1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At one of the LGS' today, and ran across a full size RO in 9mm. It ran perfectly out of the box; 150 rounds of all types, and three different brands of mags. Shoots to point of aim. The only coming changes will be a Dawson Engineering FO front sight. Even in bright light the front is a bit difficult to pick up. I have a similar on my .45ACP RO, and it works perfectly.

Well put together, slide is tight, and the finish is very nice.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I have one with 300-400 rounds, flawless.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm a couple thousand rounds through mine. I did have a problem when I first got it. Sent back to SA for a little tender loving care, while there, a quick trip to SACS for a front FO, and it has ran perfectly ever since.

·
Registered
248 Posts
38 super RO

Had some minor issues (light primer strikes) when mine was new. SA fixed me up. I added a Dawson FO front site all all was well. Then the 38 super bug bit me, I had Evolution Armory do a 38 super barrel conversion for me as well as flush cut and reverse crown both barrels and wow it's just awesome now!

·
Registered
413 Posts
At one of the LGS' today, and ran across a full size RO in 9mm. It ran perfectly out of the box; 150 rounds of all types, and three different brands of mags. Shoots to point of aim. The only coming changes will be a Dawson Engineering FO front sight. Even in bright light the front is a bit difficult to pick up. I have a similar on my .45ACP RO, and it works perfectly.

Well put together, slide is tight, and the finish is very nice.

Have you tried shooting groups at bench rest?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you tried shooting groups at bench rest?
That will come this weekend. Yesterday was strictly functioning and getting the "feel" of the gun.

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
3,967 Posts
You are going to be very happy with it.

Great piece.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Had some minor issues (light primer strikes) when mine was new. SA fixed me up. I added a Dawson FO front site all all was well. Then the 38 super bug bit me, I had Evolution Armory do a 38 super barrel conversion for me as well as flush cut and reverse crown both barrels and wow it's just awesome now!
Did they replace the firing pin with a steel one? Had light strikes on my RO Compact 9mm and that was the fix.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My RO 9mm was flawless for 700 rounds, I have since then changed the front sight to a Dawson Fiber Optic, added some cheap MagPul grips, S&A magwell with 70 Series guts with 19lb spring, Colt sear spring, I did a relief cut on the factory sear, Ed Brown firing pin with new spring, Wilson Guide Rod for Glock Springs, 13lb Glock flat wire recoil spring, my trigger is 2.5 pounds now, the pistol is way more accurate than me, I got 5 Wilson 10 rounders for 100 bucks NIB and they have been perfect. My future plans are new hammer sear disconnector, and have a old school Smith work everything over and watch/learn, and a tighter bushing. BE light Slide Glide has proven to be everything I need for lube.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My 5" 9mm RO was bought in Feb. this year. I had group issues at 50 ft. with it and sent it back to SA where they refit the slide to the frame, put in a new barrel and new rear sight. Problem solved at no cost. They are great to deal with. I also bent the disconnector and sear spring legs to get a 44 to 48 oz. trigger pull.
I added an EGW angle-bore thick-flange bushing and a Burris Fastfire 3, 3MOA red dot sight and cut my group sizes in half on a benchrest. Now doing as low as 5/8 inch (on good days) at 25 yds. and occasionally 7 out of 10 shots within 1 1/2" at 50 yds. Although at 75 I'll never win any matches, it's a fun gun to shoot and now working on offhand bullseye shooting, not to mention having loads of fun reloading. Over 1200 rounds so far without a malfunction except 3 lockbacks with ammo in the magazine spread over the last 250 rounds. Next time I'll mark the mag it happens on and keep an eye on it. I checked the slide stop pin plunger and it does not appear to be the problem.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What a Revolting Development

On Friday, I took my RO to a trusted, and I do mean trusted friend, who had done exactly the same type of work for me in the past. I had ordered a Dawson Engineering FO for the RO, and took the slide and new sight to his workshop for installation.

He called me late Friday and told me he was having trouble removing the original front sight. He ask me if it could be sacrificed. I replied that it could. He had already driven out the retaining pin.

He called me again Saturday afternoon, and told me he'd had difficulties, but the pistol was ready. I had no idea of the problems.

When I arrived, I was in for an awful shock. In removing the original sight, he had to use a hacksaw to cut it so it could be tapped out. However, he had also gouged the left side of the slide with the saw. The gash must be at least 1/32" deep. He had tried to "smooth over" the install with some flat black touch-up.

Needless to say, it was a real "Bubba" job. He told me that he would pay for any and all repair costs from Springfield, including shipping both ways. I called Springfield this morning, and the customer service folks arranged for FEDEX to email a shipping label, and I've packed the pistol so FEDEX can pick up today.

I've dealt with this fellow for years, and every job was the most professional one could ask. He's installed new grip safeties, hammers, trigger jobs, etc., and done stellar work. I noticed that he had some trembling in his hands, so it could be the onset of Parkinson's. I mentioned it, and he was a bit evasive. I've made up my mind to find a different 'smith for any further work.

I'll post again on this when Springfield finishes.

PS - I forgot to take a pic; otherwise I'd show you the butchery.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts