1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,393 Posts
I didn't know Remington Rand invented the melt job! Looks more like "heavily refinished" than NIB. :rolleyes:

· Registered
321 Posts
Different Grips

Looks like it has different grips on the left and right--left no reinforcing rings, right has reinforcing rings. Also, SN looks too low--most of the DCM RRs I've seen are in the 2,000,000+ range. Ditto on the barrel--I've not seen an unfired RR without a fully blued barrel, and even with some wear the chamber area should show some blue.

· Administrator
80,883 Posts
Fortunately that one is so obvious nobody with any intelligence is gonna get taken. I could easily run off an entire list of what's wrong with it. But if somebody IS dumb enough to blow that much then IMO it's their fault for not trying to do at least a little research before they bought it. The whole reason why these crooks exist is because there's plenty of dum****s out there eager to become victims.

· Administrator
80,883 Posts
Yes, I saw that there are folks bidding on it anyway. They apparently want to learn the hard way, I guess. Betcha we'll be seeing a post on this forum from the proud new owner afterwards asking us if he got a good deal or not. :rolleyes:

· Registered
848 Posts
It ruins it for newbies like me

I would love to have a CORRECT war era .45, WWI, or WWII.Preferably USMC
I have the cash, but know I will get ripped. Therefore I cant see myself blindly making a purchase.
Could you guys make a recomendation on some available reference books?

· Registered
2,715 Posts
special-ed said:
I would love to have a CORRECT war era .45, WWI, or WWII.Preferably USMC
I have the cash, but know I will get ripped. Therefore I cant see myself blindly making a purchase.
Could you guys make a recomendation on some available reference books?
Clawsons book. It is available, [wife is getting it for me for Christmas] along with a CD [puter] Mr Karash [I don't know if I can post the PH number but he does post here some] has some available for sale and it is worth the money.

There are no USMC marked 1911s, any found are fake's or after the facts. Instead, look for the best one of the make you want and year. Be careful, there are some really good fakes out there along with the occasional steal. It's up to you to determine the difference. I might look like a dork with my info books out at times looking at something but it has saved me a lot of money for something that turned out to be worth 1/4 of the asking price.

· Registered
20 Posts
Several sites dedicated to the 1911 w/ reference guides available.
Some gun shows have collectors w/ tables. Most are willing to let
you examine the fit, finish. Take a small magnifying glass to inspect
markings and finish. Most will be happy to share their knowledge.

· Registered
848 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the resources. I will try to educate myself, Does Mr. Karash sell books, or pistols?
The one I saw that interested me was a US Navy marked 1911. I have seen them advertized with paperwork that shows they were delivered to various armories for USMC use during war time .
Something like that. I would probably buy a Army one if it was correct.

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Scott, That's not a nice thing to do...

Scott,
It is a bit cruel to mention an inside joke that most folks do not have a clue about. However, since I am involved in it up to my neck (literally) I will try and explain it as best that my memory recalls:

There is a certain Southern California dealer who has developed the reputation for just about any imaginable fakery, slight of hand, and dirty dealing. This dealer is often spotted at the big gun shows buying up well-used stock that will be transformed to 99% original condition when it drinks of the California fountain of youth after it finds its way back to Southern California. There may be other ways to spot this dealer who can transform old guns into new ones, but the most reliable way I found was to look for a guy wearing a Hawaiian shirt and when I found one, it was always the dealer.

A few years back I had been ranting about the antics of this dealer who I sometimes referred to as "The Guy in the Hawaiian Shirt" and at the same time I had been moaning about the lack of decent guns at gun shows. Apparently Johnny Peppers took pity on me and decided that I needed some help finding good guns. I was very surprised to find the postman deliver a very bright Hawaiian shirt to me. I was faced with a dilemma. I very much appreciated Johnny's thoughtfulness, and after some contemplation, it may have actually helped me to find lots of good guns. However right from the start, I saw that shirt as being second only to a bull’s-eye hung on my back to attract any of the California dealer's disgruntled customers who might want to do more than ask for their money back.

The shirt remains unworn, but I cannot help but think that it is indeed a good luck charm because I have met an awful lot of great people since then. Perhaps leaving it unworn is what makes it lucky.

Best Karl

· Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I forgot to mention...

I forgot to mention in the above post, I sell the Collectors Guide by Charles Clawson through the website www.coolgunsite.com The website and the ordering form can be reached by clicking on the sticky post above or by going to www.coolgunsite.com There you will find a banner to click on where you can request detailed instructions to be emailed to you. Please note that if you have an anti-spam filter on your email, you should remove it or if you are paranoid you can send me a letter at my place of business: Karl Karash, C/O PXIT INC. 420 Bedford Street, Suite 310, Lexington, MA 02420. Lexington and Massachusetts is where the Revolution started. Now all people think of when they hear Massachusetts is Chappaquiddick Bridge. However in summary, the Collectors guide by Clawson is $37.50 postpaid to the Continental USA and the CD is $20 postpaid when ordered with the collectors Guide Postpaid. If ordered alone it is $21. Ordering the book or CD through the www.coolgunsite.com website gives 10% of the selling price to help pay some of the website expenses. If you visit there, be sure to look through some of the pictures and data. Also be sure to visit the book gallery. The Standard Catalog of Military Firearms (Price Guide) by Krause Publications is available there, and while I edit the 1911/1911A1 section with the help of other contributors of this forum, I receive no compensation for the job. The website however makes a small profit from each sale. Best Karl

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.