1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good things are worth the wait. Although I only had to wait a little over a month than originally expected, it seemed like an eternity.

So it's finally here. My Thunder Ranch Comanche Hard Chromed in 45 ACP, of course. And it came with ambi-safety, which is ok with me.

So...........On to the range report.......

I ran a bore snake through the barrel and placed a few drops of break free oil in all of the typicl places before I began shooting.

I went through 400 rounds of Federal Red Box American Eagle in a little under two hours at my local indoor range. After every 100 rounds, I cleaned the barrel with a lightly oiled bore snake used a dry patch to wipe the feed ramp.

From the first mag load I tried to sling shot the slide. The first two or three magazine reloads, I had to release the slide stop to go into battery. By the third or fourth one it started to sling shot. Every mag load after that was done by sling shotting the slide and not using the slide stop. I was very, very pleased with this result.

I first used the three mags that came with the pistol, then a Wilson 47D, then several of my Chip McCormick Power Mags. After that I used any of the mags above in any order.

Throughout the entire first 400 rounds I did not have any failures of any kind.

It took me just a short time to find the point of impact. Like my other 1911's with night sights, if the front dot is slightly higher than the rear dots you'll be right on point of impact, barring any shooter problems. :D

If the weather is nice tomorrow, I'll do some outdoor shooting. I hear there are some bowling pins that have been terrorizing the country side. :biglaugh:

Ok......so enough jabberin.....here are the pics............

Once the hole got this large I was simply sending jacketed lead down range. I even shot a few double taps to see how the pistol would handle them.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Congrats, Looks like a winner!:D

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
That is just awesome. Looks great and work just how it should!

:rock:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
bjones4545 said:
If the weather is nice tomorrow, I'll do some outdoor shooting. I hear there are some bowling pins that have been terrorizing the country side. :biglaugh:
Just as I figured we were have some really great weather on Sunday......80 degrees & sunny. I was doing some fence repairs and other outside chores, wearing shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt, while taking advantage of the unseasonably warm weather.

Well, whenever your talking about the weather, as we say here is Texas, just wait five minutes and it will change.

About 3:30p or so a cold front blew in dropping the temperature from 80 degrees to somewhere in the low 50's. I went inside to put on some jeans and a long sleeve shirt. When I came back outside to finish what I was doing, a pack of rogue bowling pins had entered through the hole in the fence that I was repairing.

I warned them that they were tresspassing and told them to leave my property. To my surprise they kept coming towards me with that evil, menacing, terrorizing look that so many bowling pins have these days. I don't know where they get it. Maybe it's from hanging around in alleys all of their lives.....but I'll tell you these bowlings pins meant to do me harm. The leader of the pack was using fowl language and then mentioned my family. Well......that was the last straw......about that time, my son happened to come outside with the video camera and captured the ensuing fire fight.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
bjones4545 said:
...When I came back outside to finish what I was doing, a pack of rogue bowling pins had entered through the hole in the fence that I was repairing...they kept coming towards me with that evil, menacing, terrorizing look that so many bowling pins have these days...
Thank God you were properly armed and able to deal appropriately with this clear case of hostile aggression!

Nice pistol, BTW. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here's an update on my TRC range report.

After shooting 1k+ rounds of 230gr jacketed round nose with virtually no failures*, I decided to test some hollow point ammo.

Not being a penny pincher, but also not having a disposable amount of ammo money, I decided I would shoot 4 rounds each of Speer GDHP. I had 185gr, 200gr and 230gr on hand. Using the three LB mags that came with the TRC, I proceeded to throw almost $1 per round down range. All shots were at point of aim. However, the last round of each mag failed to feed and the slide locked back as if the mag was empty. Sooooo.....here goes 8 rounds of 200gr to test whether it was the low number of rounds (4) that I placed in the mag, the ammo, or the TRC. To my relief, all 8 rounds shot at point of aim with no failures. I also shot these rounds a little faster.....about 2 rounds per second to simulate a self defense scenario.

So, being New Years eve, I plan to shoot a few hundred rounds today and perform the TRC's first field cleaning. Up until now, it has only been cleaned after every 100 rounds using an oiled bore snake, lighltly oiled patch and a dry patch as well as applying a drop of oil in all the right places.

*I only experienced a couple of failures to feed due to my support hand only limp wrist. However, since that was shooter induced, once I stiffened my wrist, while shooting support hand only, the problem was resolved.

BTW....I decided to eerrrrrr...."bite the bullet" and try some of these ....they fed and fired just like all the others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts