1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the last favorable weather day for the near future and I got the opportunity to evaluate some 1911's that many people want to own. A buddy was kind enough to let me feed my ammo stash through some of his favorites in exchange for the opportunity to shoot my STI Lawman 5.0 and I brought my Kimber Super Carry Pro which he owns as well. Of the guns pictured, I'll leave the Sig X Five out of the equation and the S&W because I spent the vast majority of the afternoon comparing the others because I'm interested in another full size blaster. Point of impact and POA, wasn't important to me as groupings simply because the pistols all had adjustable sights and are set to his preference not mine. The majority of testing was done at 8 and 15 yards with Winchester White Box because if they'll feed the flying ashtray they should feed everything else.

The STI Lawman 5.0 is one I picked up recently in a trade and I shoot it almost as well as the Wilson. However, it's my gun and I've spent some range time getting good with it. I've also added a Shok-buff which tamed the felt recoil and allows me to make the holes touch when I do my part. It is one of the most accurate 1911's that I've ever shot. Clearly the low budget gun of the bunch and it wasn't even on my short list. The sights are all black and fine for precise range work but they wouldn't be my choice on a combat or competition gun. The magwell has almost no beveling but I think it's a keeper.

The Springfield TRP with rail was kind of a letdown for me given I've always liked Springers and so many forums have mucho fans of the TRP. I think if I were to spend the day shooting it by itself I would have gotten a more favorable impression but compared to the others, I just could not produce the tight groups that the others allowed me to. It certainly is well built but there seems to be too much open space between the front blade and the rear sights for it to be as accurate in my hands. And on the subject of hands, wow talk about some aggressive checkering! I like texture on the grips but I would need gloves to shoot this badboy all day. Hickok45 made me want one but I think I can scratch this off my short list...for now.

Les Baer's Boss was a good shooter and I found the fiber optic front sight very user friendly. The slide to frame fit felt like it probably wouldn't have moved a few file stokes ago and the lines aren't as smooth and subtle as the others but with this kind of accuracy I can definitely see a Baer in my future. There was no shok-buff in this one and I could feel the recoil more than in any of the others.

Wilson's CQB with a rail has left me on a defcon 1 emotional high all day. Clearly the boys in Berryville are paying attention to every detail. Not only is it beautiful, it's a tack driver. It's also the softest shooter of the group even though it's lighter than the TRP. I was hoping that I would be less impressed, but as it stands I think I may have to sell a kidney and add a Wilson to my collection.

Hopefully somebody finds this post useful. Again, they are all fine shooters but having the opportunity to shoot them all in the same day has given me a chance to notice subtle differences.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great exercise. Did the same thing with my .45's. My Wilson CQB was just recently acquired. During the pre-Wilson period, my favorite was the STI Trojan with the Sigs and Kimber coming in 2nd. Post Wilson feelings were similar to the OP's conclusions. Expensive, but you know what your paying for. Tighter groupings from 25 yds onwards with excellent fit and finish. Same as the Ed Brown Special Forces. These two (Wilson & Brown) are keepers and must thin the rest of the herd (not the Trojan) or risk a divorce!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few years back I wasn't entirely sure if I would ever buy a true custom 1911 and someone let me shoot an Ed Brown Special Forces. That gun changed my life.

·
Registered
76 Posts
.......someone let me shoot an Ed Brown Special Forces. That gun changed my life.

And that's why Mr. Ed Brown and Mr. Bill Wilson have my purse!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness I still have little enough to give the better-half funds to buy her bags and shoes or else I'll be living alone. But then again?????????????????????????

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Trust me, I know what your talking about.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Ugh...Another post I can't get through because the pictures are too damn big.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts