1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rec'd my Midway Flyer and noticed the Competition Range Bag on sale for $39.99.

I'm in the market for one to give for as a gift.

Does anyone have any experience with this bag ? (quality, durability, workability, ect)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Buy it quick. Like right now. People love these bags and Midway sells out in a day or two when they go on sale. Sadly, I have missed the boat a couple of times and ended up buying a different bag from Target Barn (essentially the same thing as the CED bag). The TG bag is a great bag, but at about twice the cost of the Midway unit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought this bag a couple weeks ago, and absolutely love it. Has a ton of room, without being excessively large. Form, fit, finish, and function are top notch. It's identical to the 5.11 bags that sell for $120+. There are other bags out there, same exact design but with a metal inner skeleton, that are supposed to hold up to 200 pounds or something... but I honestly don't plan on packing my porta-midget around to the range with me. ;)

Here's a thread with a lot of photos that I started over on a local gun site. Will give you a better idea of how it's set up...

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2806

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I was lucky enough to pick mine up for $29.95 The sale is now $39.95 but is still very worth the price. It is perfect size to carry pretty much everything you need for at least two pistols and muffs with room to spare. It is extremely well made and if you think you will ever wear it out, just buy two for this price!

H

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Bought one awhile back on sale. Great bag and a great buy!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Verbal Kint said:
I bought this bag a couple weeks ago, and absolutely love it. Has a ton of room, without being excessively large. Form, fit, finish, and function are top notch. It's identical to the 5.11 bags that sell for $120+. There are other bags out there, same exact design but with a metal inner skeleton, that are supposed to hold up to 200 pounds or something... but I honestly don't plan on packing my porta-midget around to the range with me. ;)

Here's a thread with a lot of photos that I started over on a local gun site. Will give you a better idea of how it's set up...

This bag is a cheap, knock-off of the Shooter's Connection bag.
http://www.shootersconnection.com/shootingbag.htm

If you just use the bag to store your accesories (+ a few boxes of ammo, 1 or 2 pistols), it may be OK. But I've seen these bags used by some USPSA competitors who shoot every weekend and they get "tore-up". The stitching from the shoulder strap starts to go, zippers get mis-aligned, plus the bottom gets beat up. If you don't mind replacing your bag every year, it's fine. You can do that with this bag - just by three of them and you'll equal the price of the higher priced bags. For me, I'd rather get something that'll last a bit more longer with less frustration. I'd also prefer a bag that's not black because any small part or tool seems to always gets hidden.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought one of these bags for myself and one for my father in law. They are of excellent quality, large enough to handle my pistols/ammo & accessories for a good day at the range. I would absolutely recommend this product to you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just received mine to replace my Galls range bag which I have had for several years.

So far it appears to be a great bag. Plenty of room and pockets, very durable quality, interior bag and 2 zippered pistol cases.

Not bad for the price!:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Just ordered one. I was going to use a bike messenger bag or backpack, but this sounds great since its actually got a spot for magazines etc. Anybody worry about looking too obviously like a shooter, or thought about covering up the "Midway" label?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I have one too, and love it. My only complaint is that I can put so much stuff in it that I can't lift it, or carry it. Then, I can't find what I'm looking for because of all the stuff in there. Great quality though. For those who whine about them wearing out, if you can afford to go shooting that much then buy the top quality bags. For the rest of us that only get to go on rare occasions, it's perfect.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Verbal Kint said:

That's cool that it came with a Kimber! :p

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I ordered one today as well. Sounds like they ship really quick too!

My problem is I don't have enough stuff to put in it. :D I've picked up a few things and I'm sure I'll add more.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Folks, this bag was only $29.99 just a few months ago. Apparently there was enough interest in it that Midway wants to make a much larger profit margin now.

As fatcat said above, it is nothing more than a knockoff of better made bags.

Don't get me wrong, it is a decent deal for the price and may survive fairly well under light duty use for a year or more. If you plan on hauling 2 guns, several hundred rounds of ammo, and other gear, I can just about guarantee that you will tear this bag up in fairly short order.

I really hate to say it, but this bag reminds me of all the knockoff ladies handbags at the flea markets. It looks good, but the substance just isn't there.

Wait, it actually kind of reminds of MIM parts. If you wouldn't put MIM parts in your pistol, don't put your pistol in this bag. :eek:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts