1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a 9mm fan, but the cheap prices of 9mm ammo pusuaded me to put in my request for a Kimber 9mm Christmas present. Santa was a righteous dude this year, and delivered a shiney new Kimber to me along with a variety of ammo.

I wish I owned a digital camera, in order to make this range report complete, but two things have become clear to me. First, I do not own one, and second, you have probably seen a Kimber 9mm anyway. If you haven't, just imagine a SS Custom Target II with a smaller bore.

Fit and Finish:
This representative from Kimber is every bit as handsome as any of my Pre Series II's. The slide to frame meet, and the detail work is as good as I have seen on any Kimber, no complaints here.

Sights:
Typical Kimber target type. I shoot 6 O'Clock, and found the original settings to be quiet low. A quick adjustment walked the shots into the bull and "X" area. The sights are as nice as my Kimber Custom Target .45.

Trigger:
The trigger was just a little gritty, but I have come to expect this from a 1911 of about this price range. I have adjusted other triggers of my 1911's by simply continually dry-firing. I can do the same here. I will also replace the trigger with a short adustable type, my preference.

Accuracy and shootability:
Superb. I have owned a BHP, CZ 75 SA B, and finally this 1911. The accuracy of the 1911 Kimber is as good as the others, but really no better, where it shines is its shootability. The gun is a pleasure to shoot. There is virtually no recoil, and to have a 9mm that shoots like a 1911 is a hoot. It is possibly the most fun gun that I currently own. It was very easy to keep all of the rounds in the 9 and ten of a 50' B-27. It shoots as well as my Kimber Custom Target in .45 ACP with the same type ammo.

Reliability:
I shot a variety of 9mm in the target class. I shot 300 rounds of a mixture of WW White Box, WW 115 FMJ, and WW 115 Target (Semi Wad Cutter Type with a flat nose). A fellow shooter next to me was impressed by the Kimber, and asked to shoot it. He fed it a diet of mixed-matched reloads of various bullets and powder charges. I tried to get it to malfunction, but could not. I even shot it weak-hand, single hand. The most I could get it to do was at one time, the last hull of one string, did not fully eject. This again was shooting weak, single-handed. I also experienced no Series II malfunctions.

I shot with the only 9mm magizine that I had...the original. It funchtioned perfectly. I finally decided to take it too the plates. I assumed that if I could get it hot enough, and dirty enough that it would eventually jam. Wrong. It just kept firing.

Overall, I have to give this one a strong recommendation. It is a little pricey, but to me it was worth it. With the deal on Wally World 9mm ammo, this Kimber has become a welcomed addition to my stable of Kimbers.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
ehhhYEP!

Yours sounds just as good as mine! :D

I bought the 9mm and 10mm Stainless Target II at the same time, and they were such good pistols that I picked up the .38 Super and .45ACP versions to complete the set.

None have disappointed me. Good solid pistols, and quite typical of Kimber's excellent fit and finish.

I like the long triggers, so the only mods mine have seen are wood grips and the removal of the series II firing pin safety plunger, spring and push rod. (I just detest FPSs on 1911s, including Colt's Series 80)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ditto on the results.
I brought one for my 13 yr old niece to compete in IDPA.
Added Dawson Fiber optic front sight, Aluma grips , 10 metalform mags and since it is a BD present for Feb, I get to break it in!
Only problem is I really like this pistol. It is a hoot to shoot. Fast, controllable and now I want one too. I wonder if she will settle for some CD's instead?Hummmm....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just took my new Kimber 9mm to the range and shot 250 round of Win Value pack and CCI with not one failure. I have seen write up on this forum about problems with "factory" ammo and the slide not locking back. I did not encounter these- so far. The gun seems to be fairly accurate but I am not the best judge for that. The only thing that I would have liked is to have some white dots on the sights. Any suggestion other than changing them out?? The CCI seems to be the best value in 9mm, it only cost $3.99 for 50 at Acadamy Sports. That is the main reason I purchased a 9mm 1911 because of the relative low price of the ammo. Thank.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back to the range - 3rd trip

Well, I just went back to the range and fired another batch of 9's through my new toy. It shoots great. I am up to about 800 rounds through the Kimber 9. I didn't take the time to clean it after the last 250 rounds. But, I did add a little lube to the rails. She just keeps on shooting.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here my experience: Bought mine 2 days after Christmas and took it to the range on New Years Eve for the first time.
During the first box of ammo (UMC 115g FMJ) the slide didn't stay open. Happened 3 times. After that I didn't have a single problem in 300 rounds. Shot a mixture of UMC FMJ 115g, Winchester White Box FMJ 115g, Speer HPs 124g, Geco 124g. All fed and ejected well. The gun was super accurate -> 1 hole groups at 15 yards easily possible (benched). Couldn't try 25 yards, because the range was packed and I had to share my table and target with 2 buddies, who freaked out when I told them I would like to take the target further out - heh :p .

Anyhow. I love that gun!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just came back from the indoor range where I shoot. I took my new toy. I have become adicted to the new 9. I still haven't cleaned this pistol since the first 300 rounds. This time, I didn't even relube it. I put 200 round through it today, and I had two FTE. Each on the last round of a magizine. I may tweak the extractor.
I shot nothing but plates with it today. It was a hoot. I have about 1000 rounds through it now. I guess it is time to clean her, and send her to my local gunsmith. I'm having a new front sight, and trigger installed.

Dobe

·
Registered
55 Posts
Put through 300 rounds of CCI and WWB with not one problem. I did a lot of double taps to see how she handles and she handled well. Just ordered the Metalform Spring field mag based on the rave reviews. There was an article in one of the gun magazine on the Kimber 9mm. The author basically said that the gun is a keeper. Like many on this topic, I am very happy with the Kimber 9mm and can't wait to go back to the range next week.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Cruz, it is very easy to put dots on your sights. I would not put any on the rear. The only sight that needs a dot is the front. This can be done one of two ways. Prefered method is with a drill press. Clamp the slide in a vise at an angle that puts the front sight 90 degrees to the bit. Use a pointed Dremel carbide burr to make a shallow hole in the face of the front sight. Fill the hole with white enamel paint.
It can be done with a hand held Dremel, but is pretty hard to do right.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Mine doesn't strike the primer's center either. It's off high and right by about the diameter of the firing pin. I've had no misfires or other functioning problems with any of the 5 types of ammo I've tried ( Win whi box "ValuPak" 115 ball, Win 124 NATO, Rem 115 jhp +P, Win 115 +P+ jhp, Win 127 +P+ jhp ).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have an Springfield Armory XD9 Tactical (5") which is very similar to a 1911 in terms of grip angle, size and grip safety.

Price- XD $420, Kimber >$800
Looks- XD all black and plastic, Kimber all glimming SS
Trigger- Kimber is great, XD is OK
Field strip- XD less than 10 seconds
Accuracy- hard to say because I am not that good, I will assume Kimber should be better
Ergonomics- about the same but I like the XD slide release postion better which is directly on top of my thumb. Also the XD is much lighter due to the plastics.
reliability- XD is 100% with 000's of rounds, the XD slide cannot be moved back if the grip safety is not engaged. So far my Kimber is 100% with 00's of rounds but only time will tell. XD hits the primer dead center, my Kimber does not.
safety features- about the same, XD has a loaded chamber indicator
Collectability- Kimber only made 500 or so and first one for Kimber. That is one of the main reason I purchased the Kimber vs. other 1911 9mm. XD is a mass production gun.
Conclusion- Corvette vs. Porsche Turbo. Both pistols are fun to shoot and perform about the same for me. Is the Kimber worth twice as much as the XD?? What do you think??

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The question is, "do you prefer the 1911 platform?". I do. I prefer it to the BHP, CZ 75 and others. I have had or still do have the forementioned. To me, I have the 9mm primarily for a range gun, but would not hesitate using it for defense if necessary. I personally am not found of double stacks, and I appreciate the ergonomics and trigger of the 1911 platform.

Dobe

·
Registered
17 Posts
rocky start -great finish

After several calls to Kimber, some advice from this forum, a new slide stop and modiflying the exrtractor, mine runs like a champ. About 350 rounds assorted stuff since clearing up problems. I love it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts