1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the NRM 1991A1 Commander. Milsurp ball ammo fed fine, Winchester JHP's misfed a few times. Do the NRM Commanders have polished feed ramps? Trigger pull with the short trigger was NICE. Shooting was high, low and pulled to the right which I blame on my shooting skills with the .45. I think my weak hand grip was too high and I put too much pressure on my strong hand thumb.

Other than that, it was a nice day at the range yesterday! Haven't been out shooting in about a year.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I don't know about the Commanders....But my NRM Gov't Model has performed superbly with the Winchester 230gr JHP's. The first time I shot it, I ran 115rounds of this load thru it. I wanted to know if it fed hollowpoints right away.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The only hollowpoints I shot extensively out of my 01991 were 230gr Golden Sabers, which supposedly have a super-feed-friendly shape. The new 01991 guns have what they call a "dimple" feed ramp, which gets mistaken for the old GI style narrow ramp by some folks. It actually works really well with most ammo compared to a conventional 1911 barrel throat.

Another 1911-friendly hollowpoint I tried was the Winchester Supreme SXT 230gr... it has a very rounded, ball-like shape too.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Rrotz,

Although the new Colts seldom need "break-in"- their major tolerances are designed to be ready to go - , all machines work slightly better when the parts get "mated" with use. Your feeding problem may be self correcting, but I like to clear things up quickly on defensive equipment. With your Commander, I would check a couple of things:

1.) Extractor tension. Does the gun retain a hardball round on the breechface of the slide (slide assy only) when rotated to all different angles? Any burrs on the bottom of the hook? I believe you can find plenty of info on extractor fit on the Forum should there be any doubt. NRM guns for the last year or so have excellent Barstock extractors - but yours could be out of adjustment or have a burr. No need to replace it - there is little out there that is as good, metallurgy wise - but check it and polish/adjust as necessary.

2.) Colt factory mags are generally ok, but try the gun with Chip McCormich's new Powermags or Wilson's excellent mags. Some guns are finicky about magazines, and although the factory mags generally work, they are not "optimum" magazines. I suspect there are differences in mag catches, height of the cut in the magazine, the catch itself, etc, if the truth be known that may make one gun slightly different than the next as to what magazine or ammo it "prefers".

3.) I recommend a full cleaning with a slight "over-lube" before firing any new handgun. Frequently there will be dust, left over residue from machining and test firing, etc. Make sure the gun gets a fresh start!

If none of this gets you where you want to be, Colt will take care of you. A little over a year ago we had a customer with a new SS commander that would feed every defense type hollowpoint on the planet - except the one the customer preferred! We sent the gun back to Colt and it came back feeding everything to include empties, and they gave the gun a nice trigger job to boot. The only thing visible was a higher level of polish on all the parts - ramp, extractor. The gun is now one of this owners favorites, and he owns one or two of every quality 1911 built.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements" - Samuel Colt, from a mid-1850's Colt Newspaper Ad. More True Today than 150 Years Ago!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Col. Colt's recommendation is spot on. The extractor is the heart of the 1911, and affects feeding/chambering, extracting and ejecting. A poorly adjusted extractor will wreak havoc on 1911 function, though the system is fairly tolerant.

The CMC PowerMags have well designed, strong bodies and the newer variants have excellent springs.

Try checking the extractor first to see if that is the problem. Then the magazines. Control the variables so you know what the issue is.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts