1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a IAI M1 Carbine a few weeks back and have been function testing it. I've run about 300 rounds through it now. Initially I had some FTF problems but I identified a bad magazine. Other than that no problems at all. I haven't mounted a scope on it to test accuracy, but off the bench with the peep sights (not the best for accuracy) it shoots about 2-3 inches at 50 yds. Indoor range. I'm going to change the stock for a synthetic from RamLine but other than that I am well satisfied with this carbine. It appears to be well built, a new manufacture GI clone. Almost forgot, it doesn't like Seller & Beloit ammo. Anyone else have experience with the IAI?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My brother owns an IAI Carbine, and it is a blast to shoot. For some reason, it seems to prefer American Eagle over Winchester ammo. Right now he's got two 15-round mags which he keeps in a butt-stock pouch, and a 30-round mag. Eventually, he's going to replace the metal handguard with a wooden one to give it a more WWII-like appearance, and add a bayonet. (Which, to be more precise, would give it more of a Korean War-era appearance.)

Between my brother and I, we have an M1 Garand, an M1 Carbine and now a 1911 (Springfield Mil-Spec). Eventually, we'll add a Springfield 1903 and maybe a semi-auto Thompson to complete our WWII firearms collection.

[This message has been edited by GI-45 (edited 10-28-2001).]

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
A guy had one of these at the range a few weeks back and I fired a few magazines through it. Gun functioned flawlessly and was a ball to shoot. Bad part was it reminded me of the days you could buy a military one for $200 bucks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hmm, you guys seem to know what your talking about, so's I gotta ask you a question, Ok?
I have been given a 'Saginaw' (spelling) M1 Carbine, 1943 issue. The stock is smooth (not chewed up),the s/n match, and the bore shines like a new dime. Trouble is, I don't want it. I like hand guns. I want to sell it at the next local gun show, but how do I know what to ask, and what my final price should be? Thanks!

·
Registered
817 Posts
b.b. I'd go check with one of the M1 Carbine boards and have an appraiser look at you Carbine. I'd love to have an original war relic. I just sold a Nat. Ord. Carbine because it was an aftermarket gun with a mix of GI parts. But I've seen what you are describing go for $500+ As far as an asking price, I always go $50 higher than I want, when they start haggling, hesitate at first about dropping the price. They might go the full ammount. Then be "generous" and drop it $25. Walk away if they won't bite. If they really want it, they will follow you around and keep asking questions about it. Then set the hook and reel them in. The Carbine I sold went exactly that way. That guy followed me around like a stray cat I fed on my back porch. After the 2nd question, I knew I had him. As you can tell, I have a lot of fun selling!! I actually got $25 more than my lowest price I was willing to pay. Careful though, sometimes those guys are sharper than you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A nice correct Saginaw Carbine will bring between 575.00 and 700.00 dollars. depending on if it is a correct gun and it has not been abused a great deal . They do not have the desirability of the other GM carbine which is more plentiful Inland. However Inland was the high water mark in quality of these guns.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, you guys talked me into it, at least that's what I'll tell the wife. My brother and I ordered 2 IAI carbines today with walnut stocks, now for the accessories.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts