1911Forum banner

Range officer pic and talk thread.

567K views 1K replies 469 participants last post by  2aCrisis 
#1 ·
I see we have several models on here with them being stickys.
What say ye?

Post up yall!

See less See more
#6 ·
Same here. I'm getting into IDPA, and USPSA Single Stack. I bought mine as a cheaper alternative to mondo expensive race guns. I did my research, and the RO met all the criteria, and it had a super reputation as an all around solid performer.

Thus far, my only changes have been VZ Operator II grips, and a Brown MSH/mag well. I run Wilson 47D mags, and it has been 100% reliable right out of the box!

Highly recommended to anyone looking for a competition ready 1911 at a great price!

Smitty

#7 ·
I really like the VZ grips... probably order after Santa gets squared away. My plan is to run her as is for a bit and go from there. That way I will be able to know if the additions are better or worse for me. If that makes sense?
I am definitely doing something with the front site. Probably just a light touch of orange for now.
Question... why are you guys running different mags? What makes them better?

#8 ·
I run the Wilson's purely from a reliability standpoint. Anyone that has been around 1911's long enough will tell you that not all mags are created equal. Nor are the guns. Some guns work great with whatever you put into them, and some, not so much.

I currently have 3 1911's, and all 3 work great with the Wilson 47D's. I haven't needed to try anything different in my RO, since that's what worked for mine right out of the box. I had a Kimber a few years ago that actually worked best with Colt, and McCormick mags, and hated the Wilson's. Go figure.

Since I have relied on my equipment to keep me alive, and to compete with, reliability is the name of the game for me.

YMMV

Smitty

#10 ·
I bought/use mine for bullseye (one handed @50ft & 25yds).

I've showed this pic in the past but I'm extremely prowd of what my ro can do.

I bought the ro because everyone kept recomending it on the different website for it's accuracy. It took me a whole 15 minutes to make/test that target load & that's what I've been shooting ever since.

A very popular target load for bullseye shooters is a h&g #68 bullet and (3.6g to 4.0g) of bullseye powder. If you have a "nm 1911 & it can't/won't shoot that load somethings wrong, countless 1'000'000's of them have been shot by bullseye shooters for decades.

My springfield ro eats them like candy.

#15 ·
New RO

I just got my RO and love it.

Have a loaded in 9mm and the RO is better.

just painted the sights on both- green/gold.
The stock blk on blk on blk bull is a pain for my eyes.

Ordered a second Hogue grip set- tired one on my 9mm and the gun felt molded to my hand.

Been shooting steel and it is awesome!!

Ordered 10 rounder mags- should be great on teh dueling tree with my shaky hands!!

#16 ·
So, educate me. What makes the ROs accuracy so much better than other Springfields?

Are they fit tighter, different barrel, etc?

Also, if anyone owns both how does the accuracy compare to a Les Baer?

And lastly what is the going rate for a nib RO?

#17 · (Edited)
The RO is fit pretty tight, it has a match barrel and is far more accurate than I can shoot it. Not to sure how it compares to a Les Baer but it shoots just as good or close to my dads TRP. As far as price goes they vary. I've seen them as low as $750 lately but when I bought mine it was over $800. Some places are still selling them for $900. Just have to look around.

#30 ·
Thanks for making this thread a "sticky!"

In January of this year, one of the guys at our Bullseye Matches allowed me to "try" his RO. He had purchased it used, shot it, liked it, but needed some money (he has several other hand guns).

I shot a few rounds and asked if I could shoot the RO in that day's Bullseye Match. He agreed. I shot the highest score I've ever shot! (put me into a higher classification!)

By my shooting log, I now have 2,637 rounds through that RO. Love the gun.:D

It feeds RCBS 45-201-SWC bullets made from wheel-weight lead perfectly and I've never had a jam or stovepipe.

It will hold "X-Ring" size groups from sandbags at 25 yards with my home-made target loads.

WOW! Springfield has a great product!