1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First day at the range with my new TRP I became a rather unhappy owner. First 50 or so rounds were fired using the factory mags, then I switched to my Wilson Combat 8RD mags. After I fired off the first 8 shots from a 47D and I noted that the slide went forward after the last shot was fired. :scratch: Found out that only the factory mag will lock back the slide 100% of the time on an empty mag. When I tried the remaining WC mags I discovered that two of them ALMOST NEVER function properly, needles to say I was very surprised.

Does anyone know if Srpringfield makes their "factory" mag or do they buy them OEM from another manufacturer? Through the "Loaded Coupon" I have the option of buying additional 7RD or 10RD mags from Springfield at a rather nice price, tempting offer??? Before I purcahse any more factory mags I'd like to hear if anyone out there in 1911 land has had any issues with the Springfield 10 rounders?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Not an expert on this, but I tried Chip McCormick mags and had the same issues. I now shoot factory 7 & 8 round Springfield / Colt mags only and all my issues went away.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You may just have a tight fit on the slide stop that will wear in with some more break-in rounds. I'm going thru the same thing now with my new 10-8 Operator.

·
Registered
534 Posts
NH2AZ,

Congrats on the pistol and good luck sorting out the mags. Just give it sometime and shoot it alittle more like another member has already stated.

FWIW, I use my 2 factory mags and 2 Cobra Tripp mags. I have the "old" version of the mags, not the new Tripp mags that just came out not to long ago. Both the Tripp and factory mags work in my gun 100%.

I hope you come to love your TRP as much as I do mine. Sadly I don't get to shoot her as much as I would like, but when I do she treats me well.

·
Banned
565 Posts
I've heard of that happening with Wilson's and the TRP. If I recall when my TRP was new it failed to lock once with a Wilson but has always worked fined since.
If it really bugs you call Springfield and ask them, they really seem customer oriented, my guess is though that it will likely wear in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ditto

Had the same failure to lock back with Les Baer magazines in my new TRP. I was trying LB mags because the stock magazines were giving me many failures to feed, and I've successfully used LB mags for several years in my longside Trophy Match pistols.

The Springfield mag shell looks to be well made, but, holding a TRP magazine next to a Les Baer magazine, the Springfield magazine-catch slot appears to be at a different height. This weekend I'll be trying Tripp's follower-and-spring sets in the Springfield magazines.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The factory mags work great, and the ones you can buy with the loaded coupon are the same. I'd get a bunch of those and stick with them.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have the lowest opinion of the Wilson mags. I haven't had them run well in 2 springers or my para.

On the other hand, I think that the Tripp research mags could cost another $15 each and I'd still own 8 of them. I have about 1500 rounds in the TRP I bought last month and have had ZERO feed stoppages with the factory mags or the Tripps.

Wilsons are old news.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the feedback. As BattlePack observed on his 10-8 Operator the fit on my TRP is very tight. Hopefully this will help improve accuracy. I actually have a tough time installing the lock back lever because the spring tensoin is so great. I have to use the wooden end of a long Q Tip (so not to scratch the finish) to depress the "bullet end" of the pin so that the lever can be pushed back in place. Hopefully in time things will improve on the TRP after I've had a chance to put more rounds down range. Oh what a shame, I'll have to spend more time at the range:rock: I'm going to pick up more of the factory mags via the loaded coupon and just keep on shooting and enjoying.

On the range the initial accuracy, shooting from 7 yds, was not quite what I expected. Point of impact appeared high compared to point of aim. This could all be due to my old eyes. Next visit I plan to shoot the TRP from a Ransom rest to check pistol's accuracy, this should be MUCH more accurate than my shaky paws. I'll post the results.

Thanks again to all and Merry Christmas

·
Registered
525 Posts
With my new TRP, I've found that it'll group at under an 1" at 15 yards (one mag worth). The only negatives I've found thus far have been the 'combat' sights aren't worth a poop (I don't care for novak's scalloped out rear, it distracts me from the front sight) and the gun was so tight when new that it needed a LOT of lube to stay lubed. It is improving on that front, but it still runs itself dry after a couple of hundred rounds.

Seth

·
Registered
534 Posts
I might be wrong, but if you read the manual for your TRP, I believe it says to hold it at a 6 o'clock sight picture. If you aren't taking that into affect, it would appear to be hitting high.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd call SA then because I use both WC 47D's and CMC Power Mags in my TRP and I have never had a slide lock back issue (or any other mag related issues) with either of them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had the same problems with the 47Ds and Kimber mags. Chip McCormick power mags locked my TRP's slide back after the last round every time. I have 6 of them and each one works perfect.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did call SA the other day and was told that there was nothing they could do about the mag issue because they can only guarantee proper operation of their pistol with the factory mags installed and not aftermarket ones. I was somewhat surprised at their response. I spoke with someone from their customer service dept. and didn't talk to Deb at the custom shop.

Again, I've NEVER had any issues with WC mags in the other two 1911's that I own. For the time being I'll buy some additional 7RD factory mags from SA. My hope is that as things break in and become smoother on my TRP, the lock back problem will solve itself.

Would someone please post a picture of their 1911/TRP with an SA 10RD mag installed? I might be interested in getting a couple of 10 rounders to use at the range and I would like to see how far out of the beveled mag well they extend.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't shoot L10, so I can't help you there (it does stick out a good bit). I own 5 Tripp Research mags, all 8 rounders, and they ALL lock back the slide and feed flawlessly. No exceptions and I shoot a LOT. I put nearly 300 rounds downpipe yesterday in the fog and rain with zero feed stoppages or slide back issues.

I would seriously consider a magazine gear shift. The plastic follower in the Wilson may not have enough rigidity to push up the slide stop in your tight pistol. And regarding Springfield's response, I am not surprised in the slightest. Just like a car manufacturer can't guarantee performance with non-OEM parts, SA has taken the same position.... and rightfully so. If I don't make it, I'm sure not going to tell you it works with what I do make.

Seth

·
Banned
565 Posts
NH2AZ said:
I did call SA the other day and was told that there was nothing they could do about the mag issue because they can only guarantee proper operation of their pistol with the factory mags installed and not aftermarket ones. I was somewhat surprised at their response. I spoke with someone from their customer service dept. and didn't talk to Deb at the custom shop.

Again, I've NEVER had any issues with WC mags in the other two 1911's that I own. For the time being I'll buy some additional 7RD factory mags from SA. My hope is that as things break in and become smoother on my TRP, the lock back problem will solve itself.

Would someone please post a picture of their 1911/TRP with an SA 10RD mag installed? I might be interested in getting a couple of 10 rounders to use at the range and I would like to see how far out of the beveled mag well they extend.
I guess I can understand the point that they have no control over what magazine someone might use and its hard to guarantee that a given pistol will work with any 1911 magazine you stuff in it but the Wilson is a quality piece. If you get just anyone at customer service I guess such a response wouldn't especially surprise me.
I tend to think your issue will resolve. Obviously the answer is that you have to shoot it more. What torture eh?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
NH2AZ,
Sorry to hear about your mag issues. However, this is very common in 1911's. For example, I have several Pachmayr, Colt, Kimber, CMC mags. I have 2 Les Baers; on my one Baer, all these mags would work; on the other Baer, only the Kimber & Baer mag will work. The other mags woudn't even seat. I haven't tried the CMC mags on my 2nd Baer.

Personally, I don't like the stock SA mags. Feeds lips are just too tight, and the bullet feed angle seems lower that other mags.

CMC powermags would be a good choice, but I would make a search through this forum to see how many members have had good luck with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a TRP as well and had the same issues with my 8 round Wilson Combat mags. I ordered the rebuild kit from Tripp Research which included a different spring and follower (for $7.00 if I remember right). After install they run great. It did take the 8 rounders down to 7 but well worth it. A little over 4000 rounds through it and the slide has locked back 100% of the time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My MC Operator didnt like the Springfield mags it came with or Wilsons...Finally got some McCormicks and it loves them...At least McCormicks are cheaper than Wilsons!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts