1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a Springfield Mil-spec, I assume that it has an unramped barrel. Would it be advantageous to get a ramped barrel from like Bar-Sto, in terms of reliability in feeding hollow points, etc.? Why were ramped barrels made in the first place? I really have no clue what I'm talking about, so please help.

Thanks,

themao

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
In 45ACP there is no need for a ramped barrel. The ramped barrel was born out of IPSC to give the 38 super more case support for high pressure loads. Without the support, cases would occasionaly rupture and blow out. no fun to have happen to you. You can find most barrels now being made with the option of a ramped barrel, but it really is not needed in 9mm, 9x23, 10mm or 45 ACP even though its offered. If you choose to use one, you will need to have the frame of your gun milled to fit the ramp, of which there are at least three diffenent types..

Anyway, hope that helps..bottom line..is in 45, you don't need one nor do you want one.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree. Unless you need one to handle high pressure (or you tend to use brass until it self destructs!), it is not required and IS expensive to install. However, I don't see any reason not to have one if you really want it. They don't, in my experience, negatively affect reliability, and may tend to increase reliability in some cases.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not only that,a ramped barrel will cause more feed/function problems(.45 ACP).

·
Registered
345 Posts
I also don't see a great need for ramped barrels. They have now reduced the power factor in .38/9mm type cartridges, therefore the high pressures in the past are not needed anymore. I have loaded my 9mm hot in my 1911 and still don't see case stretching and ruptures. They must have had those supers at the edge to demand ramped barrels. I don't think that's a safe move in any case.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
In an aluminum frame, a ramp barrel also helps increase the feeding capability as well as prolong the life of the frame.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Not all ramped barrels have more chamber support than non ramped ones. There is no need for a ramped barrel in a 1911 in normal calibers, but at least theoretically they offer advantages (if the gun is set up properly) by dispensing of the "step" that is necessary in a normal 1911, that's why all modern designs are ramped (and many of them, like some Glocks, have a lot of "unsupported chamber"). I've seen many Paras that are 100% reliable with their factory ramped barrels.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I recently purchased an Ed Brown Class A Limited .45 (new) with the "para feed" (ramped) barrel. I had a lot of feed problems first time out of the box. Ed seemed to think that it was a recoil spring problem and sent me a new 18# spring. Haven't had a chance to fire it since, so don't know if it his fixed. Anyway, I don't think that I will get another ramped barrel.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Originally posted by Wit:
In an aluminum frame, a ramp barrel also helps increase the feeding capability as well as prolong the life of the frame.
Sorry to have to disagree.
Mr friend eerw, the first ramp I know of is in the 1902 colt paralell ruler design, 38 acp.
(probably in the 1900 design also)

In a 45 single stack with hollow points the bullet nose usually hits below the .300 deep ramp and can still dig into the alum frame.
(mostly first round with a full mag) the reduced size of the barrel foot print that hits the frame will probably wear faster than a non ramped barrel (larger impact area)
and as always the alum lives much longer with hard coat anodizing.

You have to throat the barrel so much to feed in a 45 that is negates any advantages in support.

geo ><>

·
Registered
257 Posts
Originally posted by spock:
I also don't see a great need for ramped barrels. They have now reduced the power factor in .38/9mm type cartridges, therefore the high pressures in the past are not needed anymore.
Not a good idea. Most 38 super major loads, even with the reduced power factor, are still over pressure. There's a difference between "loading hot" and loading for major. I please urge everyone NOT to load 9/38 to major with out a supported barrel, unless you can find a listed load, and then watch it very carefully.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Thanks Geo for the correct info...I have learned that a lot of the innovations of the present actually are from a long time ago..goes to show, a lot of the early smiths knew what they were doing...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Right,PK-I've experimented with major caliber .38 Super loads a bunch-no fully-supported barrel,and you have a hand(and face)full of shrapnel.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Originally posted by fremont:
Okay, I'm confused. George Smith: Are you saying a ramped barrel makes sense with an alloy frame or not?
For a para frame it makes a lot of sense, the mag delivers the round to the ramp on the barrel. On a single stack, the bullet hits below the ramp on the first round. mid mag the bullets hit the ramp so It is probably an advantage as most rounds hit the steel ramp instead of the alum frame.
the other alternative is a steel insert like you may have seen the resident pistolsmith's
do on the gunsmithing posts.
geo ><>

·
Registered
196 Posts
"It is probably an advantage as most rounds hit the steel ramp instead of the alum frame."

This is Springfields logic for using a
ramp on my alum. frame loaded model.
Works great, feeds anything I put in it,
and accuracy outstanding.!!!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
So what about a .40 cal barrel for an STI doublestack frame? Would it be better to have a ramped barrel or not?

I see a lot of IPSC shooters with this setup, and almost all of them have the ramped barrel, but I am thinking that as long as you have standard pressure ammo, the ramped barrel isn't required?

Am I right or wrong?

------------------
Byron Simpson

·
Registered
713 Posts
GrandmasterB,
...hhsmileys "STI Homegrown project"
is a .40 cal ...he is having Pistolwrench install some sites and serrate the rear of the slide before hardchroming...you can contact him at [email protected]
and/or read the posts under Gunsmithing Talk about 2 weeks ago
Barry

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I currently own a couple of ramped, and I have owned several in the past. I personally don't feel they are as reliable as non-ramped barrels. In my experience they seem to be more ammo sensitive.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The reasons for ramped barrels in 40s, as I understand it, are twofold. One is the fact that IPSC shooters started out loading 40 with Clays to a 175 power factor. It worked...sorta. Clays had a nasty little tendency to spike pressures, meaning while you were ok with 5.0grs, 5.1 was gonna give you a conversation piece out of your magazine and grips. Clays seems to be falling somewhat from favor, though many still use it.

The other reason, or so I've heard, is that ramps in 40s tend to help feeding. I wouldn't know, I've never owned a 40 without a ramp. However, because I personally still use heavier bullets and fast powders, I'll stick with the ramped barrels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts