1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pre-work shooting session with my Pro CDP revealed a couple things.
1)This gun has the potential to be very accurate
IF
the trigger smoothes out after a couple hundred rounds. It felt like I was pulling a different trigger each time. From what I've seen on the forum, it's not unusual although it should be for a $1k pistol.
Now I realize it may be my fault. I have an especially high grip and may be pushing up on the right safety with the shooting hand (however my thumb rests on the left safety) or riding the beaver tail too high to adequately disengage the grip safety. I guess another couple hundred will tell the tale. Kimber suggests feeding it some more. I hope it works as this is a well made pistol, and I had no FTF during the session.
But who knows, by that time, if I have to send it back, the Mepros might be shot too<G>.
I'm beginning to wonder if I should have spent the extra $100 for a GSP1000 from Gunsite...e
Eric

·
Registered
986 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion, but I happen to agree with many on the subject of high end Kimbers.

I feel Kimber makes a very good gun. I own a Pro Carry and it will feed anything I choose to put in it. It's accurate. Handles nice. Had extraction problems, but Kimber took care of that. However, if I were to spend near $1000.00 or so on a gun, then I would prefer having one customized or going with Wilson, Baer, ect. Again, that's only my opinion. It's not to say Kimber can't or does not put out a good high end gun. I don't feel they have the best nitch in that market. Can't beat their lower end guns, though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quite true, and like I said it may be me "getting to know" tha gun. Of course right now I feel like my Griffon has a better trigger<G>...e

·
Registered
37 Posts
ebachman, I think you are describing a slight amount of trigger creep or possibly a dragging of the trigger yoke in its channel. If you are at all adept at tearing down your pistol, you could probably fix this fairly quickly. Or pay a gunsmith a small amount to clean it up for you.

I think it is a black eye for Kimber to let any gun out the door with abismal triggers, but particularly on their top-of-the-line guns. However, the CDP series gives you a *lot* of value for the $300 or so you pay over the price of the base Kimber models. Most of them won't require trigger work out of the box. Mine did and it sounds like yours might as well.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I sent my Compact CDP back to Kimber last week for hollowpoint FTF troubleshooting and while it was there asked for their $49 trigger job to address a slightly creepy trigger.

The pistol arrived back on Monday (QUICK turnaround!) and the trigger pull is VERY nice.

Unfortunately they didn't do much to address the FTF problem -- just adjusted the extractor, which wasn't even involved in the feed problem (round never got up that high).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't looked into disassembling this one yet. Although I've built several AR15 variations from parts so it shouldn't be a reach. I practice draw/dry fire consistantly in the evenings and after feeding it another 500 rounds I'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice...e

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems I've identified it as user error. I ride the grip safety too high which only partially disengages it. The cure: practice, practice, practice with tactical reloads interspersed...e

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another range session yesterday implied that the grip was the issue. I adapted my grip to psitively engage the grip safety and the trigger was smooth as silk and broke cleanly. After 200 rounds it felt second nature.
It must have been the winter carry gun (Sig220)that made me lazy. Thanks for all your input...e

1 - 8 of 8 Posts