1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Range Update:

Put 100 rounds through the Eclipse today and was very happy. Extremely accurate (even for my lousy shooting skills), excellent feel in the hand, superb trigger, and almost no problems.

I did have 1 failure to feed. Actually, with 1 round left in the magazine, the slide locked back. Had to hit the slide release, which chambered the last round and it fired perfectly. I think this has something to do with how the magazine is contacting the slide release. I say this because with the magazine empty and the slide locked back it was impossible to release the slide. You had to drop the magazine first before the slide release would work. I hit the mag with my Dremel this afternoon after the range (see photo) and was able to get it so that you could release the slide with the empty mag insterted (and it still locks back). So we'll see if this helps when I go back out for the next round.

Also, quick question. You can see in one of the pictures that there are little copper looking marks on the top of the slide. I can't remove them with normal cleaner. Is this normal and any ideas about removing?

Thanks for everyone's input on magazines. Seems like Wilson is popular and it is also what the gun shop recommended, so I will have to pick up a couple.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Also, quick question. You can see in one of the pictures that there are little copper looking marks on the top of the slide. I can't remove them with normal cleaner. Is this normal and any ideas about removing?
Get some Hoppes #9 and soak a patch in it. Put the patch over the brass marks and let it sit on there for 20 minutes. Use a VERY stiff nylon toothbrush and rub it. This should "spread and thin the brass marks." Wipe it down with the wet patch. Repeat if necessary.

Avoid the use of steel wool or a steel brush.

These marks typically disappear when the springs take a set and the extractor finds it's "comfort point."

The lock back can also be caused by the slide stop hitting the ogive of the bullet. Look for a copper mark on the slide stop. If you see it on a little pointed edge, file that point a little and round the sharp edge. Make sure you don't take too much off the slide stop and that it will still contact the mag follower.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts