1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new Colt "New Agent" compact .45 1911 yesterday.

I had been shopping for a new 9mm that was a little more concealable on my body frame (I'm 5'8, 150 lbs, thin) than my Taurus Millennium Pro, when I saw this new Colt - and fell in love immediately. It's about the same size as my Taurus, but the grip is thinner, being a single stack (holds 7+1) and it printed less under my shirt than my Taurus or my Sig P232 .380.

I loved the idea of being able to carry a .45 for self defense.

I took it out to my backyard range today. I have never shot a .45 before, and was a little apprehensive before the first shot about all the recoil discussions I've read in various forums. I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised to find that while it kicks a little more than my 9mm, it wasn't much different than my old .357 - in no way hard to control and very comfortable to shoot. As a matter of fact, the recoil wasn't as sharp as a 9mm, it just felt like a firmer but gentler push to the rear. So much for worrying about shooting a .45 - I'm a pretty small guy, and doubt it would be "too much" for anyone.

What an beautiful trigger - single action, smooth, requires very little travel and very little pressure before firing. Again, much like my old S&W 686 in single action mode. It's a joy to shoot.

I shot 100 rounds through it today, and loved it more with each round. In my opinion, it's much easier to shoot accurately in single action than it is with the longer DA pull on any of my other guns.

I was also surprised how accurate the new "trench" site is. This particular gun doesn't have raised sites, but uses a trench that goes the length of the frame. The intent, I assume, is to make it more pocketable, with less to snag on something. This little gun actually fits in the pockets of my shorts.

With the last 17 rounds in my box, I set up a new target at 7 yards to see how well I could shoot it using the trench sites in rapid fire without taking too much time to sight-in, as would probably be the case with a real-life armed encounter. The photo is attached - certainly more than adequate for self defense!

Gander wanted $999 for them, but I found a dealer on GunBroker.com who has 10 of them and got it new in the box for $735. I'm now "sold" on the 1911!

I love this gun - it will be my daily carry from now on.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since they're Colt OEM grips, I'm sure a phone call to Colt would do the trick......

From their web site:

To order parts or find the nearest Parts Distributor to you,
call 1-800-962-COLT(2658).

·
Registered
518 Posts
That's a really nice pistol and a great range report. But you must be feeding your 9mm's steroids!

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Good report. I've eyeballed one of those at my local shop a few times and wondered about them. Nice to hear a first hand, and first time, report.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ok I got one too and have about 150 rounds through it so far and I love it.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Great report PakWann! Nice shooting with a wee gun too!

Can't wait to get mine back from Colt.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm going to go check out a New Agent tomorrow. Are tools necessary to field strip these? I'm hoping it's a hands only process!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts