1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pic from yesterday's range trip. I shot rapidly and free hand due to approaching dark. The targets were at 15 yards. I stuck them onto old targets, so there were pre-existing holes in the white.

I fired the brand new Protector at the top target. 50 rounds 230 grain ball reloads, and two mags of HST +P. Not a single hiccup. The trigger will need a small bit of stoning, as there were a couple of very minute rough spots. I'll shoot a few hundred rounds first to see if it might smooth out on its own.

I shot the X-TAC Compact at the bottom target. Same ammo amount and type. The trigger on this pistol, out of the bag, was absolutely perfect. This is one helluva sweet shootin pistol, and will soon be my EDC.

As I said, I shot very quickly, as my goal was to run some rounds through the pistols in the small time window. At that range and speed, I'm very happy with the results.

Stay safe folks.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Nice shooting. How do you like the checkering on the X ?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love everything about the X. I actually find its checkering pattern to be easier on the hand than the fine checkering on the Protector.

I'm a trigger freak, as I imagine most 1911 owners are. After experiencing the perfect trigger on the X, as well as one of my Kimbers, I'm no longer happy with anything else.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The triggers tend to smooth out after 500 rounds or so. If the gun is brand new, I would give it time before I messed with it. JMHO
That's my intention, and I thank you for the advice. It's just funny that the X trigger was "butter" from the get go. I mean, it's scary smooth, and if I'm not careful can lead to unintentional double taps. I honestly think it might be too light for concealed carry, factoring in the adrenalin factor.

·
Premium Member
13,947 Posts
That's my intention, and I thank you for the advice. It's just funny that the X trigger was "butter" from the get go. I mean, it's scary smooth, and if I'm not careful can lead to unintentional double taps. I honestly think it might be too light for concealed carry, factoring in the adrenalin factor.
You'll get used to it I think...Remember; there are a bunch of police (at least in some major cities) who are forced to use heavy triggers "for safety". Unintended consequence - statistically, high miss rate by police. Of course there is the stress factor, but I'll bet the heavy trigger exacerbates the situation.
A sweet trigger is one of the biggest determinates of excellent-accuracy IMHO.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'll get used to it I think...Remember; there are a bunch of police (at least in some major cities) who are forced to use heavy triggers "for safety". Unintended consequence - statistically, high miss rate by police. Of course there is the stress factor, but I'll bet the heavy trigger exacerbates the situation.
A sweet trigger is one of the biggest determinates of excellent-accuracy IMHO.
And is perhaps the biggest asset of the 1911.

One is not supposed to place the finger on the trigger until ready to fire. I can assure you that, with this trigger, I will absolutely follow that advice/rule.

The X has a trigger travel adjustment. I need to explore backing it out a bit.

There are many that will say I am crazy for saying this, but for the money, the X is a very, very fine weapon. I'm sure there are those on both ends of the spectrum who are scoffing at this statement. Too bad. :D

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The X has a trigger travel adjustment. I need to explore backing it out a bit.
Harley/kimber,

You probably don't want to do that. Adding weight to a 1911 trigger is usually accomplished by adding tension to the sear spring. The sear spring is a leaf spring which you simply bend by hand to add or remover tension but you'll want to have a trigger gauge on hand to verify the amount of weight added.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks .45, but I was talking about reset, not poundage. The goal in my mind is to cut down on double taps by increasing trigger travel. Am I way off base here?

·
Registered
257 Posts
How many rounds do you have through the x-tac? I would not adjust the trigger yet, you just need to get used to it, when you do you will love it. I have a wilson compact that breaks at 4# and its perfect, did take some getting used to though. Also another very important thing to remember is that with a sensitive trigger fatigue plays a role. I dont shoot more than 150 to 200 rds in any one range session with a compact and I use a very strong grip because if you pull that baby out in a defense situation you wont be holding it lightly :) and if you do hold it lightly you will increase the likelyhood of FTF's with a compact.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My X-Tac compact is my favorite 1911. If I only wanted a range gun, I'd want an X-Tac full size frame and a 5" barrel. I really do like the "checkering" pattern on the X, better than any other treatment I've used. The X-Tac for me is by far the most value for the money of any of the Wilson 1911's. There are no bad ones. Personal tastes and primary use makes a difference in the choices we all make when we buy one. But for a shooter and an EDC, I personally can't see a better choice.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
If you would like your trigger adjusted you can send them in we can make them any way you want them but please, please don't try to tweak anything yourself. Usually what you are feeling is a wee bit of finish or blast media somewhere that will work it'w way out during break-in or cleaning. The overtravel screw sets trigger "overtravel" after the hammer follows.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you would like your trigger adjusted you can send them in we can make them any way you want them but please, please don't try to tweak anything yourself. Usually what you are feeling is a wee bit of finish or blast media somewhere that will work it'w way out during break-in or cleaning. The overtravel screw sets trigger "overtravel" after the hammer follows.
I ain't about to argue with THE MAN.

Thanks WCR. Don't get me wrong--I love the trigger. I'll just have to train and shoot a ton. This evening I spent some quality time at the reloading bench, so I will hit the range again tomorrow.

Jim

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Nice shooting! I second the others, shoot it some more, it'll smooth out. Glad you're liking the X Compact, I have one ordered through George ought to be here in late January, can't wait!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts