1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages of a ramped barrel. Is the chamber better supported in either? Does one feed any better than the other?

For example a Kart Ramped vs Unramped barrel.

THanks

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Sixes and threes.

A correct unramped barrel will feed just fine, but a correct ramped barrel will feed better than an incorrect unramped barrel and a correct unramped barrel will feed better than an incorrect ramped barrel.

What caliber? Sometimes that makes a difference with respect to supported vs unsupported cartridge.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Ramped barrels

Ramped barrels usually offer better case support up to the extractor groove of the brass case. This ensures better case head support, so hot loads (+P+)can usually be used without the worry of case rupture.

Ramped barrels have a built in feed ramp, so caliber conversions are much easier for a frame that has a ramped cut of the same spec. The two most common ramped barrels utilize a Wilson/Nowlin ramp or Para Ordnace ramp style, which can not be interchanged. The bridge cut of the frame is different.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Well: A correctly done .45 barrel will feed anything. The main reason for the ramped barrels when they came out was pressure. The .38 super used in IPSC was blowing out case bottoms so they went to a fully supported "ramped" Barrel. I use the ramped barrel in my 9mm, 10mm and .40 builds. I have no idea what the shooter will choose for ammo and the fully supported barrel covers all the bases.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Ramped barrels with steep feed ramps

Ramped barrels typically have very steep feed ramps that don't feed well.
Hemicuda: The feed ramp angles of ramped barrels should be a specific angle for the specific caliber of choice. If you had problems with your barrel, it most likely was the way the ramped barrel was fitted. I fit my ramped barrels so when the barrel is unlocked and rests on the frame, the bottom of the ramp extends slightly into the mag area of the frame. I then trim back the very bottom of the ramp. Having the feed ramp as close as possible to the magazine prevents bullets from striking the ramp at too low of an angle once the round is pushed forward from the mag. The further the ramp is from the mag, the greater the chance that a bullet will nose dive into the ramp, especially with the first few rounds out of a magazine. I am sure Virgil fixed any issues, so I am glad to hear your gun works fine.

From my own personal experience, I have and use ramped barrels in 9mm, .38 super, .40 S&W and .45acp, and I have found them to be extremely reliable, and even more so with hollow points than standard non-ramped barrels. I have found JHP bullets to be more accurate in my competition guns, and prefer to use them. I have fired well over 50,000 rounds of .38 super 115 and 125 grain JHP bullets without a hitch. I have worn out two .38 super barrels, yet they always fed the rounds I used.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Rich,

that was a quote from Hilton Yam. All in all, I prefer non-ramped, as to me a ramped barrel for .45 ACP is a solution to a non existent problem. A properly set up non-ramped barrel will feed anything under the sun, just as if not more reliably than a ramped barrel will.

That said for high pressure rounds, ramped is the best choice for full case support.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
non-ramped barrel for .45acp

I totally agree that a ramped barrel is unnecessary for the .45acp cartridge. However, if you had a ramped barrel set up on a .45 frame, you could do caliber conversions by swapping barrels for higher pressure .45 rounds, or you could use the same frame with different top halves for different calibers.

I have an STI 2011 frame with the W/N ramp cut. I opened the breech of a .38 super slide to accomodate the .40 S&W cartridge. I now have a gun and slide that I can switch barrels from 9mm to .38 super to .40S&W. I fitted three different barrels to the STI, so I now have a very effective multi caliber gun. I do use a longer ejector when shooting 9mm, so I swap this out also when switching to the other calibers.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
FWIW, Bob at Fusion recommended that I go with a ramped barrel, even in .45ACP, for my lightweight CCO. The concern was JHPs ruining the alloy frame. I know plenty of people use original Colt Lightweight Commanders without ramped frames, but this made sense to me.

·
Registered
22,010 Posts
Note that Colt does not put integral ramp barrels in .38 Supers (or 9mms at similar chamber pressure.)

If you are overloading your .38 Super to the point that you need extra case wall support, then an integral ramp barrel will help, IF the ramp is steep and shallow. This may require that you stick to roundnose bullets at some specific OAL suited to the gun. If you want to shoot a duke's mixture of ammo, with SWCs, JHPs, and various OALs, you may have to open up that integral ramp to where it offers no more support than the Colt.

That is what I have had to do to two Springfield 9mms to get them to handle hollowpoints reliably.

A local IPSC shooter had two standard ramp .38 Super barrels. One had a small, narrow, shallow ramp and gave no trouble with light bullets at screaming high velocity. The other had been "throated" like a .45 and blew caseheads at anything over factory load levels.

·
Registered
579 Posts
In 45 ACP the reliability difference is minimal to nonexistant. I have one rampred 45 ACP all the others are non rmped. In 9mm and 40 S&W I believe the ramped barrels have a plus in feeding the JHP's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi! newb here. New to 1911's, not firearms in general. I just bought a new Taurus 1911 and so far I like it. Will it have a ramped or unramped barrel? It is .45 cal. I'm guessing from the above posts that it is unramped as it sounds like a ramped barrel is a custom feature. How do I tell by looking at it? Thanks for indulging. I read that the .22 conversions don't work with ramped barrels, hence the question.Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you very much! I want to say mine is ramped but I will doublecheck later. I looked at so many 1911's that they are all running together in my head!

·
Registered
192 Posts

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but Google sent me here and the topic was interesting. From the previous 16 posts it looks to me like there are no negatives to a ramped barrel. Is that true?

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
You are going to find debate on this as can be seen in this thread. Seems the most debate is in the .45acp as to reliability comparisons.

Then the debate switches to case support in .38 super. Hot rod home brew technicians seem to prefer ramped.

In 9mm and 40 cal, many believe the ramped barrel to offer an edge in reliability. I do have both calibers in non-ramped and they work. Some think the ramped barrels become more needed as barrel lengths get shorter.

Then you have the alloy frame vs steel frame issue of frame ramp damage with certain bullets or magazines with the alloy frame. Some find the ramped barrel a better choice for allow frames.

The best answer is it depends on the application and the viewpoint I think. Take Taurus for example. In their 1911, they used non-ramped in 45 and 38 and ramped in 9.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Non-Ramped for 45 Auto Single Stack (except aluminum frames)

I'm in full agreement with Rich Petrone.

Ramped is very reliable and recommended for 9mm, 38 Super and 40 in both single stack and high-capacity frames. And for 45 high-capacity as well.

All my high-cap builds are ramped regardless of caliber. This allows interchangeability.

However, for single stack 45 Auto, I prefer non-ramped unless the frame is aluminum.

As Rich pointed out, the feed ramp on the 45 ramped barrel is too steep compared to the 31* feed ramp angle on a non-ramped frame.

Therefore, you will have to:

1. Re-contour the feed ramp angle on a ramped barrel so it looses case support (which is not really needed on the 45)

2. Trim the feed ramp so it won't overhang the frame so it can feed hollowpoints with a fully loaded 8-round magazine. The top round of a fully loaded 8-round magazine tends to nosedive into the tiny feed ramp on the frame (what's left of it). This problem does not exist in the smaller calibers.

So, do not cut your single stack 45 steel frames for a ramped barrel, unless it's really damaged (Bubbadized). There is no real benefit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
very interesting thread here. learned alot about ramped barrels.

Thaks guys! some very great info here.
just found out why my ramped 45 will not feed hollowpoints. need to trimm the feedramp a bit so there is no overhang between the frame and beginning of the ramp.
230 hardball feeds perfectly but with hollowpoints it wont work at all...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts