1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the range where I put 200 rds thru my new HP MkIII. The anti hammer bite mod I did worked out very well. No bites and the smooth hammer kept that from cutting me even though it did make contact with my hand. The point at the very corner of the grip tang did however cause a small blister by the time I was done, as it was very sharp.

Accuracy was good although that was not really the point of this trip. Mainly I wanted to check for reliability and to see if I'd get bit. The gun shot about 2-3 inches left of POA at approx 15 yds, but I'm replacing the sights with adjustables later so that's no biggie.

There were no FTFs or other jams as such. About 10 times the slide locked back on a non-empty magazine though. I'm pretty sure this had something to do with the placement of my non firing hand. I use a very high grip, and I think I was hitting the slide stop.

All together I'm quite pleased with the new gun. I think I fall into the group of folks who actually NEED a beavertail on a 1911 and BHP and will probably have this done later as well.

[This message has been edited by hhsmiley (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello and thanks for an informative report on your HP stressing the need for the beavertail in your case. In such instances where I found the tang biting me, I rounded it and refinished, but if your hands are really big, you may not find complete relief in that. Let us know what you decide.

I strongly suspect that your off hand was hitting the slide lock as you opine. The slide releases on BHPs have downward spring tension on them and the only time I've seen the slide lock open prematurely on a HP has been when the spring guide was put in upside down, but it was a moot point as the guide promptly broke or when someone did let the slide release lever bump their off hand.

Best.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
hhsmiley, try this. When you take the pistol off safe use the thumb of your left hand. Why? I am convinced that using the thumb of your shooting hand (right) makes you raise your hand on the grip frame and this brings the web of your hand into striking distance of the hammer. I have done this for a long time and guess what? You are right! I don't get a hammer bite. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On further review, I have determined that neither the hammer nor the grip tang caused my blister.

When I really matched up the blister to the point on the gun that was causing it, I was surprised to find that it was the round bump in the middle of the left safety that was rubbing a raw spot.

I have never really heard of such a thing, but that's what did it. I've just ordered a C&S ambi-safety. It sets lower/more flush to the frame and doesn't have a knobby sticking out like the factory one.

1911 safeties are actually pretty flat while the BHP ones are a little taller and blockier. When I put my high hold 1911 grip on the BHP, that sucker got me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts