1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there I recently found a couple of used Randall Arms pistols at a reasonable price. I have always heard they are extremely high quality guns any one on the board own one or have experience with one? Please help as I plan on buying one soon. Thanks so much . ... The Sharpshooter

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have a Randall A111 service model and am very pleased with the pistol,,,High quality and a good shooter...Only weak point might be the factory full length guide rod...Mine was bent so I replaced it and never looked back....

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Hi SS...
I have a Randall A311 (LeMay). Commander slide on an officer sized frame. A very accurate and very reliable shooter. Make sure that your gun is well lubed as galling was a problem with the type of stainless used on the frame and slides of the Randalls. I use Break Free CLP. How much do they want for the guns?
Regards,
Sam

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 11-13-2001).]

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Saw both a full-size and a LeMay (Commander-size) Randalls at the gun show last weekend. Both stainless, right-handed. NIB.

The full-size was $700, and I think the LeMay was too, but I didn't really pay as much attentino to it.

I handled the full-size, it seemed Really Nice for the money. Kind of an obscure, if not rare, piece.

I wasn't serious enough to work the action, etc, I was kind of in a rush. Anyway, I'm trying to find a left-handed one for my brother.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Actually the main thing Randall is known for is having solved the galling problem which had plagued stainless pistol makers to that point...

They did it by using steel of differing hardnesses in the slide and reciever and thus produced the first practical 100% stainless service pistol.....

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
I miss my two Randalls.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Originally posted by CJ:
Actually the main thing Randall is known for is having solved the galling problem which had plagued stainless pistol makers to that point...

They did it by using steel of differing hardnesses in the slide and reciever and thus produced the first practical 100% stainless service pistol.....
Well, they may have solved the galling problems, but, they didn't solve it on the Randalls that I've seen. Keep 'em well lubed, that's all I can say. Also, make sure that they're not "parts" guns assembled after Randall's demise.
Regards,
Sam

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 11-15-2001).]

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think I saw the two that ranger mentioned, at the gun show here yesterday, they were both priced at $700 and were in original boxes, nice pieces. I was more impressed when the seller told me about a guy that had a lefty for sale earlier that day! I had never heard of such a thing. Is Randall the only company that ever made a true lefty 1911?
Joe

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Joe, nope there were three companies that made true left hand 1911a1's. Randall was the first then Falcon Industries and then Safari Arms had one in their catalog but I don't know if they ever made one for sale.

They all used the same machinery and fixtures btw.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Yes Safari Arms did sell a lefty 1911.I had one of 3 of the 4 star model.The 4 star model was the Commander size.I sold it for a big loss.

------------------
Have fun & Shoot Straight

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Lefty Randall. The way they solved the Problem of galling was to make one part magnetic stainless and the other non magnetic to my understanding. They are a dream to shoot for a Left hander. The problem here in Australia is getting parts, other than that all is great.

They can sell for around $1300AU here in Aus. Problem is trying to find one that hasn't been attacked by a club shooter trying to turn it into a pin gun.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Hey spytech,

If it's at all possible, you should really try to post some pics of your lefty Randall.

I'd appreciate having a few in my 1911 pictures collection.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Two years ago I found a NIB Randall Gov't Model for $400 at a pawn shop. It shot accurately but the slide jammed going into battery after recoil and had to beat back with a brass wedge! Talk about tight! I e-mailed two of the top .45 pistolsmiths in the country and both replied "junk". So, I sold it. I liked it but they convinced me that Randall's were not a good gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts