1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't stand it anymore.

Having this new pistola and not shooting it was driving me to the point of yanking my hair out!!! I grabbed my range bag and ammo... and off I went!!

Once I got on my lane and got sichiated, I took the opportunity to snap off a couple pics.

Sorry for the blurred pic. I had my camera set on macro, LOL.

First targets were set at the 7 yard line. I wanted to see how accurate it was at close range before I decided to move on down a bit.

Before...

After...

It was shooting just a bit left but was grouping nice and tight. The first 10-15 shots were with 230g Blazer Brass and from then on out was my reloads.

My reloads were 185g Speer SWC over 6.0g of Bullseye using a CCI 350 primer. Magazines used were both DW factory mags and 1 Wilson 47D.

Each target took and I estimate 20-30 rds. each. the gun performed flawlessly until I hit around the 75rd mark, then I started getting a couple failures to feed. Dropped the mag and noticed the frame ramp was pretty filthy. A quick swab with a Q-tip and some Hoppes #9 and the Ole Boy was back to popping 'em at 100%.

Cease fire was called and after gathering up my brass, I was off to the 20yd line.

Now we're gonna see what this baby will REALLY do (granted I could hit the broad side of a barn, LOL).

Finished up my SWC reloads, and again, I noticed I was hitting a bit left, but grouping decently considering the distance. Ran through my ammo, so I looked in my bag and found some JHP reloads I had done a while back, so I figgered since the SWC were running so good, I would send some HP's down range.

Load was 185g Nosler JHP over 5.0g Bullseye using CCI 300 primers.

Since I was running low on ammo and didn't want to shoot up all my HP's, I made a slight adjustment on my aimpoint and took slow concentrated shots.
(By the way... all shots from 7 and 20 yds. were fired from the standing modified Weaver stance.) I noticed right off I was hitting bullseye. I fired about 10-15 rounds and figgered I was good to go.

Now I don't know why I'm hitting left, but if it's user error (which it probably is) then maybe my points of impact will straighten up the next time I shoot. Maybe not. If i'm still hitting left, then I will see about setting up a bag and taking some shots from a rest.

Target at 20 yds....

The grouping to the left is taking a shot about every second. Just long enough to re-aquire (sp?) my sight picture.

After making my aim adjustment, which is designated by my makeshift crosshair and taking my slow concentrated shots... I was hitting dead center, as indicated by the point of my pen.

All in all... I am MORE than impressed with the performance of the DW CBOB considering all but just a few rounds were reloads.

I'm happier than a tomcat with a mouth full of Tweety bird!!:rock:

I don't know what enlightenment necessarily looks like, but I kinda had a funny look on my face when all was said and done... FP-10 all over my glasses and everything!!

Until next time.... :rock:

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
Excellent range report Numbers!!! That last pic scared the crap out me.:eek: I think I've been blinded, I'm suein' ya.:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
Shootin good for a guy that has obviously had TOO MUCH COFFEE. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
And THAT boys and girls is how you do a range report! Excellent job Numbers and congrats!:rock::rock:

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Great report :rock::biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank ya fellers!! :D

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Johnny Numbers,
Outstanding Range report and pics. As for your shooting to the Left if you had that Crazy Smirk on your face the whole time, that is why it happens.......................:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Clyde

BTW Welcome to the COTEP Brother.....................

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Johnny Numbers,
Outstanding Range report and pics. As for your shooting to the Left if you had that Crazy Smirk on your face the whole time, that is why it happens.......................:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Clyde
I wuz afraid that might be the case. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to help that though. :confused: Once I started shootin that CBOB, it was all over.

Is that what I have to look forward to from now on? The whole DW thing must be a sickness. :eek:........................................ :rock: :D

BTW Welcome to the COTEP Brother.
[walks up to podium]

"I would to thank my fellow brothers within this here sub-forum, who led me in the direction of this here enlightenment. Without all ewe's help and direction, I would probably still be walking down the path of 1911 frustration. Since mine eye's have been officially opened, with all ewe's help.... I would like express upon ewe's, my most humblest, THANK YOU!!!"

;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Excellent
My new CBOB was shooting a little left too, but after about 200 rounds "it" or "me" started shooting dead on.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Nice shooting and I'm glad to hear you got her to the range!
I love the pics, but I still stand by my comments about the last one that I left in the COTEP member picture thread.......:rock: :biglaugh:
Glad to have you around the forum!
Sarge

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again guys!!!

Nice shooting and I'm glad to hear you got her to the range!
I love the pics, but I still stand by my comments about the last one that I left in the COTEP member picture thread.......
Glad to have you around the forum!
Sarge
Thanks Sarge and fair enough,LOL!!

Now if I can just make up my mind on what set of your grips I want. :confused::D

·
Registered
610 Posts
Around here, there is a saying....

"Grinning like a mule eating briars", I think that last pic pretty much covers it. :biglaugh:

My rear sight is adjustable, check yours. Just loosen the set screw and bring your sight in line with your point of aim.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Great gun choice and very nice shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My rear sight is adjustable, check yours. Just loosen the set screw and bring your sight in line with your point of aim.
I just looked and yes, mine has a set screw as well. I'll mess with it the next time I go to the range. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts