1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW! I Just purchased this awesome gun Friday. Saturday morning I cleaned and lubed it. Then waited for the local range to open. I sent the first target 15yds down range. I should say that at this range with my Kimber Custom CDP or Pro CDP I'd normally shoot about a 2" - 2.5" group, Imagine my surprise when I ate the center out of the target in a 1" group. I was instantly in love. I proceeded to run over 250 rounds through the gun and never shot a grouping over 2" at 20 yards. The trigger was crisp. not a single FTF. all brass was properly ejected. The felt recoil was much less than on my Kimber. Recovery time was better also. It took to convince myself that anything could be worth the price difference between my Kimber and the Wilson. I am totally in love and am planning on selling one of my Kimbers and one of my H&K .45s to aquire another one of these wonderful guns that Wilson builds. My only concern with this particular gun is the plastic guide rod, not sure if I like that. In inout on that topic would be appreciated.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Danger -- It's my understanding from reading other posts here that the plastic guide rod takes the place of a shock buff. Apparently, the guide rod wears out as it cushions the slide impact; once it's worn, you simply replace it with another from Wilson's.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
tetly, you may not have understood the other posts. The plastic guide rod does not take the place of the shok buff, but works in conjunction with it.

Danger, go ahead and buy a new metal guide rod made out of metal. Whether you get a short one like the plastic (~$5-9 depending on brand, I think Wilson's generic ones are $5), or a full length guide rod, if you want it to last, you gotta have metal.

My CQB came with two, but no instructions that the guide rods were disposable, but there was ample information on the shok buffs and the fact they needed to be replaced. See the following link on the Wilson site. I queried Wilson as to the issue with the plastic guide rod.
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3&FORUM_ID=2&CAT_ID=5&Topic_Title=Reason+for+Plastic+Guide+Rod+in+CQB%3F&Forum_Title=General+Discussion

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
After going through both plastic guiderods I called Wilson to buy a steel one. Guess what?
NO CHARGE! They even paid the postage. I love this company!

------------------
All that you need to do to win is survive!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I put a full length guide rod in mine. In all honesty, I didn't notice any difference but I feel better about it and that counts!

Tim

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Danger,
Congrats! I feel the same about my MP. It and I simply get better after each session.
(Imagine that)
Being from Memphis, are you a member at MSSA?

If so, drop me a line and we'll go ring'em out.

J Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not to change the subject but it looks like we have a lot of Memphis "folks" reading this thread.
I am also in Memphis. I also love Wilsons but I have not had the good fortune to acquire one yet. I currently shoot a Kimber at Rangemaster about three time a week.

I am saving my pennies for a Protector or a CQB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts