1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Colt Ser 70, Colt M1911A1, Remington Rand M1911A1, Browning 1911-22, Springfield 1911 RO Compact
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this SA Range Officer Compact (9mm with 8 rd mag) for 15 months now, and it's reliability has been lacking. I get occasional failure to chamber, failure to fully extract (not a stovepipe, it doesn't clear the chamber all the way) and a few times where it chambers but the trigger falls?? But now I have had several failure to fire on a chambered cartridge. I have attached a pic of 8 cartridges from the other day. They all were chambered and the trigger pulled. None of them fired and I stopped using it.

I thought it might be a broken firing pin or maybe too much crud up in the firing pin channel, but when I took it down, the firing pin looks Ok and it had no crud in or or around the firing pin. Any Idea as to what's going on??

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
My first thought would be to get and install an extra-strength firing pin spring from Wolff (gunsprings.com).
If that solves the problem, it will be a simple fix.
You will get it sorted out. Good luck. All best wishes.

·
Registered
Colt Ser 70, Colt M1911A1, Remington Rand M1911A1, Browning 1911-22, Springfield 1911 RO Compact
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My first thought would be to get and install an extra-strength firing pin spring from Wolff (gunsprings.com).
If that solves the problem, it will be a simple fix.
You will get it sorted out. Good luck. All best wishes.
Why would a stiffer spring help? It would only make the firing pin more difficult for the hammer to drive into the primer. This pistol is only 15 months old and has less that 1,000 or so rounds fired. It should not need a new spring.

PS A stronger MAINspring might help though as noted below.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
You need to contact springfield about consistent light primer strikes... the combination of the Ti pin and strong spring are likely the culprits. On occasion they will replace with a steel pin and appropriate spring and that resolves the issue.

The extraction is probably just an extractor adjustment... you should send it in for both things to be addressed... they often will send a label to pick up the freight.

·
Registered
23,251 Posts
One of many flaws, you need a major warranty clerk intervention... or a real gunsmith.

I get occasional failure to chamber,

Probably the feed ramp is too steep. Too much worry about "case head support" like you were going to be shooting overloaded 9mm Major in USPSA Open with a hideout gun. At least that was the case with my Ultra Compact. FLG recontoured, not just "polished" the ramp.

failure to fully extract (not a stovepipe, it doesn't clear the chamber all the way)

Weak or poorly fit extractor. At least that was the case with my MixMaster A, a parts swap Loaded Target Lightweight. A Wilson extractor fixed it.

and a few times where it chambers but the trigger falls?? But now I have had several failure to fire on a chambered cartridge.

"Trigger falls?" I don't know what that means. Do you mean the HAMMER follows the slide down? That could be a bad hammer, sear, sear spring, disconnector, or combination.

And as said, if things are not just right with those titanium firing pins, misfires can ensue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Contact Springfield. I had the same problem with my EMP. I talk the guy on the phone to send me a steel firing pin and stronger main spring. My friend had the same problem with his range officer and they wanted him to send it in. He didnt want to send it in so I bought a Wilson extra power main spring and we tested it out yesterday. Problem solved, nice marks in the primer now. Thats about what your options are. If you get the right person on the phone and are polite they might send you the parts.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
That picture shows no primer strikes not lite strikes. I seen that recently with a Wilson that would fail to return to battery by just a miniscule amount, the trigger would pull, the hammer would fall but no bang and the primers weren't struck.
Is the slide well lubed?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That picture shows no primer strikes not lite strikes. I seen that recently with a Wilson that would fail to return to battery by just a miniscule amount, the trigger would pull, the hammer would fall but no bang and the primers weren't struck.
Is the slide well lubed?
I see at least three with dimpled primers, the rest don't really show in the photo, but I pulled the trigger on all 8 of these.

I keep it well lubricated. I thoroughly cleaned and re-oiled it again last night and will take it tomorow. The store has their own sniths and also provides an in store warranty on what they sell. We'll see...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
One of many flaws, you need a major warranty clerk intervention... or a real gunsmith.

I get occasional failure to chamber,

Probably the feed ramp is too steep. Too much worry about "case head support" like you were going to be shooting overloaded 9mm Major in USPSA Open with a hideout gun. At least that was the case with my Ultra Compact. FLG recontoured, not just "polished" the ramp.

failure to fully extract (not a stovepipe, it doesn't clear the chamber all the way)

Weak or poorly fit extractor. At least that was the case with my MixMaster A, a parts swap Loaded Target Lightweight. A Wilson extractor fixed it.

and a few times where it chambers but the trigger falls?? But now I have had several failure to fire on a chambered cartridge.

"Trigger falls?" I don't know what that means. Do you mean the HAMMER follows the slide down? That could be a bad hammer, sear, sear spring, disconnector, or combination.

And as said, if things are not just right with those titanium firing pins, misfires can ensue.
Failure to chamber - this is the least common of the problems. I'm going to re-start my "failures notes" on this weapon. I'll take some pics too if I remember.
Extraction - probably the most common The store said something about the extractor but that was last summer. I think they said it was too tight??
Hammer. I think it was the hammer following the slide. I don't remember it firing, just following the slide along. Again, I'll resume my failure notes. But why would it do this
Firing pin / mainspring hammer. This might be the cause. I'll find out more tomorrow.

I don't mess with these weapons. I just keep them clean, and adjust the sights (if possible) to best align with the way I sight the pistol.
With a military issue M1911A1, I might change out a trigger, etc with another Original Issue part, but no aftermarket parts. That said I did buy some replacement wolf firing pins and springs for my full size M1911A1s, but I haven't changed them yet.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need to contact springfield about consistent light primer strikes... the combination of the Ti pin and strong spring are likely the culprits. On occasion they will replace with a steel pin and appropriate spring and that resolves the issue.

The extraction is probably just an extractor adjustment... you should send it in for both things to be addressed... they often will send a label to pick up the freight.
I'll contact Springfield if I can't get it corrected by the original selling store.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Don’t bother with the retailer! Call & talk to Springfield, explain (nicely) to them what you have & they will likely send you a postage paid shipping label to send it back to address the issues. Have your list of issues while you’re explaining the problems (nicely) ,,, include a copy of that list with the Gun when you send it back.

I just went through a lot of the same light primer strike problems with both my 9mm EMP4 & my SS 9mm Range Officer and asked SA to just send me a new (steel) firing pin to replace the Titanium factory installed piece’s along with new hammer/main springs.

They did initially send me a new 23lb main spring for the EMP4 but firing pins were a no go because SA considers them a safety deal and wanted me to send the gun(s) in for analysis and repairs.

Ultimately this was all mitigated by me using CCI #41 small rifle primers (shortages) in my reloads that are intended for use in 5.56 cartridges and are much harder than most.

So anyway I fitted steel steel f-pins myself along with 25lb mainsprings which helped with the light strikes but caused issues with slowing the slide down and not always ejecting the fired rounds. Anyways I now have 23lb mainsprings and steel f-pins and they run much better but the #41 cci primers still cause problems so I just avoid them, I’ll use what I have in my Ruger PC9 Or Just use my 9mm 5” Ed Brown executive that has zero issues no matter what I feed it.

Funny because the Brown runs a 19lb mainspring and steel firing pin, it just runs ! But nobodies been able to tell me why the EB Executive just works Vs the same gun SA 9mm R-Officer. Did I mention that I-think the EB 9mm Executive is just a fantastic piece ?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The retailer is a large outfit with what I believe to be competent people and their own 36 lane range.
As noted above, I had just done a thorough clean of the entire slide. I went there last week, showed them the rounds. He took all 8 (mag capacity), put them in my 1911 and they all fired without any incident. He mentioned possible ammunition ammunition quality issues with newer lots. Maybe. There were a mix of Geco JHP and S&B ball. Probably not the best around. But there shouldn't be unreliable primers.

So I took it and went to the range to test. I had 4 different brands / types of ammo; 8 of Win 147gr JHP from several years gso, about 30 Norma / Ruag 115gr ball, about 30 S&B ball, and about 40 Geco 124gr JHP, all from a year or 2 ago.

The old win 147gr JHP was fine. The others not so much. 3 or 4 Failures to extract on the all of them (except the Win JHP). Several failure to chamber with the Norma (but with Mecgar mags, not SA factory mags) and a few times when I had to pull the trigger twice to fire on the S&B, Geco and a few Norma. Further, three S&B cartridges, failed to fire with two trigger pulls. I have a pic of these. I'll be contacting SA about these issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You say you thuroughly cleaned the slide , so I would assume that meant you removed the FPS and cleaned & lightly lubed the firing pin channel, spring and firing pin. And hopefully you didn’t use a heavy gun grease in the channel or on the components.
The next step would be to be sure your pistol is cleared, tightly wrap a heavy rubber band around the grip safety, remove your MSH then clean out the channel and all components, inspect for damage, lightly lube & reassemble and reinstall. Then do a range test with the same ammo assortment.
Then, if you get the same results contact SA or try substituting a stronger mainspring.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I cleaned the firing pin and spring, and removed and cleaned the extractor as well. The pistol launches an eraser tipped pencil into the air with every trigger pull, so I haven't taken the MS housing off yet.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
i think i can see how this ends. you won't sent it in, you won't be happy, sell the pistol because it's unreliable, and never buy another sa. "if you do the same thing the same way you will get the same result". in any case, you have some other 1911's and will probably keep enjoying them.

Reactions: L-2

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It wasn't this bad initially. Yes it stovepiped a few casings and failed to extract some, but it never misfired before. Its a weekend, but I will call SA this week. I removed the recoil parts and barrel and slid the slide along the frame rails - no resistance until the raised part in the top of the frame goes past the hollowled put part of the slide , so it shouldn't be a slide / frame fit problem with the slide off, the hammer pull back smoothly and move forward sharply the hammer isn;t being held up.

You're correct in that I'm NOT happy with this pistol. I have three WW2 M1911A1s, a Colt Series 70 (that I bought new a while ago), and a Browning 1911-22 and none of them do this. I also have an M9, that has not malfunctioned to my recollection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts