1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been on a waiting list at the gun shop for a couple of months, and finally got the call Saturday morning that my Sig P238 had come in. This is a 15 oz. 380 acp pistol, with about a 2.5" barrel.

Took it to the range Sunday and three shooting buddies and I put about 90+ rounds thru it. No failures or hiccups of any kind. We each shot a mag full (6 rounds) at 5 yds as fast as we could pull the trigger. We also shot at 10 & 15 yards with a little more accuracy. At 10 & 15 yds, we all kept our shots within the 8" 10-ring.

Everyone commented on the lack of perceived recoil, and the ease of getting back on target for follow-up shots. Although the trigger appears to be a typical 1911 style trigger, it actually is a hinged trigger. But the trigger is very smooth with very little take up, no creep and no overtravel.

IMO, Sig has hit a home run with this little pistol. My biggest complaint so far, is that only one mag comes with the gun, and additional mags are $40.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Congrad's! Nice to hear that Sig maintains quality in this latest mustang like design. I was thinking about picking one up but .380 ammo is a bit pricey. What did this Sig cost if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sig P238

Took it to the range Sunday and three shooting buddies and I put about 90+ rounds thru it. No failures or hiccups of any kind.
Good news!
I picked up the same gun at one of the local shops. I was looking for something small for summer carry and there it was at a deal I could not refuse:). The only one they had and a six month wait to order one, (they probably exaggerate but even 2-3 months would have ruined it for me).
I know the ammo is tough to find, the store which does some decent volume had none. They did sell it to me with 6 Federal HP's in the mag and it came with a Desantis soft holster which isn't bad.
Glad to read yours shoots well. Hope I can find some ammo to test it out, I'm down to 5 rounds now:biglaugh:.

·
Super Moderator
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrad's! Nice to hear that Sig maintains quality in this latest mustang like design. I was thinking about picking one up but .380 ammo is a bit pricey. What did this Sig cost if you don't mind me asking?
I had to give $535 plus sales tax. I'm a pretty experienced "negotiator", but the gun shop would not negotiate on anything. I tried to get an extra mag thrown in - no deal. I tried to get them to eat the sales tax - no deal. They wouldn't even sell me a 2nd mag at their cost.

I had been on their waiting list since April, and this was the second one they received (so they told me). One of the employees bought the first one. Their attitude was, if you don't want it at our price, we've got a waiting list of 20+ people wanting it.

I've now put about another 100 rounds thru it. The only problem showing up is an occasional failure to extract and eject the last round in a mag. Since I only have one mag, and since it works OK most of the time, I'm having trouble determining the cause.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I’ve been anxious to buy one every since they were announced to be coming out… my only real issue is I have no idea how I’m going to find enough .380 ammo to make sure it’s reliable for carry – no one seems to have any and I don’t really want to start reloading for .380…

·
Registered
230 Posts
I dont' see a tunnel/plunger between the safety and the slide stop. Can you tell me what arrangement they use for tension and to retain the slide stop? A long time ago, I had a colt 380 government model that had nothing but the slide to retain the slide stop. During firing, the rounds in the magazine would push the slide stop into the takedown notch , partially disassemble the pistol and tie it up.

·
Super Moderator
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont' see a tunnel/plunger between the safety and the slide stop. Can you tell me what arrangement they use for tension and to retain the slide stop? A long time ago, I had a colt 380 government model that had nothing but the slide to retain the slide stop. During firing, the rounds in the magazine would push the slide stop into the takedown notch , partially disassemble the pistol and tie it up.
You're right, in that there's no tunnel/plunger for either the slide stop or the thumb safety.

I'm really not sure, nor able to determine exactly what retains the slide stop. I do know that the "notch" must be lined up much more exactly on this pistol compared to most 1911's in order to remove the slide stop.

Also, there is a "hair pin" wire clip embedded in the frame directly under the slide stop. It looks like this may play a role in retaining the SS, but I can't figure out how from looking at it.

I've now got about 600 rounds thru it and have had zero problem with the slide stop coming out during shooting. The only problem so far, is the occasional failure to extract the last fired case in a full mag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got to shoot mine today too.

Just got back from the range. Took my new P238 out and put about 100 rounds through it. Great little handling gun. No function problems at all. Quick to come back on target. I shot some cheap FMJ stuff that functioned perfectly, some Corbon DPX that functioned perfectly, but not the most accurate and some of the new Hornady Defense rounds that were the most accurate of the 3. Gun ran great and shot true to POA. Great little pocket gun in a 1911 Mustang format.

Thanks,
Redback

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm glad Colt finally brought back the Mustang...

... Oh wait, it's a Sig! :biglaugh:

Congrats. Great gun, and I hope you enjoy shooting it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're right, in that there's no tunnel/plunger for either the slide stop or the thumb safety.

I'm really not sure, nor able to determine exactly what retains the slide stop. I do know that the "notch" must be lined up much more exactly on this pistol compared to most 1911's in order to remove the slide stop.

Also, there is a "hair pin" wire clip embedded in the frame directly under the slide stop. It looks like this may play a role in retaining the SS, but I can't figure out how from looking at it.

I've now got about 600 rounds thru it and have had zero problem with the slide stop coming out during shooting. The only problem so far, is the occasional failure to extract the last fired case in a full mag.
I'm the new guy here. I've had my P238 for month or so now, part of which it spent back at Sig. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the occasional jams I've experienced are because of the slide stop pin working its way loose. I can see that the hairpin spring is used to hold the slide stop down when the magazine is still loaded or not there, but the pin moves out VERY easily and the slide immediately jams at the slide stop removal location. I can accomplish this with the slightest of pressure on the end of the pin protruding through the right side of the frame and I'm confident that the rigors of firing can also move it just enough to lock the slide up tight.

I see no effective means of positively retaining that pin. I've had this happen twice at the range while firing (out of 400 - 500 rounds total) and even once with the pistol unloaded at home just working the slide repetitively to see why it jammed at the range. I sent it back to Sig and they said they couldn't duplicate the problem and sent it back. I've tweaked them again by email to point out what I've seen since I've thought about this more.

I know what I'd do to fix this if I had any gunsmithing talents. I'd file the leading edge of the semicircular slide stop top so that the retracting slide pushed it into the frame instead of hitting it and stopping. I might even round the edge of the slide notch that hits it for the same purpose. But I don't want to screw up my warranty this soon, especially if there really is a problem that Sig will fix.

Needless to say, I'm not yet thrilled with this pistol's reliability.

I've tried to compare this arrangement to my "real" 1911 and I think the "tunnel/plunger" plays a significant role there in keeping the pin in place. I also have a suspicion that the hairpin spring in the 238 makes the problem worse rather than better with that little bend at the end that appears to contact the slide stop.

If I hear back from Sig, I'll report in.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
GRCtoo – if what I’m understanding what you are describing about the slide stop pin being loose, I think that everything that you are describing is normal for the P238/Mustang design… I have a P238 and it is just as you are describing and I haven’t had any issue with it interfering with function.

Can you describe the types of occasional jams you are mentioning?

On the P238, if you are experiencing failures to extract on the last round, it is almost always the magazine follower. Sig did a redesign of the magazine follower to address this issue with a more rounded follower (from what I gather, they will exchange it free of charge… all new one’s for the last couple of months have used the newer improved follower.

If you can describe the type of jam you are getting occasionally, we might be able to give a little more insight to help solve the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
P238 Jams

I really don't think it has anything to do with the magazines. I have three (I believe new ones...); they're all the same and I have experienced none of the issues I've seen about them. And one of the jams occurred with no magazine involved at all... (I'll explain).

The first jam happened at the indoor range where I bought the gun. The gun fired and when I realized it had jammed, I couldn't tell if the casing I saw partially inserted into the chamber was the new round or the empty casing of the round I had just fired so I had to be careful what I did with it so I couldn't examine it as much as I might have wanted. I realized the slide was stuck and wouldn't move either forward or backward. The lighting was poor at the firing point, but it appeared to me, in hindsight, that the slide had stopped at just about the point where you'd be able to remove the slide stop pin. I removed the magazine and "fiddled" with it, not realizing that at the time, and finally got the slide working again (probably because I inadvertently reseated the pin). Everything went fine from that point on that day. The same thing happened again on another day, but I still hadn't made the connection. The third and last time it happened was at home with the gun unloaded just operating the slide (no magazine involved) trying to figure out what was going on. The slide just locked up halfway in its travel. It still hadn't occurred to me that the slide stop pin might be involved (I'm apparently not that clever). It was at that point that I decided to contact Sig Sauer. They said to send it in for a checkup. Before I did that, I realized just how sensitive the operation of the slide was to lateral movement of the slide stop pin and how easy it was to move it. The slightest touch on the end of the pin on the right side of the frame (I mean just laying your finger on it...) while the slide was moving rearward and the slide would hang up on the removal notch every time. Since they found nothing wrong, it still does the same trick.

I really feel that since the pin moves so easily and it takes so little movement to jam the slide, the pin probably occasionally moves enough due to the jolting motions occurring during firing and hangs up the slide. I've communicated this theory to Sig and am awaiting a reply. I'm not holding my breath until I hear from them though...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts