likes longer overall length cartridges. I was shooting Rainier 124 grain flatpoint with bullet just a couple thousandths off the rifling. Gun would not feed reliably even with the "front ramp" magazines. Changed to the Rainier 124 grain hollowpoint. Gun now is reliable with the "front ramp" magazines. Going to try the ten round 38 super magazine again with the longer cartridge.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
cliffdropover1

In a 1911, 9mm is one of the harder calibers to get to feed reliably, since it has the shortest case. That being said, Springfield or a good local smith should be able to adjust your pistol without installing a ramped barrel. A ramped barrel is mainly for providing extra support to the case when firing higher pressure loads. There are several smiths that will tell you that it is more difficult to get a ramped barrel to feed properly since the relationships between the top of the magazine, bottom of the barrel ramp, and the gap between the frame and the ramp become critical. So in general if your pistol has a steel frame you are better off with the standard barrel and having a reliability job done. If your frame is aluminum you may benefit from a ramped barrel because the barrel ramp will take most of the impact from the feeding round or the magazine follower, which reduces frame damage.

My recommendation is to contact Springfield and send your pistol to them if they think it needs work. If you want to try a different barrel, get a Wilson or Ed Brown drop in barrel and bushing in .38Super, plus a couple of Super magazines. The 1911 (1905 actually) was originally designed to use the .38acp cartridge which has a longer case than 9mm, and evolved into the .38 Super.

You just might be surprized by what the change does to your pistol.
Str8_Shot

·
Registered
256 Posts
Call SA! 2 years ago I had a Champion carry-comp that broke off the lower bbl. lug ! sent it to them and it came back with new bbl. no questions asked! Excellent service!:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the help. I will be contacting Springfield to send the gun back. The other shooter I spoke of did get Springfield to install the ramped barrel. No charge. I was a bit upset with them when they told me it would take 2 to 10 days before they could call me back just to tell me if an item was in stock. This didn't make sense to me. After this bad experience with their customer service, I was reluctant to try to deal with them again. However, I will take your advice and call them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts