1911Forum banner

Range "KNOW IT ALL" and Mil Spec Sights Revenge

5282 48
Earlier today at our range I had the distinct displeasure of running into a visiting "know it all" who started yacking about how 1911's were hang overs from the past (mine was laying out on the table) and how any of the guns with newer designs and newer materials were just far better in terms of reliability, shootability, accuracy, yada yada yack yack yack. he then went off on the difference between older and newer style sights and how older sights like those on my Mil Spec (which again was out on the table) were just as useless for "accuracy" as the sights on old style six guns and basically useless (in his mighty opinion) for anything other than what he called "point and pray" shooting, in other words this guy was just a real mouth and a doof. :barf:

Gentlemen, sorry to say but he just really pushed my buttons with all his nonsense yacking so I picked up the Mil Spec, handed him my spare ear and eye protection, and politely invited him into the range, where I thought about just accidentally shooting him :scratch: but then my cooler side prevailed.:cool:

I ran a target out to 7 yards and using my hopelessly outdated Mil Spec sights put five rounds slow fire into a hole with the rounds overlapping each other. I then ran the target out to 10 yards and still using those same old style sights put three five round mags rapid fire into an expanding hole, with the one flyer you see. I then ran the target out to 12 yards and put a final five round mag slow fire into a very slightly more expanded hole.

http://www.i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/mitrod3/MILSPEC2002.jpg

In the end I stayed nice and polite and did not go off on him but Mr. (your 1911 and it's sights suck) mouth had little to say when we came back out of the range which was fine with me and the folks I had originally been chatting with.

I don't know where these folks come from but this one really got to me which usually does not happen.

Be Safe, Shoot Well.:rock:
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,662 Posts
Nice shooting young man! That is always the best way to take care of an oversized mouth; politely of course.

· Banned
2,923 Posts
mitrod3

Yea the guy had a point! I mean look at that flyer. How can anybody tolerate such average throw a rock accuracy. I hope you don'tepend on THAT gun to save your bacon!

Man I admire your patience. THe old girls been around for awhile but she ain't about to turn over on a new H&K anytime soon.'

Great post and even better shooting. Regards from the north. (Raining and warm up here right now).

Stay Safe

Bob

· Banned
2,923 Posts
Do you have any idea how far further North I am to you? Man Santa hardly gets his sled in first gear. Well I spent 10 years in Peterborough, Ontario so I know all about those snow dumps you get.

Nice to be 100K from the Pacific ocean. Never mind we will get our share before spring. Regards and stay safe, best of the season from North of the 49th.

Bob

· Registered
735 Posts
Guy's like that I just laugh at cause they don't know a damn thing as to what they are talking about. It was nice to already be at the range so you could shut his trap without saying a word, your actions were speaking louder than words.

Great job.

CG.

· Registered
387 Posts
Nice shootin' Mitrod. I've had a similar experience myself.

I just so happened to take out my virtually stock Colt Mark IV Model 70 today. It's 30 years old with the tiny, "useless" military sights.

Here's a pic of my complete session with her. Offhand, indoor range. Not quite as impressive as your pic, but an average day for this "outdated" pistol with a 5# trigger. Please note the one-hole 5 shot group at 7 yards (I am proud of that!).

· Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
robertbank:

I am right smack mid state in Illinois and we have had some wonderful winters (like warmish and little snow) for years now, and then this year...whammo right off the bat. :mummy: The one kid still at home loves it but wife and I like the trend of recent years a bit more. :p

bluto:

nice shooting and nice gun you got there. very nice one hole group as you mentioned. :cool:

for whatever reason I have been able to shoot that Springer Mil Spec well from the day I first picked her up as a used gun in the range shop. after listening to Mr. Mouth I just figured I would let the shooting speak for me in responce to his yacking about old style sights. I actually expected a couple more flyers but I guess I was just on a mission at that point in time.:) People like that who "have all the answers" just sometimes get to me.

· Banned
1,659 Posts
I was at our club range a couple of weeks ago, mainly there to shoot skeet.

There was a guy on the pistol course that had two Glocks in .40. I asked him if he had ever tried the 1911 and he said that he had a Kimber that he could not shoot well and did not like the failures. He had XS sights on the smaller Glock and Trijicons on the larger one. He was hitting about 50% on the gongs at about 20 yards with both. I handed him my Rock River EC loaded with WWB hardball to try. He hit the gongs 8 out of 8. Then handed him my son's Mil-Spec that I have modded to make it work better for a left handed shooter. He also hit the gongs 8 out of 8. The RR EC has Novaks and the Mil-Spec the stock SA sights. I then tried both of the Glocks. The one with the Tirjicons I was able to get about 75% hits with and the smaller one only about 30% hits. The trigger was awful on both and the .40 recoil way to snappy for quick recovery. After he got done with both .45s, he was very quiet and asked if I knew someplace that would be good locally to shop for a 1911 if they took trades.:rock:

Deez.

· Registered
230 Posts
I was at the range a week back, with my SA GI, bone stock, and there was a man with a desert eagle and two Sigs there in the next lane. THis guy had so much gear with him I thought he was there to sell something.

He looked at my gun and said "oh, so that's one of those old 1911 huh?"

I looked at him, smiled politely, and proceeded to tear the hell out of the x ring at 15 yard. Him? all over the 8 ring and a lot of flyers, but he used one of those exploding target thingys so made it look like he was shooting well, but when we went and check the target during the cease fire he saw my target with the center shot out, he never said a word after that.

Then I proceeded to put the target at 50 yards and managed to put all my shots in the 7 ring, with my shaky hands and all. :biglaugh:

yep, good old 1911....

· Registered
238 Posts
The thing about range 'Know-It-All's", is that the agenda is to hear themselves talk.

While I don't doubt the -- "and then he saw the single hole, and shut up!" -- variety of Know-It-All's exist, a true specimen will use the cold range opportunity to talk twice as loudly, and not comment once on your target, much as you think he should.

· Registered
3,453 Posts
mitrod3 said:
Earlier today at our range I had the distinct displeasure of running into a visiting "know it all" who started yacking about how 1911's were hang overs from the past (mine was laying out on the table) and how any of the guns with newer designs and newer materials were just far better in terms of reliability, shootability, accuracy, yada yada yack yack yack. he then went off on the difference between older and newer style sights and how older sights like those on my Mil Spec (which again was out on the table) were just as useless for "accuracy" as the sights on old style six guns and basically useless (in his mighty opinion) for anything other than what he called "point and pray" shooting, in other words this guy was just a real mouth and a doof. :barf:

Gentlemen, sorry to say but he just really pushed my buttons with all his nonsense yacking so I picked up the Mil Spec, handed him my spare ear and eye protection, and politely invited him into the range, where I thought about just accidentally shooting him :scratch: but then my cooler side prevailed.:cool:

I ran a target out to 7 yards and using my hopelessly outdated Mil Spec sights put five rounds slow fire into a hole with the rounds overlapping each other. I then ran the target out to 10 yards and still using those same old style sights put three five round mags rapid fire into an expanding hole, with the one flyer you see. I then ran the target out to 12 yards and put a final five round mag slow fire into a very slightly more expanded hole.

http://www.i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/mitrod3/MILSPEC2002.jpg

In the end I stayed nice and polite and did not go off on him but Mr. (your 1911 and it's sights suck) mouth had little to say when we came back out of the range which was fine with me and the folks I had originally been chatting with.

I don't know where these folks come from but this one really got to me which usually does not happen.

Haha well done brother... :biglaugh: :rock:

· Registered
909 Posts
Most new guns are not a improvement of a .45

When you consider the total package, the ability to have a trigger pull of about a pound if you want it, cheap magazines, a abundance of parts, etc. When you look at any new "wonder gun" just really what do they offer? Most cannot beat the trigger pull, parts are rare, magazines cost through the roof, few if any improvements have truly come along.

· Registered
55 Posts
major caliber said:
When you consider the total package, the ability to have a trigger pull of about a pound if you want it, cheap magazines, a abundance of parts, etc. When you look at any new "wonder gun" just really what do they offer? Most cannot beat the trigger pull, parts are rare, magazines cost through the roof, few if any improvements have truly come along.

This is why I'm buying a 1911. My magazines cost me over 50.00 each.
Completely ridiculous!

· Banned
1,659 Posts
I should add that the front dot on the XS gun was so big that it completely covered the target. That was part of the reason that I could not hit well. I can see where the XS would be good for very close range in low light on a carry gun, but I will stick with my Novaks, thank you.

Deez.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.