1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Have the opportunity to purchase a Randall LeMay model for a good price.

1) I read the history page that everyone seems to reference. It says, "watch out for the parts guns assembled after the company shut down." How would I determine if this gun is a parts gun or not? The serial number seems to be in the first half of the run so that's encouraging. What is the last "real" Randall by S/N?

2) Are these guns actually collectible or merely a historical footnote gun like the AMTs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wellllllllll at this point I'm going to assume I'm not getting an answer on this one.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I've been roaming this forum for a while and have never heard of one. Of course there is a lot of stuff I have never heard of so that really doesn't mean anything.

That aside, it's a crap shoot. I'm pretty sure 80's pistols were pretty kooky to begin with. At least some pretty kooky ideas were going around and a lot of weird stuff turns up here time to time. But I recognize your screen name and quote so maybe an 80's pistol is for you Buckaroo.

Can you field strip it and post images?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I can tell, Randall was one of those companies that cropped up in the 1980s --- along with Detonics, AMT, etc --- to make the kind of 1911s Colt wasn't making.

No chance for a disassembly. The shop has it priced straight Blue Book but I see them go for more on Gunbroker and elsewhere. Yes, actual bids and sales. There are quite a few less collectible Randalls on there right now with no bids at all. So in this case I'm looking to get a neat, semi-collectible gun that's worth more than I paid for it and is a shooter. It's an Officer's model size gun...I might even carry it!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
What kind of money are we talking? It's only going to be worth what somebody will pay for it. Since we can't see any part of it then it won't be much. Like they say buy the gun not the story.

It looks like they were only in existence for two years and if the claim to fame is that you "modernized" a 1911a1 and that your friend is a General then it's little wonder they didn't survive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I appreciate your help I think we're explaining what I already know. I need help with identifying the post-Randall parts guns as these are far less valuable than the real McCoy. Don't let the post count fool ya...I'm an experienced gun owner/collector/shooter. No offense :)

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
1) No way to tell since we can't see it. A "parts gun" will likely be mismatched and/or poorly fit. Someone of your experience should be able to tell by looking at it

2) No

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
What kind of money are we talking? It's only going to be worth what somebody will pay for it. Since we can't see any part of it then it won't be much. Like they say buy the gun not the story.

It looks like they were only in existence for two years and if the claim to fame is that you "modernized" a 1911a1 and that your friend is a General then it's little wonder they didn't survive.
Not sure that quote is really true. I can show you examples of guns with a story that make them very valuable.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Some day these early innovative 1911 makers will get there due. I saw a Randall Lemay true left handed stainless 1911 once. Check to see if its a lefty and the guy doesn't know.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
There are a lot of guys that will buy a gun for the story. Actually there is one born every minute.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts