1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I picked up the CD today. It is the compact model, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if it is one of the older ones, or newer style. First it has the wood grips flared ejection port, model number starts with CD, but does not have the newer style sight shown in the picture. Also the inspection tag has a date of 12/99 on it.

Got it home, cleaned and lightly lubed it and headed for the range with four different brands of fmj ammo. Of all 300 rounds I put through it, I THINK i successfully fired 2 full magazines without some problem. I use the 2 mags that came with it along with a brand new wilson, a used wilson, and 2 used colts my buddy had with him. None of the mags seemed to make any difference. Many failures to feed, failures to extract. Had one stovepipe with a live round. Double feeds, casings hitting my head when they did extract. Bascially the gun is pretty much usless at this point. HOWEVER, I knew this might be a problem from some of the other posts on this list, and one of the only reasons I was willing to accept I could have a problem is because of what others have said of KBI fixing the problem guns. Well it seems I do have a problem gun, and will contact them first thing Monday morning. Hopefully they can rectify the problem and it won't take very long. I'll post back my progress with KBI.

I'll add some pictures:

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
95 Posts
This looks just like mine and I believe that it's a pre-enhanced model. I didn't have the problems that you talk of but I did have a problem of it not extracting some Cor-Bon 185 +P's. I had to send mine in because of it shooting so low (about 6" at 25 yds.w/4-5" groups) While it was there they fixed the reverse plug so it would slide out instead of having to tap it out and it looks like they may have polished to chamber somewhat. Before I sent it in the chamber had a tan color to it and now it's looks shinier. I've very satisfied with mine so far but like you said it will eject the brass back into your forehead on occasion. Since I got it back it now shoots at point of aim with a set of Ajax polymer grips on it. With the factory grips it still shot about a 1" low but the groups are much tighter now. One word of caution don't do anything to the gun yourself as it will void the warranty. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dropped off my CS personally to KBI this morning. They said approx 3 weeks. I found out that I did NOT purchase a newer Enhanced series like I thought I had. It is an older model that just happpened to have some of the newer style parts/enhancements. I'm kinda bummed because I ASSuMEd that it was an Enhanced from some of the features that were on it. Specifically the wood grips, combat trigger/hammer. However it is not
Nobodys fault but my own for not doing some more research on this exact gun.

Hopefully KBI/Daly will fix it up to 100%. I sure hope so!

Edit: BTW, they said that the newer lower profile sights could NOT be fitted to the old guns. The dovetails are different.

And they all seemed VERY nice in person. From the lady at the front desk to Rick of whom I spoke to in person about the pistol.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got a call from Rick at Charles Daly. He said they deemed the pistol "unrepairable" and that they are replacing it with a brand new Stainless Enhanced model. I now need to get the new gun shipped to local FFL to transfer it. Just want to keep everyone updated. This is 2 days after I personally dropped it off. So far things look good on the part of Charles Daly service. I'll post when I receive the new pistol.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

My FFL sent the letter first thing last Monday morning. I waited patiently the WHOLE week
and finally called him on Friday to see if he got the pistol in, no pistol. Yesterday I tried a few times to call KBI, but could not get service on the phone so I left a message. Service called me back at 8am this morning (before I got into work) and left a message for me. Apparently the stainless version that Rick said he had, he did not have. Also said he had NO CS models in stock at this time, but hopefully would get a shipment in today. Interesting since he told me last week he had a stainless there waiting to ship. hmmmmm

I tried calling back, but once again they were on the phone. I was out of my office and he called me back again. Doesn't it always go this way, I hate phone tag. Said that he did get a CS but it was in Blue and was the Enhanced and was going to send it out tomorrow. I called and finally was able to talk to Rick. I asked what happened to the Stainless that he said he would ship tomorrow a few weeks ago. He told me he must have been incorrect and thought he had that gun, but did not. hmmmmmm

So, the gun should go out tomorrow. I am getting a replacement for my out of the box broken gun. Should I be upset I'm not getting the stainless? I am, but only because I was told so. Very poor business practice if you ask me. If you don't have it, don't say so. If you DO make a promise, keep it. Period. I also asked if this gun "would work" when I received it. He said he "hoped so" and that he was pulling it directly out of stock and was not going to test firing it. We will see. I was initially impressed with the service, but sadly not so much now. The state of this new gun will probably sway my future CD purchase decisions.

It will be 3 weeks until my FFL recieves the new gun. I will have to drive down there, fill out all the forms again. Wait another MD 8 days. AND I'm not guaranteed this pistol will work.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
JRF: Might I ask what you paid for your CD?

I've learned that with the lower end 1911 makers it goes 50/50 as to whether they will work or not. I've got a friend who purchased a CD and it works very good, going on 6k rounds with no malf's. At the last gun show he found another CD for $385. I told him to wait and search for a Springfield Mil-spec that runs $429-450. He didn't want to and he bought the CD. This particular gun jammed every other round no matter what magazine was used. He called the distributor and sent the gun back, after 8 weeks of calls and waiting he got another one back in the mail, same frame but all new parts and a new upper. At the range, after 600 rounds we noticed a crack on the slide near the ejection port. After another round of calls he sent the slide in and finally received a new one, he re-assembled the gun and took it to the local gun shop and traded his CD in for a Colt 1991 blue. He got $175 trade in for the CD and the Colt was tagged $475.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid $425 for it locally. The SA Mil-Spec Officers probably would have cost me about $75-100 more locally. In hind sight..... I guess I figured for the savings I could deal with sending it back once to get it straightend out. I have read good stories about KBI/Daly fixing the guns that are bad so I figured I'd give it a try. Hopefully the new Enhanced series is going to be much better than the gun I had which was REALLY bad.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have recently lost faith in the Charles Daly service center. I know that I have not been a "shooter" for as long as some people, but I can identify problems with a good deal of accuracy. I liked the 2 pistols that I got from KBI, but I think that they may have a crop of green gunsmiths. Whenever I sent my stuff back, they just replaced things, they didn't try to fix the gun. I finally took the pistols to a local gunsmith with a stellar reputation and he repaired them to perfect operation.

Would I buy KBI imported firearm again, YES.
Would I ship them back to KBI for repair again? Probably not.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gryphon,

NOW you tell me you have lost faith in the Charles Daly service!

My gun finally came in on Sat. I went down on Monday to fill out the paperwork and took a few minutes to field strip it and check it out. To me it actually looks WORSE than the one they took. Now that doesn't mean it won't work, just that the trigger felt like sand was on the rails. One of the ends of the recoil spring was bent and had obviously been "rubbing" on something since the finish was worn "shiny" on it. This trigger has even sharper edges than that last one! Yikes!

I should have it in a week. I'll take it to the range to make sure if it runs. If not, I'll seriously consider letting the local smith fix it.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 10-02-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.